Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

C7 Z06 VS Hellcat Video

Corvetteforum fanbois are having a meltdown worse than when it got beat by the Viper...

To be fair, here is the blurb from the Z06 driver:

Originally Posted by robe38

Tell those guys spreading rumors that it was actually it was more like 4-5 car lengths.
    We did three rolls between 45-50 mph and he honked on all of them. On each run I spun the tires and went sideways when I smashed the throttle in second gear. That is why he got the jump on me every time. The first time I stopped at around 85 mph and around 100-110mph the next two races. They wanted to find an empty road somewhere for some dig runs but I didn't want to because it would've been even less traction than when I raced him at the strip. The passenger also recorded that run where I beat him by at least 1 sec. If they put up the one where he "beat" me on the highway then I also hope they put the one of when I raced him heads up on the strip.
    I think my traction was so bad even in 2nd because I had taken off the drag radials and put the cold stockers back on for the ride home.
    I had a feeling they were going to be talking about it even after I told them that I lost traction on each run but it is what it is.

Someone make the video....

Last edited by cam02ss; 01-06-2015 at 03:36 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

here's what I read from the z06 owner:

Tell those guys spreading rumors that I have tons of excuses. I was on a different road surface than the dodge because I spun the tires and he didn't.

White
    '10 ZR1

He got beat in a race - hands down. "I spun", "my car went sideways", "I didn't have my aftermarket drag radials on", blah, blah blah. I'm not hearing any of that excuse bullshit.

What a sore loser. Run what ya brung!

Edit: Not even once the Vette started to gain traction did I see it start to reel the Hellcat in.

Edit2: "I didn't want to race from a dig, because it (traction) would've been worse than when I raced him at the strip". That quote is full of win. Both cars were on the same road, with the same traction issues.
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 01-06-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I thought a ZO6 was in this video...?

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Gee, I never saw the Z06 lose traction.

And a side note, maybe just the poor angle but at first glance the still from the video looks more like a Nissan 370Z than a Z06.

red
    95 Z28

He probably did lose traction. The power to weight, and in this case aerodynamics, all point to the ZO6 being the faster car when it can hook. That shouldn't take anything away from the hellcat though, they're impressive cars for sure

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I never saw the 'vette get sideways in any of those races. He got beat, no doubt about it. Let's try a road course, and see who lays the smack down. Anybody can build something for one specific purpose.

Watch it in HD, especially the last run, and you'll see the Hellcat laying tire tracks from the roof camera.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

67hp difference, plus a better diff.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

With the Z06 being almost a thousand pounds lighter (~3500 curb weight vs ~4500 curb weight), you would expect a better showing.

Regardless of supposed traction issues, the Z06 never even began to pull on the Dodge in any of the races.

At best it maintained distance and usually it fell back.

I think maybe either GM is pitching its numbers high or Dodge is pitching theirs low.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Or the corvette owner was granny shifting instead of double clutching like he should.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I wonder how I would fair against either. Truthfully, it looked like a slow take off to me, even for a roll race.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

red
    95 Z28

It was one race. A few ZO6s have dynoed, and they're not under-producing. Once they start hitting the strip in the hands of privateers, I think you'll see the ZO6s laying down faster times

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

According to Motor Trend, who dynoed the Hellcat when it came out, they measured 671 to the wheels, which suggests much more than 707 at the crank. Nevertheless, I'd still have expected the Z06 to smoke the Hellcat. Especially from a 50 mph roll.

I think this summer we'll see the real track/road course results come in. I think it's bullshit that they weren't able to do another big CI high revving motor because of "emissions targets". You kidding me? That's why GM manufactures vehicles like the Volt.

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    According to Motor Trend, who dynoed the Hellcat when it came out, they measured 671 to the wheels, which suggests much more than 707 at the crank. Nevertheless, I'd still have expected the Z06 to smoke the Hellcat. Especially from a 50 mph roll.
    I watched a review on Youtube last night about the Hellcat. From what it said the crank HP is 50 or so above the 707 number. So...757. And to think that it takes 80 HP just to run that blower....

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I suspect it may be even higher than 757... maybe around 790-800... but at the end of the day, I guess the only power that matters is the power that hits the ground. The Hellcat puts more to the road than the Z06 makes at the flywheel.

Pretty much...I know the Z06 was designed with handling and curves in mind. I know it was designed to kill it on road courses. At the end of the day 99% of the Youtube race pulls seen are going to involve straight line highway runs. It hangs with the Viper until 4th gear...until that blower maxes out and the Viper walks away. People tried using the aero excuse with that race until it was pointed out that the Z06 was a stage on aero car, and the Viper was a TA- so in fact had more down force than the Vette.

When the C6 Z06 was introduced, everyone knew it was no joke right off the bat. C7? Hyped up to no end by GM and now everyone is nervously waiting to see what happens over the next few months as results come in.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

another thing to consider here is when you get to those power levels it takes more than your average pedal stomper to drive it......it's no longer as simple as mashing your foot to the floor. Even on 50 mph rolls.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

To the responses I have read all over the internet...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information