Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Dazed and Confused

How many of you grew up in the 70s, perhaps even the 60s?

I've read a few books and watched a few documentaries of rock bands during this period and it just doesn't seem real to me. I watched Dazed and Confused (last night) and movies like Caddyshack and afterwards I feel great, but kinda bummed out, like I really missed out. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change anything about my life right now, but if I could change something, I think I would have wanted to grow up in the 70s.

From what I've read, people say this movie is pretty much a documentary about the 70s, it's that accurate. I'm just curious how you all feel about it.

Today, it just seems like I'm running around, doing crap non-stop and everyone just seemed so laid back in the 70s era compared to now. I don't even see kids around here anymore. I honestly don't know where they all are. I'm assuming it's the video games. When I realized this in my early to mid 20s, I completely stopped playing them and I've pretty much quit watching TV other than an occasional football game.

At the end of the day I just ask myself, "where the fuck did we exactly go wrong?" Was it the feminist movement? Honestly?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Oh and I also went back to college a year ago, finishing that up now. WTF happened there as well? It's just a business model used to make money from unsuspecting kids that don't understand basic finance. I think most kids have a steady prescription of adderral just to keep up with all the homework and online hw and tests you have to do. If you watch any movie that's famous for being about college, it's the complete opposite experience. All the kids live at home it seems like and you can't talk to 90% of them because their head is always buried in their phone. Well I didn't mean to make this, this negative. I just sit back sometimes and wonder wtf happened to our society.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I was born in 70 so a little before my time and I was more of an 80's kid but I'll tell you a few things wrong with the 70's. While some or even most of this stuff was around it wasn't affordable by 99% of the people yet. Black/white TV in most homes with about 4 channels, no vcr's, all phones had a cord on them and rotary dial, no caller ID, no microwave ovens, 8 track tape players with FFD only, couldn't pause shit movies or music, records were still the most popular way of hearing music and while they've made a come back for some reason the sound quality sucked then and sucks today, stereos and speakers in general sucked, cars were pieces of shit in general, emissions killed muscle cars, paneling, shag carpet, bell bottom jeans, hippies and potheads, zippered boots, corduroy pants, no fake tits, if you wanted a meal that didn't take 2 hours to make it had to be a shitty TV dinner that still took 45 minutes to cook because you had to cook it in the oven, a kickass kids toy was a fucking compass out of a cracker jacks box or if you were real lucky a temporary tattoo, teachers beat your ass on a regular basis, gym shorts were short shorts and tube socks were really long, the coolest shoes around were a pair of chuck taylor all star's, the best option for pizza at home was out of a Schwan truck and was a Tony's pizza, ect ect. I could go on and on. Don't let the movies fool you....the 70's were shitty compared to now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I would have to say unions were a big reason we are where we are today politically and socially. The left got the unions, everybody in the 70s was union friendly and so a lot of people became one issue voters. Union members peaked in 1979 in this country. Democrats controlled high population areas and legislated the shit out of their agenda which then spread to entire states because of a majority of voters being in populated areas. Legislation over time has severe effects on how a society thinks and acts.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-24-2015 at 05:21 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I was born in 70 so a little before my time and I was more of an 80's kid but I'll tell you a few things wrong with the 70's. While some or even most of this stuff was around it wasn't affordable by 99% of the people yet. Black/white TV in most homes with about 4 channels, no vcr's, all phones had a cord on them and rotary dial, no caller ID, no microwave ovens, 8 track tape players with FFD only, couldn't pause shit movies or music, records were still the most popular way of hearing music and while they've made a come back for some reason the sound quality sucked then and sucks today, stereos and speakers in general sucked, cars were pieces of shit in general, emissions killed muscle cars, paneling, shag carpet, bell bottom jeans, hippies and potheads, zippered boots, corduroy pants, no fake tits, if you wanted a meal that didn't take 2 hours to make it had to be a shitty TV dinner that still took 45 minutes to cook because you had to cook it in the oven, a kickass kids toy was a fucking compass out of a cracker jacks box or if you were real lucky a temporary tattoo, teachers beat your ass on a regular basis, gym shorts were short shorts and tube socks were really long, the coolest shoes around were a pair of chuck taylor all star's, the best option for pizza at home was out of a Schwan truck and was a Tony's pizza, ect ect. I could go on and on. Don't let the movies fool you....the 70's were shitty compared to now.

All of this ^^^^^

<<Another 70's baby that grew up in the 80's.

Tim you need to specify with 70's we're talking about Jim might get confused with the 1870's.....

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

All of this ^^^^^

Tim you need to specify with 70's we're talking about Jim might get confused with the 1870's.....
    Back in my day

I don't have the time right now to go in depth but the movie "Dazed and Confused" pretty much sums quite a bit of it up. FWIW, I graduated HS in 72.

Tim is right in that you didn't have the things you do today, but you had all those muscle cars and all those hot babes in bell bottoms. Plus I grew up in Los Angeles AND played in a band...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Back in my day

I don't have the time right now to go in depth but the movie "Dazed and Confused" pretty much sums quite a bit of it up. FWIW, I graduated HS in 72.

Tim is right in that you didn't have the things you do today, but you had all those muscle cars and all those hot babes in bell bottoms. Plus I grew up in Los Angeles AND played in a band...
    Well you're the exact person I want to hear from then. I worked with a guy who was in his 60s and all we talked about was the 70s and 80s in California, he was from San Diego. He said he's been to parties with Deep Purple and even Ratt, but he said Stephen Pearcy was such a dick.

And Tim, pretty much everything you mentioned is why I think the 70s were great. Back when women knew how to cook and people weren't inside watching TV all day. They knew how to socialize I guess it seems. I kinda like that you can't rewind a song as well. It makes you appreciate the moment a bit more.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

I was 10 years old in the 70's, I got to see the true muscle cars like the Challanger R/T, Cuda', SD455 Trans Am and the Road Runner and gas was only .69 cents a gallon and I took it all for granted.
    And since I grew up on a farm I was driving a car in the fields when I was 14 or 15, and to answer your question on "what happen" I guess it all depends on where you grew up. And what's wrong with today's society is the internet, don't get me wrong the internet is not all bad but some people live on the computer.
    2002 Firebird Formula - 5.7 Liter - "Last of the Breed"

98 Formula
    06 duramax

seems all the main problems you guys have with today all have power buttons on them.....just turn them off. You want to live like they did back in the day? Easily accomplished. Just turn off everything or sell it all and move to Alaska. Me......I'll keep the technology and advancements and let them work for me instead of working for them. If I want to hear 40 year old music I'll just pick that playlist on the ipod.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

All of this ^^^^^

Or the 1770's...
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

I don't believe microwaves were rare by the late 70's. Likewise, I think most people had color TV and more than 4 channels by then. VCRs began appearing during the decade.

For the record, the 70's sounds awful to me. Even the cars don't appeal to me. (The Cars band might have been the best thing from that time.)

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    I don't believe microwaves were rare by the late 70's. Likewise, I think most people had color TV and more than 4 channels by then. VCRs began appearing during the decade.

For the record, the 70's sounds awful to me. Even the cars don't appeal to me. (The Cars band might have been the best thing from that time.)

Alice Cooper, KISS, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Judas Priest, AC/DC ....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

noticed I specifically said "affordable". 1975 Sears catalog had their cheapest microwave at $189.95 or $658.82 in today's money. In 1986 only 25% of american homes owned a microwave....in 1971......1%. I remember our first microwave and dad boiling a cup of water in it and being in awe that it boiled water but didn't melt the styrofoam cup. In 1977 a 25" sylvania console set would set you back about $530 for the cheap end which is $2100 in today's money. I grew up in a rural area so in the cities cable was probably more readily available but we didn't have cable at my house until the early to mid 80's.

I also remember when HBO first came out and it was actually a "box" you put inline with your cable.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post

VCRs may have begun to appear in the later 70s but they weren't common until the 80s. The 70s is when everyone began having color TVs.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

The 70's had some good. However, fashion, architecture, home decor, cars, and disco weren't on the list for sure Being able to be a kid, was.

I stand by that. I actually strongly prefer those other acts' 80's material.

Thread Information