Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

Epoxy garage floor..

Have any of you painted your garage floor with the epoxy/ paint kits?
    If so, could you post some pictures maybe, and fill me in on somethings i may need to know about doing it myself.. I am moving into a house with a pretty big garage 25'x50' .. and I would like to know about how much will this cost me to cover the floors with a dark grey epoxy?
    I am planning on doing quite a bit of work to the garage.. i'd like to make it into a hangout place.. tv, refrigerator, microwave, etc... along with a 50' long workbench on one of the walls.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cant.b.caught.z28 View Post
    Have any of you painted your garage floor with the epoxy/ paint kits?
    If so, could you post some pictures maybe, and fill me in on somethings i may need to know about doing it myself.. I am moving into a house with a pretty big garage 25'x50' .. and I would like to know about how much will this cost me to cover the floors with a dark grey epoxy?
    I am planning on doing quite a bit of work to the garage.. i'd like to make it into a hangout place.. tv, refrigerator, microwave, etc... along with a 50' long workbench on one of the walls.
    Damn that is a huge garage. I am wanting to do something to my floor at some point too. I built a bench on the wall already, tv, fridge etc., like you a hangout place

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Here is another option for the floor I am considering:

http://www.swisstrax.com/

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

yea it's a family house... my grandparents built the house back in the 50's, and my grandpa ALWAYS has to have a big garage.. but the downfall of it being a family owned home is that they have some of their stuff stored in there. My dads got his boat stored in there, along with my moms old 64 1/2 mustang, and my old project truck. I will get some pictures of it tomorrow when I go over there.. but yea.. i'm pretty sure i'l have to shell out quite a bit of money for the floor epoxy.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

I have seen that swisstrax before. It looks VERY nice, but I don't know if that would fall under my budget haha.

Red
    '72 Chevy C10 SWB

We epoxied the floors in our shop at work. We got it from Sherwin-Williams, but i can't remember the price per gallon, I'll see if I can find out tomorrow. We first had to etch the floor using Muriatic acid, then hose it out and squegee it, let it dry over night, then roll it on the next morning, 2-3 coats. It's really pretty easy, and turns out real nice.

you'll probably need 2 gallons of M Acid - Pour 1/4 gallon in a 5-gallon bucket then fill bucket with water. dump the bucket on the floor and continue until the entire floor is covered. Let it sit about 10 mins. Squegee it out and repeat.

After 2nd acid etch, hose everything out and squegee, then let dry overnight.

The epoxy is 1-part paint, 1-part hardener, and I believe each 2-gallon mixture covers about 300 sq ft. You have to mix the paint 30 min before applying, and it's recommended to thin the first coat with paint thinner. Let the first coat dry 3-4 hrs, then apply 2nd coat (mix 30 mins beforehand, no paint thinner). We mixed it in the 5-gallon buckets and used brushes to get the edges really good first, then used 12-inch rollers screwed onto poles for the floor. Be sure to find helpers

We did 2 coats and it came out great. I think we spent about $150-$200 for 8 gallons of each (paint and hardener). I'll try to find out exactly how much and what it was called. Hope this helps, it's definetly worth it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is a good discussion about floor epoxy in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=epoxy

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Here is another option for the floor I am considering:

http://www.swisstrax.com/
    I've never seen any of that snap down flooring that was very functional for someone that works on their car. Maybe that brand is different but the stuff I've seen hasn't worked very well.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I've never seen any of that snap down flooring that was very functional for someone that works on their car. Maybe that brand is different but the stuff I've seen hasn't worked very well.

I considered it too a few years ago... just seems to not look so good after it has been in use for awhile. I have a friend who installed Race Deck in his motorcycle shop and that is what I am judging it by.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

thanks for the info guys.. so if i have a floor zamboni, would you recommend i put the muratic acid down then buff over? or run the buffer, clean, then put the muratic acid down?

Thread Information