414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Deal on a used Explorer good or no?

My beater is a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT, V8 loaded. Here's the breakdown, I own it and now it gives me the headaches. 107k miles on it, both power mirrors are glued in place (previous owner) the LED radio is broke no clock or station or anything shows up, power lock drivers side broken, and keyless entry broke. NOW the sunroof is leaking and water is getting into the headliner. I actually found a dealer who will give me $1200 for it, and I talked him up to 1800! It stinks like mildew inside folks, it really does. He also has an '04 Explorer V6 XLT, pretty much fully loaded. ALSO has 3rd row seating which I currently don't have. Sunroof, rear air CD power seats leather the full package. Exterior in GREAT condition along with prestine interior. Price is $11000, KBB.com has it valued at $12995, I got him down to $10495. After tax tags and all payment for 3 1/2 yrs would be $248, 4 yrs $220.
    I NEED a truck we have 2 labs who constantly ride in the back and we always fill up our truck with goodies from Lowes and make a few mountain trips each year in it. Sound like a good deal?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Still a ford

It would be cheaper to fix the one you have....none of the problems are too big. The sunroof could be leaking from a clogged drain tube...blow compressed air through them.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

04 explorer is a good vehicle. The only dowfall is they eat up rear wheel bearings, but thats about it.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

ps most of the fixes on your old truck are easy. The door luck is more then likely a door lock actuator, the radio display is 9 times out of 10 a new radio, the keyless entry is possibly a remote battery or remote program, the sunroof you should try as severedistortion said, blow out the drains.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

I'm just concerned that this is just the tip of the iceberg with this thing, it's literally like every other week something is going wrong, and I was going to get a new SUV beater in the next few years anyway. I'm guessing at this rate $1800 for my truck isn't all that bad, and now seems like a good time to take a SUV off of a dealers hands with the economy being in the toilet and all. Next year my truck is prol gonna get me $0 squat crap. Again all opinions appreciated, good or bad. And as far as it being a Ford, I like the Explorers, always did.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Still a ford

It would be cheaper to fix the one you have....none of the problems are too big. The sunroof could be leaking from a clogged drain tube...blow compressed air through them.
    How do I get to the drain tube to blow air through it? Thanks.....

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    How do I get to the drain tube to blow air through it? Thanks.....
    open the sunroof, look to the front corners of the sunroof itself, you should see a tube in either corner. disconnected them and blow compressed air lightly if you wanna get crazy you can open up the front fender splash shields where they dump out and make sure that the water and grime flows through down there.

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    04 explorer is a good vehicle. The only dowfall is they eat up rear wheel bearings, but thats about it.
    And front wheel bearings... and rear axle carrier bearings. Transmissions are garbage. The AC systems always seem to be leaking somewhere and the HVAC doors and actuators are crap.

The 02-05 Explorer is a big step down from what you currently have. You will not eliminate any headaches switching to one. And being an 04 that means you've got the crap drive by wire setup - make sure every module in that thing has been updated if you buy it! The Explorer you have IMO is the best Explorer Ford ever made. Like 310stanger said, the few problems you do have a minor and easily fixed. Open the sunroof glass. The front drains are in the corners. Easiest way to diagnose a leak there is to pour a little water in the front trough and observe. They should drain out to the bottom of the A-pillar. If they are blocked, air might do it. Sometimes the hoses pop off the sunroof also.
    Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 12-27-2008 at 05:03 PM.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    And front wheel bearings... and rear axle carrier bearings. Transmissions are garbage. The AC systems always seem to be leaking somewhere and the HVAC doors and actuators are crap.

The 02-05 Explorer is a big step down from what you currently have. You will not eliminate any headaches switching to one. And being an 04 that means you've got the crap drive by wire setup - make sure every module in that thing has been updated if you buy it! The Explorer you have IMO is the best Explorer Ford ever made. Like 310stanger said, the few problems you do have a minor and easily fixed. Open the sunroof glass. The front drains are in the corners. Easiest way to diagnose a leak there is to pour a little water in the front trough and observe. They should drain out to the bottom of the A-pillar. If they are blocked, air might do it. Sometimes the hoses pop off the sunroof also.
    Front wheel bearings come as a bolt in hub assembly. No big deal. The rear diff problems, yes they existed but by this point an 04 would have had the diff assembly replaced. However, with everything being perfect, the 02 and up explorers ride a million times better, are quieter, and the fit and finish is better then the ones before it. The model he has now is notorious for 50k front balljoint replacements, which entails upper control arms etc.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Front wheel bearings come as a bolt in hub assembly. No big deal. The rear diff problems, yes they existed but by this point an 04 would have had the diff assembly replaced. However, with everything being perfect, the 02 and up explorers ride a million times better, are quieter, and the fit and finish is better then the ones before it. The model he has now is notorious for 50k front balljoint replacements, which entails upper control arms etc.
    Yeah had to do the upper ball joints last year, about 12k miles ago

Not to get into a pissing match, but I still do 02-04 rear wheel bearing and rear axle overhauls on a damn near daily basis. I've even rebuilt the rears that were replaced as complete units early in the game, before rebuild parts were available. Lower ball joints are the same crap as before. Upper seem better, but the boots don't last and the joint goes soon after. They require replacement of the upper arm as well (well half anyway).

They do ride nicer due to the rear IRS, but when you factor in the price of regular parking brake replacement, rear wheel bearing replacement, rear axle overhaul, rear struts leaking, and rear coil springs breaking it doesn't seem like a worthy upgrade to me.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Not to get into a pissing match, but I still do 02-04 rear wheel bearing and rear axle overhauls on a damn near daily basis. I've even rebuilt the rears that were replaced as complete units early in the game, before rebuild parts were available. Lower ball joints are the same crap as before. Upper seem better, but the boots don't last and the joint goes soon after. They require replacement of the upper arm as well (well half anyway).

They do ride nicer due to the rear IRS, but when you factor in the price of regular parking brake replacement, rear wheel bearing replacement, rear axle overhaul, rear struts leaking, and rear coil springs breaking it doesn't seem like a worthy upgrade to me.
    Provided that when you take off the rear rotors the rear parking brake shoes come off in whole pieces, take the epoxy that was used on the rear hatch glass bracket recall and glue those bastards back on, hold them down with vice grips. Lot easier then replacing the the shoes and springs with the spindles in the way. I had done it several times while at ford and it worked fine, held the parking brake as good as its supposed to etc.

Provided that when you take off the rear rotors the rear parking brake shoes come off in whole pieces, take the epoxy that was used on the rear hatch glass bracket recall and glue those bastards back on, hold them down with vice grips. Lot easier then replacing the the shoes and springs with the spindles in the way. I had done it several times while at ford and it worked fine, held the parking brake as good as its supposed to etc.
    Screw that! Book time pays 1.6 hours per side for those shoes

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Screw that! Book time pays 1.6 hours per side for those shoes
    I was with Ford when that shit was still covered.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

How often does the above stuff break/go bad? Any idea of what the oarts cost to repair all of the above mentioned stuff? Thanks for your opinions it is appreciated!

Thread Information