Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Drove the ZR1 !!!

Well working at the dealer im previlaged to drive a few nice cars every once in a while. Today i had a guy coming in to drive the ZR1 but before coming i had a chance to drive it for a few minutes. Below 2500 RPMs the car drives like normal and seems to be a good daily driver although to me the suspension does feel stiffer then a C6 Z06 but reading somewhere ive heard the opposite. The suspension to me is definitly stiffer then the Z06. The power after 3000RPMs is absolutly insane and really need to be very carefull especially in 1st and 2nd gears.

I got it up to the top of 3rd gear and the way it accelerates feels like your floating in air and your vision to what your focusing on in front of you becomes the size of a quarter, i dont know how to explain it but your vision is way smaller in diameter then normal driving. At lower rpms giong forward and backwards it will do the normal rattle from the gearbox i think it is but other then that the noise it makes when you hit 3k and higher is just addicting to listen to deep, fast, growl. GM did a really good job on the ZR1 and although there are some that will compain that its a 120k American car, you get alot for your money and even in black you get noticed very quickly. Sorry for the long thread but wanted to be specific.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

With that blower at the ready, it should affect your field of vision as the power will kick in and what you have been used to in an NA car will make you feel like "WTF IS THIS??!"

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Well working at the dealer im previlaged to drive a few nice cars every once in a while. Today i had a guy coming in to drive the ZR1 but before coming i had a chance to drive it for a few minutes. Below 2500 RPMs the car drives like normal and seems to be a good daily driver although to me the suspension does feel stiffer then a C6 Z06 but reading somewhere ive heard the opposite. The suspension to me is definitly stiffer then the Z06. The power after 3000RPMs is absolutly insane and really need to be very carefull especially in 1st and 2nd gears.

I got it up to the top of 3rd gear and the way it accelerates feels like your floating in air and your vision to what your focusing on in front of you becomes the size of a quarter, i dont know how to explain it but your vision is way smaller in diameter then normal driving. At lower rpms giong forward and backwards it will do the normal rattle from the gearbox i think it is but other then that the noise it makes when you hit 3k and higher is just addicting to listen to deep, fast, growl. GM did a really good job on the ZR1 and although there are some that will compain that its a 120k American car, you get alot for your money and even in black you get noticed very quickly. Sorry for the long thread but wanted to be specific.
    hey man, no need to be sorry, you can talk about the zr1 as much as you want. this ls1.com, and that car is pretty much considered the holy trinty here. It is a amazing car.......

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that's fuckin awesome! I'm surprised you were allowed to romp on it

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I initially was going to start it up and warm it up because the batteries on these cars die out very easily. I have a cool manager so he was ok with me driving it and the guy who was test driving it couldnt really take it past 4500 RPMS. He has a F430 as we speak and says this ZR1 is a beast. He didnt like the ride quality but then again thats just preference, even though its stiff i liked it because im just use to it. Its very hard to imagine after driving this car how much faster does someone need a car to be but i think with everything you get use to it but id be more then happy with that amount of power for a very long time. I hope getting into my Z28 i dont start thinking damnnnnn my sh*t is slow what happened, lol. I was pretty happy with my car and the more i drive faster cars the more for some reason appreciate mine. I think after i install headers i should be at about 355-360 RWHP and ill be happy with that for a while, either way i have great respect for the ZR1 and will never forget the drive.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Thats how corvettes drive with high power. The best way i can describe is like you almost time warp. It has to do with the explosive power and the seating position and the front fenders. Its almost like you accelerate so hard that your mind feels like your surroundings are actually standing still. Most amazing feeling. And stuff that seems way off in the distance comes at you before you know it at the same time. You really have to experience it to understand, I actually know exactly what you mean with the distorted vision comments.

Fuck you for getting to drive it btw lol

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

inb4 "I could build a faster car that looks ten times as cool for a fraction of that money..." etc etc

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    inb4 "I could build a faster car that looks ten times as cool for a fraction of that money..." etc etc
    That breaks down and is a constant money pit that you never stop wrenching on.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

without a warranty

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Never heard anyone say this once....end sarcasm

Impounded
    gmcheviac

If Jeremy clarkson didn't hate the zr1, who can?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I think a member here has a 427 TT ZO6... Granatelli maybe? I'd like to see that car run against the supercharged ZR1!!! Would be very interesting!

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

i've seen a blue zr1 and a black one here locally driving around. the blue one definitely caught my attention real quick. badass cars!

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    I think a member here has a 427 TT ZO6... Granatelli maybe? I'd like to see that car run against the supercharged ZR1!!! Would be very interesting!
    gorrilavette, has a 434 tt vette check out his build thread its on here that thing is freakin rediculous he has all kinds of pictures and vids up you should check them out. And I have the episode of top gear where they tested the ctsv the zr1 and the charger omg the vette is so bad along with the ctsv also. But yes I hate you for getting to drive one their I said it!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro z28

I sat in one of those a few months back and to my surprise they are very comfy. I heard a lot of bitching it has a cobalt steering wheel and cheap interior.

White
    '10 ZR1

Vettes definitely have a different feel during acceleration - as said before, maybe it's due to the seating position, etc, etc...

either way, it's fun

I'd like to see how I'd do vs. a new ZR1 - that'd be fun too

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Vettes definitely have a different feel during acceleration - as said before, maybe it's due to the seating position, etc, etc...

either way, it's fun

I'd like to see how I'd do vs. a new ZR1 - that'd be fun too
    Depends on your mods, they trap 130-135mph, z06 is 125-128mph. Yes yo ucna build a car faster for cheap, but the brake system is 13k alone, and the car is 1 second behind the enzo around the ring, 1 second behind a 1.2mil car. What people forget when they say i could build this and that for less, this car is 100% streetable, gets 25mph freeway, has a warrenty, can run low 10s possibly high 9s with bolt ons and still spank any super exotic around a race course.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Depends on your mods, they trap 130-135mph, z06 is 125-128mph. Yes yo ucna build a car faster for cheap, but the brake system is 13k alone, and the car is 1 second behind the enzo around the ring, 1 second behind a 1.2mil car. What people forget when they say i could build this and that for less, this car is 100% streetable, gets 25mph freeway, has a warrenty, can run low 10s possibly high 9s with bolt ons and still spank any super exotic around a race course.
    West Coast Cylinder heads, Lethal Z camshaft, headers and full exhaust. It's knocking on the door of 600 to the wheels - I like my chances - and NOT cheap at 11 grand. Mine's 100% streetable and gets 25 mpg as well - no warranty though I won't 'guess' 1/4 mile times until I actualy do it.

I'm not a road racer, so I could care less about the braking system - just as long as I can slow down once I run through the traps, I'll be just fine.

My Father-in-law picked this up this past summer. Luckily, I get the privilege of driving it pretty often. It is truly a beast yet, more refined inside and out than the Z06. I took a friend of his for a test drive a few weeks ago and in the cold weather it is still quick even though it's impossible to get traction. If it's warm enough to get traction, it's scary. Bottom line, it's a badass

He's getting new wheels this spring, either black or comp grey.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
    My Father-in-law picked this up this past summer. Luckily, I get the privilege of driving it pretty often. It is truly a beast yet, more refined inside and out than the Z06. I took a friend of his for a test drive a few weeks ago and in the cold weather it is still quick even though it's impossible to get traction. If it's warm enough to get traction, it's scary. Bottom line, it's a badass

He's getting new wheels this spring, either black or comp grey.
    Absolutely beautiful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information