Computer gurus enter, sound problems galor

No idea how or when this started by my audio is going nuts. Ive tried reinstalling the drivers but its the same. im goin nuts cause music is very big part of my day, if i dont get my fix i break shit, and im running out of shit to break.

started off i noticed that my mp3's were really poppy, sound like an old record. then i noticed that if im listening to an mp3 and another sound source opens up, like say a youtube video, the video sound plays fine, but the mp3 will go into super slowmo and reverb like theres no tomorrow.

it def isnt a memory problem, googled it alot but i have 4gb of sys ram and even if its only an mp3 player the sound still gets poppy. BUT game sound all sound FINE. equalizer hasnt changed, and i cant remember when or how this started, didnt install any updates or change anything that i can remember.

its def not the speakers because like i said, game audio is fine, and if i switch outputs to digital to my reciever the audio there pops too.

any ideas? im at a loss and i idont feel like formatting.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Hmm, I'll have to think that one over...

What sound card do you have and which OS?

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Sounds like your sound card is starting to take crap. Try taking it out and getting the dust off of it... or if you have onboard sound, try blowing out the motherboard itself... if that doesn't work, you might just need to replace the card/buy a new one.

Oh, and I would tell you to go to the computer forum, but I'm sure this will get moved there anyway.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

One other thing to try... uninstall the sound card/drivers, and then reinstall them with an older version. It might be the new drivers themselves causing the problem...

tried a rollback even... gunna play with the bios tomorrow see if there is anything there worth a look.

its built into my motherboard, asus hd realtek or something on vista ultimate 64.

its pissing me off cause nothing changed as far as i know, its clean inside too, have a filtered intake on the thing even! gunna do a scan tonight maybe i picked up some spyware or some shit that i cant see in the process list that sucking up memory.,,?

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    tried a rollback even... gunna play with the bios tomorrow see if there is anything there worth a look.

its built into my motherboard, asus hd realtek or something on vista ultimate 64.

its pissing me off cause nothing changed as far as i know, its clean inside too, have a filtered intake on the thing even! gunna do a scan tonight maybe i picked up some spyware or some shit that i cant see in the process list that sucking up memory.,,?
    Not likely... it sounds like you know what you are doing...

Which makes me think even more that its just taking a crap. Pick up a cheapie sound card... see if that fixes it.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Have you gone into the realtek HD audio manager to view the settings?

I also have Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Sometimes I wonder if it was worth it...

Also, do you have anything like Real Player installed? If so, make sure that it is not the default and check those settings too.

got it working... heres how if anyone ever has the same problem. deleted the damn thing from windows device manager completly, deleted the drivers from the hd completly, rebooted, disabled the device in bios, rebooted, enabled the device, installed original drivers, rebooted, scanned for new hardware and let it use the drivers on the hd... and it works. now im gunna install the hd audio software updates, hopefully it stays working, but at least i have my audio quality back, i could live with not having the hd studio software nonsense, i barely ever use it.

thanks for the tips guys... i know its a car forum but i get answers here quicker then anywhere else!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    got it working... heres how if anyone ever has the same problem. deleted the damn thing from windows device manager completly, deleted the drivers from the hd completly, rebooted, disabled the device in bios, rebooted, enabled the device, installed original drivers, rebooted, scanned for new hardware and let it use the drivers on the hd... and it works. now im gunna install the hd audio software updates, hopefully it stays working, but at least i have my audio quality back, i could live with not having the hd studio software nonsense, i barely ever use it.

thanks for the tips guys... i know its a car forum but i get answers here quicker then anywhere else!
    Cool. Before you do the update downloads... do a restore point just in case that's what the problem was in the first place

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    One other thing to try... uninstall the sound card/drivers, and then reinstall them with an older version. It might be the new drivers themselves causing the problem...
    I win

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    I win

Gee, if I would have known that this was a contest... I may have put in more effort.

Damn! I hate losing

Thread Information