Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Ducati 899 vs MV Agusta F3 800 vs Can am spyder RSS/RST

Motorcycle guys, which of these three would you rather have and why?

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

None of them personally but if I had to chose I would take the Ducati. The can am isn't even an option for me as it isn't a real motorcycle.

All 3 of these are expensive to buy, expensive to own and not as reliable as the big 4s sportbikes. The Ducati and Agusta are cooler as they are more rare and you don't see them very often but that is also a reason they are expensive to own. Expensive parts and labor if you can actually find a ducati or agusta certified dealer near you. For about 70% of the price a gsxr-750 with a good rider will be right there with them if not faster. For 80% of the price you can buy a 1000 from any of the big four and have a much faster ride..
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-16-2014 at 05:23 AM.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Since I'm not one to buy things for the look at my money factor I'm with Zin on everything. If I gave a shit about that I'd go for the MV since they're less common. Also stock Ducatis do not get along with wheelies. They need engine work for that

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Not sure why the Spyder is on this list to choose from, but out of all three I would choose that one because I'm looking for a cruiser for long rides. If I had to choose between the Duc 899 and the MV 800 I would go with the Ducati. This based on reviews and the fact that I'm familiar with these motorcycles. Also parts and labor are not to bad as long as you have a good set of tools and the factory maintenence manual,(which I do). I have a Duc 749D and it's a great ride and looks awesome IMO, these days I'm spending a lot on fixing her and most parts have to be oredered from across the pond. I know the big 4 motorcycles are more reliable and parts and dealers are easy to find, but nothing beats the sound of a Ltwin with a good exhaust at 5k rpm's. Thats just me though.

Arctic White, red/gray

Ducatis do sound damn good with exhaust. Too bad sound doesn't translate into power. A gsxr-750 makes 20 more hp than your ducati 749, that is a shit ton in bike world.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-16-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Always wanted to get a Ducati, however they need special service and lots of money from what I hear. GSXR1000. Is the way to go
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Gray/ White

I'm seriously plotting a new FZ-09 myself

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Always wanted to get a Ducati, however they need special service and lots of money from what I hear. GSXR1000. Is the way to go
    When it comes down to sportbikes from Honda, Yamaha, Kawi and Suzuki pick which one looks the best and the riding position you like the most. Everything else is pretty much a riders race, meaning it comes down to the rider to determine who will win. The 1000s do 100+mph in first gear, that is key to getting 0-100 in 5 seconds.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I'm seriously plotting a new FZ-09 myself
    I like bikes like that as well. Sporty but not as uncomfortable as the R and RR bikes.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    Not sure why the Spyder is on this list to choose from, but out of all three I would choose that one because I'm looking for a cruiser for long rides. If I had to choose between the Duc 899 and the MV 800 I would go with the Ducati. This based on reviews and the fact that I'm familiar with these motorcycles. Also parts and labor are not to bad as long as you have a good set of tools and the factory maintenence manual,(which I do). I have a Duc 749D and it's a great ride and looks awesome IMO, these days I'm spending a lot on fixing her and most parts have to be oredered from across the pond. I know the big 4 motorcycles are more reliable and parts and dealers are easy to find, but nothing beats the sound of a Ltwin with a good exhaust at 5k rpm's. Thats just me though.
    post pic's please the 749D is one of my all time fav's!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    I tried reading that article but it had too many words.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    None of them personally but if I had to chose I would take the Ducati. The can am isn't even an option for me as it isn't a real motorcycle.

All 3 of these are expensive to buy, expensive to own and not as reliable as the big 4s sportbikes. The Ducati and Agusta are cooler as they are more rare and you don't see them very often but that is also a reason they are expensive to own. Expensive parts and labor if you can actually find a ducati or agusta certified dealer near you. For about 70% of the price a gsxr-750 with a good rider will be right there with them if not faster. For 80% of the price you can buy a 1000 from any of the big four and have a much faster ride..
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Since I'm not one to buy things for the look at my money factor I'm with Zin on everything. If I gave a shit about that I'd go for the MV since they're less common. Also stock Ducatis do not get along with wheelies. They need engine work for that

I got a chance to ride a can am and it was awesome really different and i enjoyed it.........
    Last edited by Murder after Midnight; 04-16-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    I got a chance to ride a can am and it was awesome really different and i enjoyed it.........
    I've also ridden the Can Am and it is an interesting bike. Only problem for me was that after about 20 miles my legs started cramping and there was no where to stretch them (6'2") due to the position of the floor boards and wide body. Make sure you ride both the older model and the one with the new larger engine (i think on the limited only this year). The older engine had to be kept at a pretty high rev to be happy. The newer engine provides much better torque and lower revs on the highway for a much more comfortable ride. As you probably noticed the Can Am at the top model level is very expensive and they have a steep drop off when you drive them out of the dealership. Consider looking for a slightly used one to save some big bucks!

Gray/ White

I like bikes like that as well. Sporty but not as uncomfortable as the R and RR bikes.
    Useful on my 40 mile commute
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    I am sure it is but it takes away one of the biggest fun factors of riding for me, riding side by side with friends and other riders. There is def something to be said about riding with a friend ripping down the road. Plus then I can't get around traffic in the metro areas by using the small lane created between cars and the curb. Another thing is I love leaning bikes, I am no pro rider that is for sure but I still like to get as low as I can sometimes. If you buy a sportbike and your tires are only worn in the middle and not on the edges other sportbike riders will call you a bag of douche.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-17-2014 at 05:26 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

So you are one of those that flies between cars in traffic? I pictured you being smarter.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    So you are one of those that flies between cars in traffic? I pictured you being smarter.
    No. I only used the space between cars and the curb on side streets when traffic is dead dead stopped because the stop and go lights are so close together for the amount of traffic. I only go like 10 mph but it gets me to the next turn much fast than waiting in the 20 minute line. I used to live in an area where this would happen everyday about 6-8 blocks from my house. Saved me 20 minutes everyday that I rode the bike.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Ducatis do sound damn good with exhaust. Too bad sound doesn't translate into power. A gsxr-750 makes 20 more hp than your ducati 749, that is a shit ton in bike world.
    I agree to certain extent. I use my Duc as a DD as long as I have her running right. Will no longer ride in the rain because of the electrical gremlins I've been dealing with. The GSX-R750 actually makes 34 more HP than the Duc 749D but only 1 ft lb of tq difference. Still a considerable advantage for the Suzuki but nothing that will effect my ride to work and back. I don't do any track days because I just don't have the time or $$$ so I'll never have to try and keep up with a GSX-R on the straights. I Will say this much, as much as I love my Ducati and have enjoyed my other Ducs, I will probably not be buying another. I'm on the fenca between the new Interceptor or 2010+ Z1000. Here's a pic of the Dark for ya Midnight.

ASA Cam, Built A4, 3500 Stall, LT's, ORY, Hooker CB, E Cut-out, Lid, Modified SSRA, , SFC's,UMI Tq Arm w/relo, Spohn LCA's, 3.73's, Free Mods, Dyno tuned by James @ SpeedShift Performance. Need more suspension mods!!!

Arctic White, red/gray

Beautiful bike, not trying to take that away from it. Ducatis are rare compared to the others and they definately look great and sound great. As I said it is enough bike for a majority of riders but from a sportbike standpoint there are other bikes that have more bang for buck and seeing as this a ls1 forum and the engine is aging that is what most of us are about these days.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

That is where I agree with you Zinergy. My first motorcycle was a Duc 750 sport and I have been branded since then. From an experience standpoint, 130+hp bikes are probably to much to soon for this guy, I hardly ever redline the one I have now and rarely push her into triple digit speeds. But then I keep a picture of the wife and kid posted next to dash as a constant reminder to ride right. As for the OP, I guess it really comes down to what your riding style/preference is and what you intend on using the moto for. If you are a weekend rider and want something different then go with the 899, but buy yourself some tools and order the factory maintenance manual and you will save a lot of cash. The Spyder is another route to go if you are looking for something different, but it personally would find myself missing the two wheeled experience. Polaris is looking into the front wheel tilt tech for their Spyders but no word yet on if/when that will ever be an option. It will allow rider to lean into turns above certain speeds and below those speeds it remains locked upright. If they do come out with this then I will definitely be signing up during the demo days.

Thread Information