Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

close call Sunday

Went up to the Maumee river for the walleye run last weekend. Not a lot of luck really but that's a different story. Took the camper and stayed in it up there. Sunday I was cutting it close on check out time at the campground so I was rushing around getting shit packed up and washing the dishes. Towards the end of washing the dishes I noticed the sink drain was starting to stink. I'm pretty meticulous with the camper so it was pretty puzzling why the drain was stinking. I thought maybe the waste tank vent got clogged and was pushing the gases into the camper. Since I was in a hurry I decided to wait until I got home to mess with it.
    I drive the 4 hours home and get the camper unhooked and what not and start unpacking it and now it smells 10x worse than it did when I left. I dump a bunch of bleach down the drain and put a chem pack in it that removes odor and then fill the tank up all the way with water to let it sit. I go back out a few hours later and it's still just as bad as it was. That's when I find the problem. It wasn't methane I was smelling.....while cleaning I had turned the knob on the stove a little bit and it was propane. I basically towed a bomb for 4 hours. I'm not sure how big it would've been but 38'x9'x7' = 2394 cubic feet of propane. I imagine it would've made quite a bit of noise followed by a fairly impressive fireball. New on the traveling check list for 2014 is to check the damn stove knobs prior to leaving. I can't just shut the propane off because the fridge runs on propane while towing. Which brings up the point that during the whole trip I had the electronic ignition going off every now and then to the fridge. It's separated from the interior of the camper so at least now I know they did a pretty good job of caulking around everything because I'm guessing a good set of sparks in that much propane would've made for a hectic 30 seconds of towing a fireball off the side of the road. I'm going to look at the gas line going to the stove and install a cutoff switch to it but I can guarantee that camper will never be closed up again until I've checked and re-checked the stove knobs.

red
    95 Z28

It's happenings like you described that have led me to be really OCD about shit like that.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yikes!

I am always worried about leaving something on at the Beaver Springs house when we leave. I have a white board next to the door to the garage with a checklist on it. Every time we leave, I run down the entire list and haven't missed anything yet that I know of.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes pretty scarey! I bet it would've been more like a huge explosion. Our pop-up has no 'fridge, but I don't always check the propane bottle when we travel. I will now.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm pretty OCD about it myself when packing and unpacking. I won't let other people help me because I always end up going back and checking stuff anyhow plus I like to know how everything was done. This was just a case of wiping down the stove and not realizing I'd turned that knob a little bit. You have to press the knob in to turn it so it was a 1 in a million shot. It was only cracked open a little bit but it was enough to let the propane leak. What surprised me the most is that I didn't even recognize it as propane. I just assumed it was tank gases. I remember thinking once for a minute that it smelled like propane. I even opened the cupboard that the water heater is in and smelled in there thinking the water heater was on and didn't light but it never even crossed my mind to check the stove knobs. I'm guessing that explosion would've been something straight out of mythbusters. Just had a stupid moment and fortunately nothing bad happened. It was a bad situation though that could've gotten much worse in a hurry.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Are you able to install a cut off valve between the stove and the main line?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Went up to the Maumee river for the walleye run last weekend. Not a lot of luck really but that's a different story. Took the camper and stayed in it up there. Sunday I was cutting it close on check out time at the campground so I was rushing around getting shit packed up and washing the dishes. Towards the end of washing the dishes I noticed the sink drain was starting to stink. I'm pretty meticulous with the camper so it was pretty puzzling why the drain was stinking. I thought maybe the waste tank vent got clogged and was pushing the gases into the camper. Since I was in a hurry I decided to wait until I got home to mess with it.
    I drive the 4 hours home and get the camper unhooked and what not and start unpacking it and now it smells 10x worse than it did when I left. I dump a bunch of bleach down the drain and put a chem pack in it that removes odor and then fill the tank up all the way with water to let it sit. I go back out a few hours later and it's still just as bad as it was. That's when I find the problem. It wasn't methane I was smelling.....while cleaning I had turned the knob on the stove a little bit and it was propane. I basically towed a bomb for 4 hours. I'm not sure how big it would've been but 38'x9'x7' = 2394 cubic feet of propane. I imagine it would've made quite a bit of noise followed by a fairly impressive fireball. New on the traveling check list for 2014 is to check the damn stove knobs prior to leaving. I can't just shut the propane off because the fridge runs on propane while towing. Which brings up the point that during the whole trip I had the electronic ignition going off every now and then to the fridge. It's separated from the interior of the camper so at least now I know they did a pretty good job of caulking around everything because I'm guessing a good set of sparks in that much propane would've made for a hectic 30 seconds of towing a fireball off the side of the road. I'm going to look at the gas line going to the stove and install a cutoff switch to it but I can guarantee that camper will never be closed up again until I've checked and re-checked the stove knobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Are you able to install a cut off valve between the stove and the main line?
    try to keep up.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

too much reading....

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

First sign of old age...

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    too much reading....
    Come you're forgetting he claims to be a Texas native...
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Kind of reminds of this one time years ago. I was dating this girl and went to her house after work. Before I get on the front porch I smelled natural gas. Open up the front door and the smell almost knocks me down. My girlfriend is sitting in the living room smoking a cigarette. I ask her about the gas smell and she says she doesn't smell it. I go over to the oven and one of the knobs is partially on. The last time she had messed with the oven was supper, aprox 5:00. It was after 10 when I was there.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Kind of reminds of this one time years ago. I was dating this girl and went to her house after work. Before I get on the front porch I smelled natural gas. Open up the front door and the smell almost knocks me down. My girlfriend is sitting in the living room smoking a cigarette. I ask her about the gas smell and she says she doesn't smell it. I go over to the oven and one of the knobs is partially on. The last time she had messed with the oven was supper, aprox 5:00. It was after 10 when I was there.
    wow...she got lucky...really lucky...
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I almost got to see someone die Saturday too. Lake Erie was really calm Saturday morning when we went out. We ended up about 20 miles away from the ramp by the afternoon. We were on our way back to the ramp and was probably a mile or so from shore. The Lake had gotten pretty nasty.....3-5' waves. There was a sailboat up ahead of us and we were heading in that direction. I looked up and the sail is gone. We were all like "WTF?" and kept rolling. We get a little bit further up and you could see it was capsized. By the time we got to it someone else had already made it there and pulled them out of the water. It was 2 older people in a little dinky ass sailboat. I'm guessing they went out when it was nice and just didn't make it back in time before the winds picked up and made the Lake rough. I'm guessing in 38 degree water it wouldn't have taken long for them to be dead. They were probably more lucky than I was last weekend.
    I also learned another fun fact. You can go back out and salvage the boat and then the owner has to buy it back from you. Really dick move but I guess it's all legal. Someone back at the dock was telling us that.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I almost got to see someone die Saturday too. Lake Erie was really calm Saturday morning when we went out. We ended up about 20 miles away from the ramp by the afternoon. We were on our way back to the ramp and was probably a mile or so from shore. The Lake had gotten pretty nasty.....3-5' waves. There was a sailboat up ahead of us and we were heading in that direction. I looked up and the sail is gone. We were all like "WTF?" and kept rolling. We get a little bit further up and you could see it was capsized. By the time we got to it someone else had already made it there and pulled them out of the water. It was 2 older people in a little dinky ass sailboat. I'm guessing they went out when it was nice and just didn't make it back in time before the winds picked up and made the Lake rough. I'm guessing in 38 degree water it wouldn't have taken long for them to be dead. They were probably more lucky than I was last weekend.
    I also learned another fun fact. You can go back out and salvage the boat and then the owner has to buy it back from you. Really dick move but I guess it's all legal. Someone back at the dock was telling us that.
    Job opportunity...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

My Terry travel trailer has propane sensor alarm thing . And I bought that camper new in 1996....
    I'm guessing your sensor wasn't working?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I pulled the fuse on mine last year It's a carbon monoxide detector and it kept going off when there would be more than 3 people sleeping in there and it was raining. I guess the extra humidity in the air was causing it. I bought another one that runs on batteries but just haven't put it in there yet.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    wow...she got lucky...really lucky...
    Explosions only happen in the movies.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Gray/ White

I can only imagine how much gas Spaz's wife deals with on a daily basis

red
    95 Z28

I pulled the fuse on mine last year It's a carbon monoxide detector and it kept going off when there would be more than 3 people sleeping in there and it was raining. I guess the extra humidity in the air was causing it. I bought another one that runs on batteries but just haven't put it in there yet.

oh you lucky dumbass.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information