Extended Warranties & GAP insurance

Ok so I just bought me a 08 G8 GT!!! I have been wanting one for a while & finally pulled the plug & bought it! Now my question, I ALWAYS buy warranties & GAP insurance for the "just incase" but have NEVER used them. I just traded my 08 Altima w/ 12,500 miles, so I cashed in the warranty & gap ins.

On the G8, they charged me $2495 for the warranty & $700 for GAP. He did however make some of the money up by taking 1% off the APR which was very nice & they also give you 15 free oil changes, kinda like a bonus. He first wanted $3100 for the warranty & I was like, "your high!!" So I bought it, but though I should look around....Called another local dealer today & they quoted me $1678 for the warranty.

It is a 7 yr / 100k warranty, $100 dis. deduct if I take it to selling dealer. Where should I go to get the warranty and/or GAP, so should I stick with that I got???
    Thanks!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

congrats on the new ride. I never get either. If it breaks after the original warranty is expired I just fix it myself.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

I'd just do GAP... i work for a warranty company and with doing most of my mechanical work myself, i probably wouldn't ever get one, minus a GAP if it was available. my TA came with two months of "extended warranty" and i got a free steering rack out of it then it ran out. there's too much gray area that isn't explained ever in dealerships and makes it hell for customer and warranty analyst

2011 Prius

I'd only get GAP.

Blue

get gap thats it,those aftermarket warranties are bad news,thats all im saying lol,I know i work at a dealer. If its a GM warranty thats ok,but i still wouildnt buy it unless you lever your stock.

Old Enough to Know Better Crimson Sin's Avatar

Red Fire
    2007 Mustang GT/CS

Extended Aftermarket warranties blow..
    I run a Goodyear Gemini ...we do alot of automotive repairs..
    I detest those warranties like the plaque... Most are misleading about what they cover..
    There ARE some good ones, I know there are.. Just haven't seen one yet.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Not a fan of extended warranties.

Basically, the insurance company is betting the car WON'T break, and you are betting it WILL.

With the quality of any car built nowadays, you are EXTREMELY unlikely to need an engine or transmission within 100k miles, and those are probably the only 2 items that would exceed the cost of the warranty.

I had one tell me "Our studies show that most major repairs tend to occur after 75000 miles" to which I responded that most streetlights tend to come on after dark too.

To the OP, don't all GMs now have 100k powertrain warranties anyway?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse Red GTO View Post
    Ok so I just bought me a 08 G8 GT!!! I have been wanting one for a while & finally pulled the plug & bought it! Now my question, I ALWAYS buy warranties & GAP insurance for the "just incase" but have NEVER used them. I just traded my 08 Altima w/ 12,500 miles, so I cashed in the warranty & gap ins.

On the G8, they charged me $2495 for the warranty & $700 for GAP. He did however make some of the money up by taking 1% off the APR which was very nice & they also give you 15 free oil changes, kinda like a bonus. He first wanted $3100 for the warranty & I was like, "your high!!" So I bought it, but though I should look around....Called another local dealer today & they quoted me $1678 for the warranty.

It is a 7 yr / 100k warranty, $100 dis. deduct if I take it to selling dealer. Where should I go to get the warranty and/or GAP, so should I stick with that I got???
    Thanks!
    Congratulations...that is a fine car....but I gotta tell you...
    Homo's have warranties....shit my GTO had 250 miles on it and we had the engine/trannie setting on the floor
    Mod that sum bitch...void that warranty and save your hetroness.....

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I wouldn't even get the GAP...most auto insurance companies offer loan payoff for far cheaper than GAP. Mine is like $2 more a month for loan payoff through progressive....after the car is worth more than yolu owe you cancel it. You can still cancel the GAP so call your insurance and see what they offer.

Also that G8 still falls under the factory warranty...so that extended warranty might not be worth it.
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 10-12-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Black
    99 Z28

warranties like that are such a friggin' rip off.

If you take it in because of a fucked up differential, they'll say... "oh, your seal broke, that's not covered."

They're a joke man. If you do anything to your car at all, they'll void the warranty.

Gap is probably cheaper through whoever financed the car as well.

When I got my car I got the warranty, then I read it. was a 40,000 mile warranty. It was like $2500. It covered everything on the car that the factory warranty covered plus free oil changes up to 40,000 miles.

Hello... GM does everything up to 36K miles and the oil changes aren't that expensive. As soon as I saw that, I called and cancelled it. "what would it take to keep you?"

inb4 "you should have read it before you signed it"

The jack ass finance guys always say "The bank will give you a lower interest rate if you have this. It's shows that you really have a deep interest in protecting it." or... "The bank will finance it, but only if this is on there."

I seriously don't miss working in the car business.

Thread Information