• YES IT IS

0 0%
  • It's a Bad MUTHA, but not the GOAT.

6 85.71%
  • I will never submit to a mopar/ford/etc

1 14.29%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Is the Dodge demon the best Muscle car of all time????

This is a discussion on Is the Dodge demon the best Muscle car of all time???? within the Almost Anything Goes forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; Originally Posted by GTP231 A fat person isn't going to cause the car to be down 10-15 mph. Only thing ...

BRR
    2002 SS LE

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    A fat person isn't going to cause the car to be down 10-15 mph. Only thing that will cause that is less power
    Maybe not the weight of just one person, but to say the only thing that will cause a 10-15 mph slow down is less power is inaccurate. There could be a combination of many things including power, weight, and wind/drag. It's not an inconceivable situation. Surely you can find something better to fault the car or Dodge for than that. In any event, it's the quickest production internal combustion vehicle in history.

red
    95 Z28

This whole "quickest production car" is a great piece of marketing by Dodge. It's becoming obvious that the car isnt going to hit that magical 9.65 number for the overwhelming majority of owners. Even if it does, it's the quickest 1/4 mile production drag car, and that's it. What about beyond the quarter mile? There are a few cars right on its heals in the 1/4 mile that will likely pull equal to a demon pretty quickly afterword. Some will pass it up with ease at a certain point. Despite the fact that it's a low production car, I bet a Bugatti Chiron would not only beat a Demon 9/10 times at a drag strip, but absolutely rape it in any other performance metric. It's no doubt quicker to 200 mph, or any speed above that.

Let's call the Demon what it is. The best street legal drag racer money can buy. And that's it. Make no mistake, I love the Demon, it's a cool concept. I'd rather have a ZL1 or even a regular Hellcat though, because they're so much better at being livable every day cars, and they're still obscenely fast. A new Trackhawk Grand Cherokee would be a damn bit more entertaining than a Demon on the street, and would probably wipe its ass with a Demon from stoplight to stoplight as the Demon floundered for traction

Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by OKSS View Post
    Maybe not the weight of just one person, but to say the only thing that will cause a 10-15 mph slow down is less power is inaccurate. There could be a combination of many things including power, weight, and wind/drag. It's not an inconceivable situation. Surely you can find something better to fault the car or Dodge for than that. In any event, it's the quickest production internal combustion vehicle in history.
    I remember the 99 Cobra though
    Ok so fat guy head wind and less power is what you think it'll take to explain 10-15 less mph? No less power is the most obvious reason as the first two with driver skill will lose 5 maybe 6 mph. Power is the biggest factor
    I've already made plenty of criticism about FCA/modern day Chrysler build quality in many posts on this site. Former tech so I've seen plenty of grenaded Hemis and falling appaet front ends etc first hand. That was one of my reasons for saying it is a dumb car to buy as an investment
    Last edited by GTP231; 01-31-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

BRR
    2002 SS LE

A Bugatti Chiron is how much more than a Demon?

If choosing between the Zl1 and Demon with pricing considered, I also would choose a ZL1. Although if given one to cruise around in for a week, a Demon would be my choice without thinking twice.

A Trackhawk would without a doubt be more fun cruising around in because you could catch TONS of people off guard.

red
    95 Z28

A Bugatti Chiron is how much more than a Demon?.
    That's exactly what a Dodge rep said at a recent car auction I was at where there was both a Demon and a Chiron up for auction. As if price somehow disqualifies the Chiron from being considered a production car. lol.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

That was one of my reasons for saying it is a dumb car to buy as an investment
    The first one at public auction was at Mecum Kissimmee and went for $133k+ fees. The second one at public auction was at Scottsdale BJ and went for $135+ fees. Neither were for charity.

The owners of those two cars.. even if they paid the dealerships $25k.. still made at least a $15k profit. Not sure how that wouldn't be considered a good investment. I'll grant you that it's still in the hot and new phase, but nonetheless, those people made money on their investment in a Dodge vehicle.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    That's exactly what a Dodge rep said at a recent car auction I was at where there was both a Demon and a Chiron up for auction. As if price somehow disqualifies the Chiron from being considered a production car. lol.
    It does not disqualify it, however there still isn't evidence to support the Chiron is faster in a 1/4 mile than a Demon. IMO there's a reason that the 1/4 times for a Chiron are hard to come by. What manufacturer would want to see their elite $2mm+ car get beat by a $90k car?

As we can all agree, the Demon was purposely built to be a street legal quarter mile dragster. Nothing more. If you want something slower in a quarter mile and better around a track, buy something else.

Gray/ White

Hard to come by. Show me a video of that glory pass for the Demon.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

Hard to come by. Show me a video of that glory pass for the Demon.
    There's not one. Just a certification from the NHRA. (Yes, that's just a piece of paper).

The first people to have a Demon have only had them for a few weeks. The Chiron has been available for over a year now.

red
    95 Z28

There's not one. Just a certification from the NHRA. (Yes, that's just a piece of paper).

The first people to have a Demon have only had them for a few weeks. The Chiron has been available for over a year now.
    The Chiron is estimated to be within a tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile. It's also all wheel drive and basically as idiotproof as a car that fast can be to drive, with all of the driving aids. The Demon has already proven to be slower than 9.65 in nearly all conditions with most drivers. It's going to take a lightweight pro driver in excellent conditions to achieve that time, and even then, the Chiron could potentially be faster. The other 99% of the time, the Chiron will be faster. So perhaps it's a bit disingenuous on Dodge's part to go around bragging about how their Demon runs 9.65s. More like high 9s under great conditions, low 10s for most owners.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

BRR
    2002 SS LE

A $2mm should be idiotproof. Even so, the $90k Demon has an NHRA certification of 9.65. The $2mm Chiron does NOT.

What percentage of the time it could possibly be faster is irrelevant in a conversation about the quickest factory production car. Which is, the Dodge Demon.

red
    95 Z28

So if some publication eventually runs them and the Bugatti wins, will you still continue to cling to the NHRA “certification?”

Since when was the NHRA the final word on what was the fastest? GM could go build a factory car that runs 9.50s. If they don’t get it NHRA “certified,” is it still slower than the Demon?

red
    95 Z28

All the NHRA certification means is that they witnessed a car run a time on a certain day. NHRA wouldn’t have a clue if the Demon in question was a 100% production car. My point is, if nobody comes close to that with a true production Demon, it’s nothing but smoke and mirrors.
    GTP231 likes this.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

So if some publication eventually runs them and the Bugatti wins, will you still continue to cling to the NHRA “certification?”
    Nope, but until that day, I'll stick with my opinion that the Demon is the quickest.

Gray/ White

All the NHRA certification means is that they witnessed a car run a time on a certain day. NHRA wouldn’t have a clue if the Demon in question was a 100% production car. My point is, if nobody comes close to that with a true production Demon, it’s nothing but smoke and mirrors.
    Finally someone else states my point.
    At this point I'd be happy with someone getting a reasonably close mph for the claims...

BRR
    2002 SS LE

Finally someone else states my point.
    At this point I'd be happy with someone getting a reasonably close mph for the claims...
    Why are you stuck on MPH claims? Dodge MAY have exaggerated it. Who cares? People are still buying the car, the dyno runs show it makes the HP they say and more, and people who bought them to flip have made money.

As previously stated, you've got to find something else about the car to complain about.

red
    95 Z28

Why are you stuck on MPH claims? Dodge MAY have exaggerated it. Who cares? People are still buying the car, the dyno runs show it makes the HP they say and more, and people who bought them to flip have made money.

As previously stated, you've got to find something else about the car to complain about.
    Did anyone ever claim they wont sell them all? Or that they're not making the appropriate power? And who cares if they're being flipped for profit. Those are all red herrings (logical fallacies) on your part. The question here is are they ever going to run what Dodge claims they will run. Dodge built and is selling this car on the marketing coup that it's the fastest production car ever made, and that it carries the unobtainium NHRA "official" certification. If it never runs that time, or almost never, it's kind of a blunder on Dodge's part.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

Did anyone ever claim they wont sell them all? Or that they're not making the appropriate power? And who cares if they're being flipped for profit. Those are all red herrings (logical fallacies) on your part. The question here is are they ever going to run what Dodge claims they will run. Dodge built and is selling this car on the marketing coup that it's the fastest production car ever made, and that it carries the unobtainium NHRA "official" certification. If it never runs that time, or almost never, it's kind of a blunder on Dodge's part.
    As if this is the only time Dodge or any automaker may have exaggerated performance data.

red
    95 Z28

As if this is the only time Dodge or any automaker may have exaggerated performance data.
    You're right, it doesnt usually matter. With the Demon though, Dodge just had to go get a "certification" that actually certified that their car was so fast. There's a reason why other manufacturers simply offer estimates (usually conservative), and then let people set the standard themselves. It's so they dont look like idiots if the cars never quite meet those estimates in the real world. Fastest production car in the world. Sure hope it beats all comers in all tests from now on, otherwise the claim is easily called into question. The certification was nothing more than one data point, no more or less valid than any other test result.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

You're right, it doesnt usually matter. With the Demon though, Dodge just had to go get a "certification" that actually certified that their car was so fast. There's a reason why other manufacturers simply offer estimates (usually conservative), and then let people set the standard themselves. It's so they dont look like idiots if the cars never quite meet those estimates in the real world. Fastest production car in the world. Sure hope it beats all comers in all tests from now on, otherwise the claim is easily called into question. The certification was nothing more than one data point, no more or less valid than any other test result.
    It's not the FASTEST production car in the world. It's the QUICKEST. No doubt when someone can provide proof (even an NHRA certificate) that is faster than 9.65, the Demon will not longer be considered the quickest.

The certificate was just one data point, it was also a HUGE selling point.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information