Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Found some jelliton stuff inside heads please advice

Found some jelliton stuff inside heads

I’ve been having misfires on a couple cylinders both even # on my 02 chevy express 1500 w/ the vortec 5.7.

I was hopping misfires could possiablley be caused my a leaking intake manifold gasket.

Van has been consuming radiator coolant occassionalley I observe white smoke out exhaust not every time.

When I removed the manifold found a load of jelly stuff inside heads ports.

There’s only a drop of oil on the dipstick so I can’t tell if coolant is in the oil so I will drain a little.

Main ? is could this manie gasket be all that’s wronge causeing the misfire.

I’m not a real mechanic just a Bolton Guy would I’d hate to put back on manifold w/ new gaskets then find out the head gasket or cracked head is the real problem.

drained a little oil first couple drops where green coolant guess the intake mannie gaskets didn't cause this?
    Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 02-18-2018 at 06:49 AM.

red
    95 Z28

Any problems bigger than the intake gaskets and the motor will likely need to be pulled apart. The Vortecs are notorious for leaking intake manifold gaskets. Clean everything out that you can get to, change the intake manifold gaskets, flush the oil a time or two, and flush the cooling system as well. If problems persist, you've got bigger issues from the mixing of oil and water, or potentially a crack somewhere.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Doesn't sound good to me but without looking at it in person I can only guess. 5.0 is right....those manifold gaskets leak....all of them. That coolant gets like that when it's contaminated. If left long enough that shit will turn into a crayon consistency. You fan probably expect to be doing a heater core at some point too.
    What cylinders are misfiring? Are they next to each other? Everything you're describing sounds to me like a head gasket but I guess that coolant could be in there from the manifold leaking.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Some nasty looking snot in there. Cooling passages on my brother's Hercules motor were rusted up like that. We ran an acid wash through the block and head with an electric pump and a 5 gallon bucket. Cleaned it all up real good.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

If I remember correctly two middle cylinders on pass. Side of enginge. Where missing

I have been informed vortec heads are prone to cracking due to lack of clamplng force in middle of head.

I don't think I can blame dexcool for ruining metal head gaskets.

if there is just a little coolant in oil mite just reassemble and she how she runs maybe shes good for a few 100 miles or a few thousand.

under closer up observation I can't see evidence of the intakes slime comeing from the rear of the heads.

I just torqued (under supervision) my first LS gen4 head three stages first 50/75/80.

engine main bearing caps appear to be about the same as heads for tightening down so I'm ready to build 383 (that eventually be in van) w/ doug throly OBX LTs these are known to fit vans.

I was not impressed w/ the local machine shop place kindof dirty you want engine, talk to Joe in the back the back was even dirtier.

and the written estitmate he scribbled down unwilling came up to around $2K
    $500 for assemble $200 extra if heads are cracked.

please suggest parts list w/ links or is the summit stuff I link to decent stuff?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 02-19-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

. We ran an acid wash through the block and head with an electric pump and a 5 gallon bucket. Cleaned it all up real good.

is this some stuff off the shelf?

been cleaning the manie will reinstall w/ new gaskets

any tips on prying the AC compresser/power steering bracket forward? I'm doing this on my own.

I read to not remove or catch hell getting back on.

recent observation of pitting on front ports not to bad like around seal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'd run a straight edge ruler across the intake to make sure it's not warped.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

I put a straight piece of aluminum across manie didn't see any place a feeler guage could slide under looks straight.

hows a easy way to move slide back the the AC bracket?
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

I've installed new mannie gasket have mannie bolts snug except the last dreaded bolt under AC bracket its threaded just needs tightening..

been looking closely at cylinder heads and it appears the heads can actualley be removed w/ engine in van.

so if the mannie gaskets arent the solution I'll attempt the head gasket the missfire was on pass. side head are cracks in heads usalley visable? I think pass. side will be easier than driver because there isnt big AC/EGR tubes.

still want to build a 383stroker need advice for parts list. include the new improved 5.7vortec block basicalley everypart kit isn't available or is there like a universal kit.

edit:initially the distribter wouldn't slide directly in it's marked position used l18"long screwdriver turned oil shaft 1/4turn counter clockwise then she slide in sure hope it close.
    will we need a tech2 tester to adjust/rotate distributer?
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 03-09-2018 at 05:25 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Did you mark that distributor before you pulled it? That work gear will turn as you drop it down so you have to start behind the mark and let it turn until it lines back up. You'll know if it's off...it be hard to start or throw a code...believe it'll be a cam or crank sensor code. Forget which one. Inwen through all that with my 4.3 years ago. Kinda tricky lining the mark and oil pump up...like you said...you fan adjust that oil pump until it all lines up.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Work gear...spell check got ne

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Shit haha

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

are cracks in heads usalley visable?

Yes I did mark the distributer cap and mannie actually there was already a mark I just darkened it.

I didn’t have or couldn’t find my torque set screwdriver bit so I was unable to remove cap and mark both distributer and the cap.

What I did was guesstimate 1/8 of turn clockwise and yes when the dis. Teeth enguage it turns about the 1/8 to close to the marked position.

What do you think about the old distributers gaskect just laying there ontop of engine wouldn’t this introduce unmetered air into the engine? I have a new gasket now came w/ the Apex gasket kit from RA quaility is very low.

Whats the procedure for adjusting timing like is a GM Tech2 tester is required correct?

I took the vans battery into my new tow vehicle 07 saab 97x a very cool midsized SUV will reinstall battery in van today finish the mannie gasket swap she how she runs proballey move it to a storage lot and plan the 383 stroker rebuild for van.
    Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 03-10-2018 at 02:05 AM.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

I have installed mannie and reconnected all wires ect. engine turns over but wont crank.

I think I may have messed up the distribter any tips on lining up the shaft,

I've tryed to turn the oil pump w/ screwdriver however I dont think I and turning correctly it feels like it revert like theres tension on oil pump shaft.

also when I look down the hole its covered w/ oil does oil need to be drained?

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

after watching a bunch of videos still have the distributer out of phase I think thats what it's called.

w/ distrutor inserted I removed #8 spark plug stuck my finger over hole then bumped engine felt it suck then blow kindof sounded like a fart, at the fart the rotor is pointing to 10O clock remember I'm at the rear of the engine.

did that procedure a second time and rotor still stopped a 10 O clock.

I now have #8 cylinder at TDC I believe that mean #1 will also be at TDC however the rotor is pointing to the 10 O clock position. the distributer worm gear is messed w/ the camgear and is actualley inside the female end of oil pump driveshaft no gap inbetween bottom of dist.and top of mannie.

I don't see a way to aim the rotor at the #8 cylinder I do see a way to only 180 reverse from the 10 O clock to like 4O clock.

when I first got the express 1500 2 years ago I swapped in a new distributer rotor and cap and spark plugs/wires then I didn;t remove distruter both old cap/rotor looked fine to I kept as spare.

I wasted probably over one hour attempting to delinquently line up that dam rotor after breaking the tiny little lineup pins on both rotors I gave up for today.

so w/ #6 at TDC how is the rotor aimed at #6

any helpfull tips I need to move this van real soon.

should the distribter not be inserted when bumping engine stopping at #8 TDC
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 03-15-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

update: my friend the expert mechanic set the distributor on TDC van still won't crankup as it did before the manifold gasket swap. the mechanic doesn't want to be barer of bad news but doe's say it's probably a blown head gasket.

maybe I ruined the engine when attempting to start it w/ the distributor out of phase remember I did hear explosions inside the engine when attempting starting.

edit: van has been sitting for 5 months now. undecided on what to do.

been on the lookout at online junkyard LQK.com for a 350 vortec and am not seeing any available in the Centrel Alabama area any suggestions on a junkyard that may have a 02 model vortec engine.
    Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 08-16-2018 at 03:27 AM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

should still start, even with a blown head gasket
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

so I must have damaged the engine when I heard/felt the explosions

you responded so quick thanks I did edit: and ask about a junkyard engine.

I see these engines on ebay seams kindof risky.

MRR23 I see you got a new gen 5 congrates hope you're enjoying her.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    update: my friend the expert mechanic set the distributor on TDC van still won't crankup as it did before the manifold gasket swap. the mechanic doesn't want to be barer of bad news but doe's say it's probably a blown head gasket.

maybe I ruined the engine when attempting to start it w/ the distributor out of phase remember I did hear explosions inside the engine when attempting starting.

edit: van has been sitting for 5 months now. undecided on what to do.

been on the lookout at online junkyard LQK.com for a 350 vortec and am not seeing any available in the Centrel Alabama area any suggestions on a junkyard that may have a 02 model vortec engine.
    Thanks
    Let me see what I can find for you in AL.

What are you looking for, LQ4 or 9, 5.3? I see a lot on FB sales pages. PM your FB info and I can link you to a couple of pages I lurk on for LS parts.

Your post cam up as LQK.com, that's why I asked.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

woops my bad here's where I have been looking
    http://www.lkqcorp.com/index.aspx

actually not exactly sure about the engine, what I do know is it's a 2002 van 5.7liter vortec iron block/heads
    is FB facebook (I rarely look at facebook since the passing of a few friends) but do have a page
    https://www.facebook.com/steve.lastior.7

Thanks Scott

Thread Information