white
    2002 z28

chevy VOLT is smooth

http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/

i love the look and the idea of the electric, im guessing most builders will end of this way in the future

It's actually a good looking car. It's also very interesting that they will have such a flexible engine.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I just wonder what your electric bills would look like recharging a car everynight. Also it says it good for 40 miles but 40 miles can take 2 hours or 30 minutes to get through and that would make a big difference in battery life. Traffic around here is horrible.

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

i love this concept, just plug it into the wall, hey where does that power come from? In the us its mostly coal burning power plants so there goes your no green house gasses being released.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

^^^^^^^ exactly, conservation of energy wins again !!!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Sounds like it has some sort of a gas/E85/biodiesel generator on it that charges the battery on the go... but doesn't put power to the wheels

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

man that would be freakin perfect for me...30 miles one way to school and not use any gas. isn't this thing supposed to hit showrooms in a couple years?

white
    2002 z28

i think by 2012

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

if they could make it affordable that would be good but then again a car with the same features would probably be 6k-10k cheaper so your going to spend more to get that electric car, you better plan on keeping the damn thing for a long time before its even a savings factor over whats currently available but by that time the batteries will probably be in need of a change and where does all that crap go.

white
    2002 z28

i heard that these hybrids make up the differenece in 10 years of the hybrid option. soo i guess if you car about the enviroment yes do it. but still really new to this

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

I would spend $500+ on solar panels and charge the car that way.

I saw this car in NYC Auto Show and from a far distance it looked like the 09 Camaro.

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

thats exactly what im talking about.. Step dad looked into it since he drives alot and wanted the best gas mileage. Sure the hybrids are better for the mpg but cost a whole hell of alot more with less options let alone crappy styling..
    On a side note he also looked into solar pannels for the house and for it to be efficient enough and provide what they need it would cost them 60k all together. 60k,, do you know how long that takes to actually make a return on. Think about your adv electric bill(his was around 150 a month) and how long it takes to reach 60k. In his case it was around 30 years before he broke even..

white
    2002 z28

and also to add, some hybrids dont even help the buyer out to mcuh to see anything, like theres some that get there carge from stop and go traffic, by braking and storing the energy that way, then there some that turn off the gasoline at certain speeds on highway.

i know someone who got a hybrid and they see the same miles caseu they got the one that charges in stop and go traffic, while he drives mostly higheay miles. soo he extra $ spent aint benifit his driving.

but if you pick the right set up i think youll be fine

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by LS1WS6 View Post
    thats exactly what im talking about.. Step dad looked into it since he drives alot and wanted the best gas mileage. Sure the hybrids are better for the mpg but cost a whole hell of alot more with less options let alone crappy styling..
    On a side note he also looked into solar pannels for the house and for it to be efficient enough and provide what they need it would cost them 60k all together. 60k,, do you know how long that takes to actually make a return on. Think about your adv electric bill(his was around 150 a month) and how long it takes to reach 60k. In his case it was around 30 years before he broke even..

Thats why I said, specifically for the car. Couple of Panels would charge the car right up and not the whole house.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    i heard that these hybrids make up the differenece in 10 years of the hybrid option. soo i guess if you car about the enviroment yes do it. but still really new to this
    10 years to break even on a car. how many people these days keep a car for 10 years? very few. and how many are going to buy this thing and not take proper care of it and the vehicle won't last for 10 years even if the people wanted to keep it for 10 years.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Its a great idea, all this electric/hybrid hype. But I wont ever buy one unless they make one that looks as good as my trans am, SOUNDS as good as my trans am, and isnt 7 grand MORE than the average trans am. Until that happens, ill continue to destroy the environment...sorry.

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by FSANE View Post
    Thats why I said, specifically for the car. Couple of Panels would charge the car right up and not the whole house.
    no,no,no i wasn't talking to you you about solar pannels. You happened to post before i made my post. I was replying to greatwhitez28 about how it would take atleast 10 years to actually break even on a hybrid, i then went on to say how my stepdad looked into solar pannels for the house and concluded it would take 30+ years before he seen a return. You just happened to make a post before i could get mine in..

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by LS1WS6 View Post
    no,no,no i wasn't talking to you you about solar pannels. You happened to post before i made my post. I was replying to greatwhitez28 about how it would take atleast 10 years to actually break even on a hybrid, i then went on to say how my stepdad looked into solar pannels for the house and concluded it would take 30+ years before he seen a return. You just happened to make a post before i could get mine in..
    Gotcha

brown/tan
    71 skylark/02 bonneville

looks cool

Thread Information