1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

Question Computer question. Dell or Gateway desktop?

Not buying from these sites. Just showing the products and pics. Which should I get?

I'm considering this Gateway:
    http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....p!sf!dept&ocm=

OR

This Dell:
    http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dl...EARCH-_-SEARCH

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Quote Originally Posted by nitrox28
    Not buying from these sites. Just showing the products and pics. Which should I get?

I'm considering this Gateway:
    http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....p!sf!dept&ocm=

OR

This Dell:
    http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dl...EARCH-_-SEARCH

The Gateway

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

build your own

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Choosing between those two, the Gateway, no contest.
    Double the memory, triple the harddisk space, far superior CPU, drive that read/write CD's and DVD's versus Dell that can only read DVD's.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

You're so much better off not buying either one...

That said, given the choice between the two, I'd go with the Gateway.

ive got gateway

great, no problems

Leaving for Lackland soon

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

I have 2 things to say... first off, dont order them from QVC or HSN, get them directly from the company. Often times the companies will fight over warranty issues. secondly, pay the extra 70 bucks or whatever to get windows XP professional... Windows XP Home, and XP media center edition. SUCK!
    2000 Black Camaro Z28 - !Cags, Spec Stage 3 clutch, Drill Mod, Smooth Bellows, High Flow Lid, Free Ram Air Mod, 150 Wet Shot Cold Fusion Nitrous

N/A 333rwhp 340 RWTQ
    N20 476RWHP 493RWT (Finally got it tuned)
    http://www.dakotafbodies.com

BOOSTD
    I would say get neither. Both computers are crap. Many use cheep components to save on money. In my experiences, these cuts have all lead to poor performance, reliabiliy, and an all arround piece of $hit computer.

If I HAD to choose between the two, I would choose Gateway because its the lesser of the two evils... but not by much

blue/silver
    1988 Camaro

If you're not building your own, get the Gateway. Intel Celeron processors suck.

BOOSTD
    I would go with Alienware if I were you. They've got a Bot line that is right down your ally. Unfortunatly, they dont offer the Pentium D on the bots (their offered in the higher end desktops), but I can assure you that the computer will be much better quality than a Dell/Gateway could ever provide. Also, Alienware's tech support is second to none.

I own an Alienware and I've got nothing but good things to say about it. About 6 months after I bought it, the power supply in my computer went out. Im thinking it went bad because my dorm room was extrimely dusty and probably clogged up the electronics. Regardless, Alienware sent out a new power supply within the week. The next week an on-site technition came out to my dorm and replaced the power supply. It was all free and they didn't give me any hastle about it at all.

P.S. No, Alienware hasn't payed me off or anything...

Link -> http://www.alienware.com/Configurato...de=SKU-DEFAULT

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

what are you going to be using the computer for?
    If graphics, then get a Mac. Hell I'd buy a Mac no matter what but I'm in graphic design and Macs are what I've always used.
    Why get a Mac? Very little worries about viruses, trojan horses, spyware, etc.
    Hardly ever crashes. Maybe once a month if that. A lot of the same SW if offered for Macs and my dual processor G5 is very very fast.

I guess games are another story as is the availability of some SW. But I'm more interested in crunching huge files in photoshop than I am in playing games. I have an Xbox 360 for that. But hey i dont mean to hijack your thread.

Looks like most PC guys like the Gateway but my former place of employment used Dell servers and they never had any issues for the 5 years or so while I was there.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    what are you going to be using the computer for?
    If graphics, then get a Mac. Hell I'd buy a Mac no matter what but I'm in graphic design and Macs are what I've always used.
    Why get a Mac? Very little worries about viruses, trojan horses, spyware, etc.
    Hardly ever crashes. Maybe once a month if that. A lot of the same SW if offered for Macs and my dual processor G5 is very very fast.
    Bleh...not a mac. I haven't ever been very impressed with them at all. Not their OSes, their performance, and definitely not their gaming. Some people really like them, but I cannot claim to be one of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    Looks like most PC guys like the Gateway but my former place of employment used Dell servers and they never had any issues for the 5 years or so while I was there.
    I've had good luck with Dells. My family has had three of them, and I own a Dell laptop. My biggest problem with them is that they use all proprietary stuff. Their own motherboards, power supplies, all sorts of shit. Limits you on upgrades and maintanence. I don't know if Gateway does that or not, I've never owned one. Second to the proprietary hardware, bloatware is my next complaint about Dell. They come loaded down with a big pile of bullshit software from the factory. First thing I did when I got my laptop was spend a couple of hours uninstalling stuff. Such a pain. I picked the Gateway 'cause it's more of a computer.

You're alot better off building your own. It's not hard, at all. You'll end up with better stuff, you can fix it yourself if it breaks (every part comes with a warranty), and upgrades are easy.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

It all depends on the actual model and I couldn't read the model on those......

We all have opinions but the bottom line is how you intend to use the system, what software you will need, and what type of support, if any, you want.

All in all, most low end consumer models form anywhere, including the home built variety, suck.

I have actually been quite pleased with the Gateway E6500 series for my corporate clients. I know you can do better on price by building your own but the system is rock solid, stable, support can actually speak and comprehend english, it has a little built in wizard for the technology challenged to create ISO images and it has the Intel network management stuff built in. You can get a three year warranty at a reasonable price if you like that sort of thing, and there is plenty of room in the case for most basic crap.

I have been putting these in offices and I am not getting beat up for a hundred bucks on the price, I'm not seeing them break down, I'm not having and flaky compatability issues, and my clients are happy.

Now if you are a gamer and average home user you probably don't want to pay for one of these properly set up, but in my world of small business computing these things are great because I can burn one imahe and put it on ten different computers and life is happy and good, and if something goes wrong i get an email that something is wrong and sometimes have the service call scheduled before the customer even knows they have a problem.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

Thread Information