silver
    2002 ws6

f-bombin mice in my car AGAIN

so i got mice in my car again--- both times in the heater box. frickin reeks of mouse piss. i dont drive my car alot so this happens.

is there a certain place they like to get in that i can block off?

black
    02 ss camaro

Get a snake or a cat and let it hang out in the garage....no more mice in the car.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

i dont know what to tell you...ive never had mice in my car, even when i parked it for the 4months for winter

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Is the car in a garage?

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

the best thing i've heard that works (and that we have in our garage and in my dad's workshop) are "Pest Chasers". just about all hardware stores sell them, and you just stick them in each electrical socket around the garage to make sure you have all bases covered, and what it does is release sound frequencies that you and your cat or dog cannot hear, but rodents can't stand it, and will go away from wherever the sound is coming from.

it's the least messy, kind of almost guaranteed way to keep them away, and it wont leave any nasty residue in your car. the only issue is, they need power, so if there's no electrical outlets in your garage then obviously, this wont work.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    Is the car in a garage?
    yeah it is. and it's not very good. i think it's better off outside until i can build a better one

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by lawless View Post
    the best thing i've heard that works (and that we have in our garage and in my dad's workshop) are "Pest Chasers". just about all hardware stores sell them, and you just stick them in each electrical socket around the garage to make sure you have all bases covered, and what it does is release sound frequencies that you and your cat or dog cannot hear, but rodents can't stand it, and will go away from wherever the sound is coming from.

it's the least messy, kind of almost guaranteed way to keep them away, and it wont leave any nasty residue in your car. the only issue is, they need power, so if there's no electrical outlets in your garage then obviously, this wont work.
    cool thanks i'll look into it

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

Back when I had an S10 ZR2 pickup I took it to a jiffylube for an oil change. They pulled me over for the usual Airfilter talk and also showed me a surprise. The surprise was Mac and Cheese noodles in the airbox that the filter blocked. As soon as I got home I checked the wifes S10 Blazer and found the Mac and Cheese stored there as well. I put the top of the garbage can on all the time now even with the garbage stored in the garage. We found another mouse had put together a warm looking bundle of shreds on top of my wifes Audi A6 Engine under the plastic cover. I just may have to look into the plug-ins myself.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

i have heard from many people, keeping clothes dryer static sheets in the car keep mice away.

I have tried it and a few of my friends do also, no issue with mice.. dunno if its a true method or myth

red
    69 Firebird

The electronic pest chasers are mostly snake oil and "placebo-effect" devices.

As posted above, replacing Bounce sheets every 1-2 weeks is a good method. I also found that I take a Big bucket Citronella candle, let it light for a while, then let the liquid Citronella drip out on to aluminum foil. Then, I break up the re-solidified stuff into pieces, and put them in critical places (like under my intake).

If determined, mice may grab a Bounce sheet, and drag it away. But, the Citronella would taste very bad, and would break apart if they tried to drag it.

So far, the above has helped. My car sits most/all of the winter and snow months. Cars make very nice safe and warm places for mice, squirrels, etc.

BTW: Most real studies show that any sound deterrent will, at best, work for a short time. If determined/desperate, the birds, mice, etc will go back and just "get used to/block out" the noise. It's a multi-million dollar problem for airports.

IMHO, Bounce and Citronella pieces are the best bet. Well, at least against New England mice.

Good Luck!

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

Bounce does not work through some in the combine took apart a place were we put them and the mice just stayed away from it but still were in there. you have to use moth balls those work but smell a little but you get used to it

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I used mothballs after the mice had already gotten in there, with no affect on them. Mousetrap with peanut butter did the trick though. The bastards came through the drivers door! Between the sill and the seal. Never chewed the seal, but chewed the shit outta the paint. Bastards.

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

i leave dryer sheets in my car, specifically from keeping it from getting that "stale air" smell. but my garage is pretty much rodent free because my mother is terrified of mice, and made my dad seal not only the entire house from potential mouse entry, but the garage as well, (and because of this we're not allowed to keep the garage doors open for extended periods of time).

in the 7 years we've had this house, (and i'd leave my jeep's windows rolled down all the time), we've never, ever, had mouse problems.

i'd start by prevention, too. is it a rickety old barn type garage or is it a real garage that you can go and check for as many possible holes to fill and block off? preventing them from getting in, will be a ton of work at first, but in the long run the most effective way to keeping your car mice-free.

and what do you have to lose? i'd literally try all the suggestions, lol. mothballs, dryer sheets, etc. i'd put the mothballs AROUND the car though, not in it. too much is actually toxic for humans.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

D-con in the garage.

Thread Information