Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Close call after repair

Ok so most of yal know about how my car was hurt.
    Hears the link if yal dont hears the link w/pics: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96270

And I wanted to take it back to my home town because of the well known body shop there, my family has always been customers, and we kind of know the owner through that, because we take little things to him too. Cool guy graduated same school I did and his son was in my class. I picked it up last Friday and one thing I did notice is that (I have the sticky clutch pedal) when I got in my car the clutch was half way to the floor board (only happens to me at high RPMs...)I didn’t say anything but I look at my rear tires which weren’t that good to begin with. And, yeah they are pretty much gone...idk ill probalbly mention it later to him.
    To the main point, and to fill yal guys in check this out. After I picked it up I drove up and down town all weekend. They did an alignment on it and it made big difference, I could stop at highway speed and it would stay in its lane without my help(unlike b4) So coming back to Fort worth on Sunday, leaving town I felt every time I switch lanes to the left I would feel a vibration. So I was like wtf check my tire pressure and if I could see a knot or something but my wheels seemed fine. Well half way hear in Waco the vibration just gets bad quick, the steering wheel pulls back and forth rapidly I quickly pull over to find that I broke 5 wheel studs. Some were still on the rim with the nut on it. On my pass front I broke 3studs, recovered 2. On my drivers rear I broke 2 and recovered 1 of them. But the rest of the lug nuts on those two wheels were basically hand tight. So being that the side that took the impact was passenger I didn’t have a jack nor tools. Asked a guy down the street and he lent me some. I picked the car up and tightened the rest. I drove the rest of the 1hr1/2 trip with only 2 lug nuts on one tire and 3 on the other. Hears a bad pic just for credibility lol:

I called the owner Monday morning, and was very disappointed. He took full responsibility, told me that if I took it back he would pay the fee and fix it himself. And to check if my rims were ok and safe. Or send him the bill and he would cover it, and as long as I was ok. But I told him I could do it myself wasn’t a big deal but could have been really bad. I ended up changing all 10 of the studs myself I can work on my car and saw that I needed rear brakes by doing that.

So just thought I would share my experience, and see what thoughts yal have. Or if anything like this has happen to any of you.

And thanks on the comments ahead of time, I know I can count on yal.
    Last edited by NorthwoodDavid; 10-27-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

holy shit. It's amazing that the store owner took responsibility. that was poor on his part to forget something like that, but impressive that he didn't blow it off. Glad you didn't hurt your car.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

yeah i told him it could happen to anybody, and he was like yeah but i dont like things like that happening in my shop. [/THUMB]He even offered to pay the $2 studs i replace my selflol.

But im not in it to screw some body for an honest mistake(that his workers did), and sew them for something that COULD OF happen. I told him i would rather stay on good terms. (bc i know later on down the line me or my familly is gunna need him)

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Pretty shitty but at least he didnt blow you off.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

taking responsibility is a big deal, he didn't even blame his employees. shows a pretty good man of his word, but sadly, who ever was in charge, wasn't a man of his work. but again, honest mistake.

Awaiting Activation

You drove an hour and a half on two studs??

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I think that you should start working on your own cars or find a better mechanic.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I think that you should start working on your own cars or find a better mechanic.
    ...lol i dont think you saw the before pic here you go:

Now you see why some of use have to take it to a shop for repairs like this. I do work on my car. I cant afford for someone else to do so, but even then i wouldnt want anyone touching my car as far as the engine and drive train. I know the basics, i did my cam and valve train, headers and every mod on my car on a drive way.
    Last edited by NorthwoodDavid; 10-28-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
    You drove an hour and a half on two studs??
    yeah i know it was stupid but if you have ever been to waco you know thats not a place you want to leave your car overnight. I have no access to a tailer, i would of had to rent one the next day. So i kinda had to take my chances on this one. I did drive like a grandmal not exceding 55 lol and was kinda waiting for something to give, but thankfully it turn out ok.

Awaiting Activation

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodDavid View Post
    yeah i know it was stupid but if you have ever been to waco you know thats not a place you want to leave your car overnight. I have no access to a tailer, i would of had to rent one the next day. So i kinda had to take my chances on this one. I did drive like a grandmal not exceding 55 lol and was kinda waiting for something to give, but thankfully it turn out ok.

I have been to Waco and have left my car overnight in various places. It's not downtown Detroit.

I also have been in a vehicle which, unbeknownst to me, only had three lug nuts on it. It was a six lug wheel and the lugs where all on one side. It came off while going around a blind curve at about 45mph. Bad things happened.

Glad you made it ok, but next time might not have the same outcome.

Anytime I have to take my car to a tire shop or whatever, I check the lugs.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
    I have been to Waco and have left my car overnight in various places. It's not downtown Detroit.

I also have been in a vehicle which, unbeknownst to me, only had three lug nuts on it. It was a six lug wheel and the lugs where all on one side. It came off while going around a blind curve at about 45mph. Bad things happened.

Glad you made it ok, but next time might not have the same outcome.

Anytime I have to take my car to a tire shop or whatever, I check the lugs.
    lol yeah your right its not detroit, but all i ever do is just pass by waco and turn. I would know where to park my car over night with out some one f'en with it and me not being able to return till the follwing evening. And the two were not together(not that big of a difference i know lol),but i problably wouldnt of had tryed it then.

...thats a good thing you check, but i didnt even think of it honestly. I was more worried about checking if the body and paint was good, not really checking if the lug nuts were fully tight or not. But when i first pulled over i could lossen them with my fingers.

where in dfw are u at man?

Thread Information