View Poll Results: What would you have done?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pulled over

17 45.95%
  • Done what I did

20 54.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

First encounter with a cop in my TA...What would you have done?

Well my roomate asks me to drive him into the town of Binghamton from campus so he can pick up his car, so we leave for the 5 minute trip to the town center. As we're going there you get on this highway with a 55 limit, then it hits a light and suddenly turns to 30. At that point the light was green, so i was slowly braking down to 30ish. I don't speed more than 5 over anyways. As i was passing the light, doing about 45 i noticed a k9 unit in the opposing lane flick on his lights and try to make a u-turn. I assume he wnted to come after me, but by the time he was able to amke the turn i was alreday gone. I dropped into 2nd and punched it and made a quick exit. Now I know I shouldn't have done that, but there was no way I was getting a ticket for that kinda bs. After all my foot was on the brake slowing down. So anywyas i got away and now im not going to drive my car for a week or two but anyways, what would you guys have done?

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

^Hell I have done that before in my gt if you can get away with it, why not? As long as other cars was not in the way and for all you know he could of not been coming after you anyway.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

I would've pulled over and waited for him. Thats what I do anyway's. I have 9warnings and NO tickets. I would never run cause, well, it is just not worth it.
    2000 SS #1827,NBM,A4,leather,t-tops,lid,eibach springs,hotchkis lca's,slp lid,slp cold air induction,slp loudmouth,baer brakes up front,13.11@107 on street tires,12.90@109 on dr's....time for the cam and intake to be installed

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

do what you did

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

don't do what you did by dropping it and punching it, that to a cop makes you truly look guilty and will definately make him come after you. whos to say you were going to get a ticket if not a warning or a verbal warning. keep the constant speed and don't do anything dumb. I say that because I did what you did except they stopped me and pulled me out of my old 95z28 at gun point and charged me with 'FLEE and ELUDING' an officer. Punishable by up to 6 months in jail and $1000 dollars in fines. I was given diversion because I had a clean record until that day. I was handcuffed, arrested, processed at the jail, fingerprinted and photographed. The whole 9 yards. Don't let it happen to you. Funny thing, since that day I have never been stopped or pulled over since (back in college my senior year in 2002, two days before thanksgiving 4:30 in the afternoon).

I truly got the police experience and a crash course in court and legal knowledge.

Artic White
    2001 Camaro

I slowed down the one time because I knew I got nailed. Pulled over and got a citation.

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    don't do what you did by dropping it and punching it, that to a cop makes you truly look guilty and will definately make him come after you. whos to say you were going to get a ticket if not a warning or a verbal warning. keep the constant speed and don't do anything dumb. I say that because I did what you did except they stopped me and pulled me out of my old 95z28 at gun point and charged me with 'FLEE and ELUDING' an officer. Punishable by up to 6 months in jail and $1000 dollars in fines. I was given diversion because I had a clean record until that day. I was handcuffed, arrested, processed at the jail, fingerprinted and photographed. The whole 9 yards. Don't let it happen to you. Funny thing, since that day I have never been stopped or pulled over since (back in college my senior year in 2002, two days before thanksgiving 4:30 in the afternoon).

I truly got the police experience and a crash course in court and legal knowledge.
    well first of all unless he was behind you with his lights and sirens on there is no way he can charge you with evading, id have fought that BS, until he ATTEMPTS to stop you its just added infractions, the most he could have give you is maybe reckless driving but thats just a ticket too. You got rail roaded man i would have fought that shit tooth and nail. Until he actually catches up to you with his LIGHTS AND SIREN going, its not evading. Sometimes small town cops get real excited when a little bit of excitement rolls their way.

1970 Fbody

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post

No, they gave you diversion because they had no case but your attorney had no balls to fight it because it was quick and easy money him knowing you were off. Such an easy case to win.

I was street racing and staged up on a high dollar race. The cop pulled up behind, hit his lights and gave me a ticket for participating in a speed contest. I spent good money on a good attorney and the case went just like this:

Cop: the guy flagging raised his hands to launch and I then turned my lights on

Attorney: I object your honor, show me any proof that said person in middle of street was not doing jumping jacks and my client and another car were simply watching

Judge: case dismissed due to lack of evidence that they were street racing

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

lmao

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

we arent allowed to talk about police on this website

its against the rules.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

We're not allowed to bash the police.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    We're not allowed to bash the police.
    im not bashing, i have tons of repsect for cops. i just wanted to know what other people would have done in my situation.

NBM
    99 TA

i would have slowed down and kept on driving, and if the cop pulled me over i would ask to see how he could prove that i was speeding. Chances are he had no way of telling how fast you were going because he was going the opposite way, and he probably wasn't after you anyway... he probably missed the turn for the donut shop

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

Oh beleive me, they can prove you were speeding from the oposite way. I got 2 tickets in 1 hour on a lonely highway. I was doing 83 on a 70. And i can see little colorfull lights miles away ahead of me down the road. I told my wife it looks like a cop, some accident must have happened behind us and thats where he is headed. Well i slowed down miles before he was close to me. As soon as i passed him he did the u turn. Same exact thing happened in the following county 1 hour later. Yes i could have outran the trooper as my top speed ends at 175ish but i know i cant outrun a radio.
    Oh yeah i asked him how he knew i was speeding and he told me they had a radar setup miles before.

Black
    99 Z28

I'd have probably done the same thing, or at least not pulled over and waited. I'd have probably just kinda maintained the speed with that terrible gut wrenching feeling, then taken the next exit hoping that he wasn't able to see that and then go on about your business.

I've not "eluded" but gotten away with something just because they couldn't get out right away to get me.

Once in FL, I drove past a cop doing about 60 in a 35. He was on the side of the road waiting, but there was too much traffic for him to get out right away. When he saw me, I was in the right lane, I made my way over to a left lane. The road t-boned and he was already stuck in a turn lane to go right, and I had to go left. He blew past me and realized it and hit the brakes. Gave me the dirtiest look, but since he was kinda stuck going the other way and would have had to go quite a distance down that road to u turn to get me, it was too late. Lucky me.

One night, I was "racing" (if you'd call it that) a newer Mercury Cougar and we went past a cop, not terribly speeding, but above the limit none-the-less. He couldn't get out, but he shot us with the spotlight and hit his headlights so I'm sure he intended to pull out and pull us over, but there was just too much traffic right behind us for him to get out. I kept going, made a turn and another and didn't look back.

I'm sure I could go on and on. Sometimes ya get lucky like that, sometimes ya don't. Who knows, he might not have even been headed after you. In either case, it certainly doesn't matter now.

Oh yeah, if you're minding your own on the highway one night and a car comes flying up in the lane beside you, don't try to match his speed until you know it's not a cop. Not sure if I'd have gotten a ticket or could have used the "entrapment" excuse. Got lucky anyway though.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

DISCLAIMER: I'm not telling you what to do.

When I was in patrol (14+ years ago), if I flicked the blue lights momentarily, it was because I had you going close to 15 over on radar (K-55 radar measures in moving mode approaching other cars). It was my way of saying "gotcha, how about slow it down a little?". If I saw brake lights flicker, I just kept going, if I observed anything like acceleration, I would turn around on you and give chase.

But that was me. Not saying everybody does it the same way. That's the honest truth, but I'm sure I will be countered by the entrapment theorists.

1970 Fbody

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not telling you what to do.

When I was in patrol (14+ years ago), if I flicked the blue lights momentarily, it was because I had you going close to 15 over on radar (K-55 radar measures in moving mode approaching other cars). It was my way of saying "gotcha, how about slow it down a little?". If I saw brake lights flicker, I just kept going, if I observed anything like acceleration, I would turn around on you and give chase.

But that was me. Not saying everybody does it the same way. That's the honest truth, but I'm sure I will be countered by the entrapment theorists.
    I get it all the time cruising the highway. I might be doing 70 in a 55 but traffic is moving around 62-65. They will usually pull up next to me and just flicker me to let me know to slow it down. I then quickly switch lanes behind them and draft

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by nosfed View Post
    I get it all the time cruising the highway. I might be doing 70 in a 55 but traffic is moving around 62-65. They will usually pull up next to me and just flicker me to let me know to slow it down. I then quickly switch lanes behind them and draft
    Just don't "bump draft". That gets expensive.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Just don't "bump draft". That gets expensive.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

I would have done what you did. Don't sweat it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information