Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final decision.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Final decision.

First off I just wanna say that, I appreciate everyones help, and I appreciate that you all take the time to post in my annoying ass threads. Well, this is the last thread I'll be making like this hopefully.

After my dad sat down and looked at the numbers (what it would cost to insure a gt, or a t/a for me) he decided it's just gonna be to expensive. Yea i'm pretty bummed out about it. But, you know, it's time to move on. Well, I still would like a new vehicle because I'm so tired of the lameness of the suburban. I hate riding around looking like I have 4 kids in the back. So tired of that lame ass image. You guys feel me on this one?

Well, I narrowed it down to a few choices, something thats not gonna be killer on insurance payments, but something still cool.

1. 1994-2001 Dodge Ram 1500/2500 cummins would be nice but the 5.9 will do. Has to be a club cab. No regular cab.

2. 99+ Ford F250 Powerstroke would be nice, but the Triton V10 will work, and I dunno about the other engine option it's pretty weak....

Well, my question to you all is which one? And if you don't think I should get either one, please, suggest another vehicle that I could get but it can't be high on insurance, and has to be a max of 8k-9k, and most of all it has to be badass.

Please help me out guys, thanks so much everyone.

2011 Prius

Keep an eye out in Texas, there diesel trucks are cheaper. I can get one cheaper out there and ship it here, still save a couple thousand green backs, plus get a Mexican or two with it.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Keep an eye out in Texas, there diesel trucks are cheaper. I can get one cheaper out there and ship it here, still save a couple thousand green backs, plus get a Mexican or two with it.
    Ha, that's probably gonna be expensive though. Having a truck shipped from texas to D.C. thats gonna cost. Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, they've got there share of diesels, i look out there. Texas is a lil to far.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    Ha, that's probably gonna be expensive though. Having a truck shipped from texas to D.C. thats gonna cost. Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, they've got there share of diesels, i look out there. Texas is a lil to far.
    When I looked, $500-600. Not bad, it's worth it.

08 HD FXSTB
    2010 F350

If you are getting the diesel you cant go wrong with either the 7.2 powerstroke or the cummins. Cummins is better engine Superduty is better truck. Gas go with the Ford

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by infantryws6 View Post
    If you are getting the diesel you cant go wrong with either the 7.2 powerstroke or the cummins. Cummins is better engine Superduty is better truck. Gas go with the Ford
    It's true... The powerstoke is an alright engine. But has a good transmission and rear end, along with suspension. But the cummins is a great engine with strong internals.

Edit: The 7.2 is way better then early 6.0's. Plus can be modded way cheaper.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

You should be looking for one of these at your age. For insurance and gas prices too!

Also I dunno if you checked into insurance on those kinds of trucks but for me when I was 24 a fullsize truck similar to what you have described was more expensive for me to insure than my T/A was... Especially if it was 4wd!

murdered out 06 z06

get a different insurance company!!!

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Both of those are much longer in wheel base than the burb, even the quad cab short bed. Count maneuverability out. And packy is right about getting a mini truck, just not a ranger IMO. Low insurance, low cost, high gas
    mileage. Plus a taco v6, s10 v6, frontier or hardbody v6, and a Colorado 5 cylinder would all whoop that 5.9 and 7.3 ass stock for stock and with mild mods. A big truck is a useless pita in town. I only have a 115" wheelbase and cars are still way easier to deal with. Why do you want a semi truck?
    Last edited by wheeliE-maxx; 10-25-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Why do you want a semi truck?
    He wants to look like he is hauling four people around but in a cooler big truck I guess.?.

I like the Rangers. I have had two of them and they were awesome. Never had any problems at all with them. The other trucks mentioned are nice too. I just always thaought the Rangers looked better.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

like already stated overall the ford is the better truck. you can kick the shit out of them and they take more. I always felt that with the exception of engines the rams were always junk. Rickety, bad fit and finish, trannies that dont last, eats up brakes, rust, etc

Yes ford has had problems with powerstroke injectors and headgaskets in recent years. but they are parts failures, not poor design.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

My problem with the ranger is that sure, it gets great gas mileage, but so do all the others. They do it with way more power and aren't outdated either. The gmc/chevy/isuzu triplets with a 2.8/2.9 four popper make pretty much the same power as the fastest ranger v6 yet get way better mileage. And the 2.3 renders it useless as a truck and takes the fun out of driving. Transam, you could get one of the triplet gm mini trucks for cheap in any configuration. Three cabs, 2wd or 4wd, 4 or 5 popper, auto or manual (no stick on the newer 3.7, only the 3.5). Then you'd have a fun go anywhere truck that you could afford to drive and is easier in traffic. And mini truck sticks are actually decent unlike a fullsize or especially a heavy duty.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    like already stated overall the ford is the better truck. you can kick the shit out of them and they take more. I always felt that with the exception of engines the rams were always junk. Rickety, bad fit and finish, trannies that dont last, eats up brakes, rust, etc

Yes ford has had problems with powerstroke injectors and headgaskets in recent years. but they are parts failures, not poor design.
    Dodge trucks are a shit sandwich. We've owned four late
    models. '98 Durango 5.2 4x4, '01 Durango 5.9 2wd, '00 Dakota 4.7 quad 2wd auto, '03 ram quad 4.7 2wd auto. Can you say differential c-clip failure? All sorts of problems across the board with them all. My dad has sworn off dodge officially. Can't say our made in Mexico '04 burb was any better. They had to replace the whole steering and suspension within one year. Al sorts of other shit too. 6.0>7.3 in every way. If it was going to explode, italready did and was fixed under warranty. No worries there. My uncles superchipped '03 ate a turbo and they still fixed it under warranty

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

My problem with the ranger is that sure, it gets great gas mileage, but so do all the others. They do it with way more power and aren't outdated either. The gmc/chevy/isuzu triplets with a 2.8/2.9 four popper make pretty much the same power as the fastest ranger v6 yet get way better mileage. And the 2.3 renders it useless as a truck and takes the fun out of driving. Transam, you could get one of the triplet gm mini trucks for cheap in any configuration. Three cabs, 2wd or 4wd, 4 or 5 popper, auto or manual (no stick on the newer 3.7, only the 3.5). Then you'd have a fun go anywhere truck that you could afford to drive and is easier in traffic. And mini truck sticks are actually decent unlike a fullsize or especially a heavy duty.
    Yeah they are all good trucks in my book. Hell all they are is a daily driver anyway.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

At our age they're supposed to be a racecar too packy I meant if you're going to have a foofo truck you might as well get the one that has more power and the same mileage anyway. Plus the gm triplets' designs are from this decade too.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

At our age they're supposed to be a racecar too packy I meant if you're going to have a foofo truck you might as well get the one that has more power and the same mileage anyway. Plus the gm triplets' designs are from this decade too.
    LOL! If I was getting a race truck it would be a Lightning, Syclone, or TBSS, but I forgot we are talking practical here with good gas mileage for the youngun.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    You should be looking for one of these at your age. For insurance and gas prices too! Click for full size

Also I dunno if you checked into insurance on those kinds of trucks but for me when I was 24 a fullsize truck similar to what you have described was more expensive for me to insure than my T/A was... Especially if it was 4wd!
    No way man, I'll pass on the ranger I'd rather keep what I have, not my thing. No, insuring the car was waaay more expensive than the truck to insure. I have to ask my dad for some detail about it, but he said that the payments were def. gonna be more expensive.

It's between the Ram and the F250 pretty much, unless you guys have better ideas that I could go with.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If your shipper has to go through Ohio, and Pa, to get to Maryland from Texas, fire him!

Cuz he's lost! lol

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    No way man, I'll pass on the ranger I'd rather keep what I have, not my thing. No, insuring the car was waaay more expensive than the truck to insure. I have to ask my dad for some detail about it, but he said that the payments were def. gonna be more expensive.

It's between the Ram and the F250 pretty much, unless you guys have better ideas that I could go with.

Yeah a Civic SI. Don't you know they are sports car now.?.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

No way, S10's, rangers, all those little pickup's, I do not want that. I'd rather just keep what I have, I'm looking for a cooler car or truck thats not killer on insurance, thats why I'm gonna try and find a FULL SIZE pickup. I mean, I'll pay more money, because it's 2x as badass. My dad will pay more but he has his limitations, the car would be crossing the line. The truck isn't bad.

And I mean traffic is not that large of an issue in this part of d.c. where I live, there are a lot of stoplights and stuff but not a lot of traffic jams and stuff like that, but the place where you go to find traffic is, downtown where the white house is the monument etc. and i RARELY go there. I mean I could deal with a truck of the same magnitude just something less lame. I know thats not what I told you in the pm but I was just bitchin.

Gas mileage is a issue. Now, i know the gasser ram gets worse and the gasser F250 probably is about the same as the ram, and the powerstroke and cummins probably are almost equal (with the manual). Right now I average like 13 mpg's. It's pretty costly to get gas for this suburban, now a diesel truck will be insane. That I'm not so crazy about. I gotta get a job for sure.
    Last edited by Transamws6; 10-25-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information