Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Buying a truck, opinions wanted.

So I am buying a truck since I need something that will tow my TA in an enclosed trailer. The truck needs to be awd or 4wd and I have it narrowed down to two different trucks. One is a 2007 Sierra Denali with tons of options but only a 8500# towing capacity and the other is a 2012 Silverado with a few less options but with a max towing capacity of 10500# and a 5.3. The Denali has 26000 miles and the Silverado has 46000 miles. The truck will be a daily driver and I may off road occasionally but probably nothing too crazy. I wouldn't be towing on a regular basis either, probably just a few times a year. What would you guys go with between these two choices? Here are the trucks:

1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Whichever is cheaper. 8500 is enough towing capacity unless you want to start pickups and suburbans

Black/ Silver

The 2012 is cheaper but I just keep wondering if I'll miss or want the power the Denali has over the 5.3 down the road. It is also only $2000 cheaper.

red
    95 Z28

Less miles and the 6.2 and a nicer interior... I'll take the Denali. And the douchebag that leveled that Silverado put the front end up too high, looks retarded. Not to mention when you were towing the truck would be waaay down in back, which is shit for towing for several reasons..

And I wouldn't do any real "offroading" in either of those trucks.

Gray/ White

I was expecting the Denali to be less. Hell I'd pay the 2K for the Denali over the 12 then

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Less miles and the 6.2 and a nicer interior... I'll take the Denali. And the douchebag that leveled that Silverado put the front end up too high, looks retarded. Not to mention when you were towing the truck would be waaay down in back, which is shit for towing for several reasons..

And I wouldn't do any real "offroading" in either of those trucks.
    I am pretty sure that is factory height. My work truck is a 12 2500 HD and it sits the same. One thing I would suggest no matter which truck you get, look at the tires closely. I change the work truck tires as soon as I can when I get a new one. I put Yokohoma Geolanders on them. Great tire, tons of plies. Remember, tires and brakes are your only defense on the road.

Black/ Silver

Well I looked at the 2012 and it sucked compared to the Denali. The 2012 is a LTZ with the max towing package but it felt like a brick lol compared to the Denali. The Denali felt much more nimble kind of like a sports car without feeling the road as much, that is the best I can describe it anyway. As for the "off roading" it won't be what most would consider true off roading, more of gravel trails with some bumpy trails with steep declines and indents in the road due to some of my outdoor activities I participate in. Thanks for the opinions guys, I am going to hopefully get the Denali tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-06-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Gray/ White

Just walk in and offer them the same price as that or even less. If its been on the lot for awhile they'll probably take it

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Just walk in and offer them the same price as that or even less. If its been on the lot for awhile they'll probably take it
    The Denali is at carmax and I don't think they haggle but I could still attempt it.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I'd go with a 6.2 over a 5.3 personally. I almost bought one a few years ago and my mom's escalade had the same motor and it was a beast for how heavy it was. Great motor imo.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Isn't the Denali full time AWD? If so that means no locking diffs which does suck in certain places. Not many people go to these places though. But even downhill on a trail won't be as easy. That is also why the tow rating is 2klbs lower than a truck with a 5.3 liter. The 6.2 is a badass engine but it only takes premium. The 5.3 can run any grade and e85.

Personally though if I were buying a truck to tow a enclose trailer/car/tools etc I would be looking for a HD. Both these trucks can tow what you want them too but there will be a lot of kick downing in gears and you could be getting close to their limits. Depending on trailer size it can be anywhere from 2500-4klbs with a 3500lbs car in it and tools.... you are getting close ot that 8500lbs mark.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 07-07-2014 at 05:24 AM.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Isn't the Denali full time AWD? If so that means no locking diffs which does suck in certain places. Not many people go to these places though. But even downhill on a trail won't be as easy. That is also why the tow rating is 2klbs lower than a truck with a 5.3 liter. The 6.2 is a badass engine but it only takes premium. The 5.3 can run any grade and e85.

Personally though if I were buying a truck to tow a enclose trailer/car/tools etc I would be looking for a HD. Both these trucks can tow what you want them too but there will be a lot of kick downing in gears and you could be getting close to their limits. Depending on trailer size it can be anywhere from 2500-4klbs with a 3500lbs car in it and tools.... you are getting close ot that 8500lbs mark.
    Yes it is awd it can tow less because it is an 07 and the 5.3 is a 2012 with the max towing package, the Denali's towing rating was increased in 2009. I have also found a 6.2 Silverado I may look at which has the max towing package as well but is 4wd. I will only tow probably a few times a year and the trails I will go on likely will be fine as I see people and have been with people with awd or even fwd go down them with no issues. The trails really are only considered off road because they are physically off the road but other than that they are really not true off roading.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Yes it is awd it can tow less because it is an 07 and the 5.3 is a 2012 with the max towing package, the Denali's towing rating was increased in 2009. I have also found a 6.2 Silverado I may look at which has the max towing package as well but is 4wd. I will only tow probably a few times a year and the trails I will go on likely will be fine as I see people and have been with people with awd or even fwd go down them with no issues. The trails really are only considered off road because they are physically off the road but other than that they are really not true off roading.
    I dont know about everybody else, but I still prefer a Sierra over a Silverado...I like the way they look over a silverado. Plus, the denali is practically an escalade that was shoved into a Sierra's body so the luxury factor is pretty high with one of those.

I do agree with Zinergy tho...if you are doing a fully enclosed trailer with a car and a tool box inside you really might want to consider a 2500 and up. Braking will play a big factor as well...with the 2500's you are also going to usually have a control box for your trailer brakes from the factory as well.

With that said, you can find 1500 HD's floating around...all the 2500 drive train stuff but has the 6.2 instead of a diesel.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black/ Silver

HDs are not really around in my area I was actually originally looking for one but I have yet to find one. I too prefer the Sierra to the Silverado. The trailers I have been looking at are a max of 7000 fully loaded with my car and everything in it. Others are around 6500 fully loaded. 2500s aren't in the budget and keep in mind guys this will be something I drive every day and I do not want to get a diesel as I feel like it would be a waste when I am not using it to it's potential since I would rarely tow. Now if I towed on a regular basis I surely would get a 2500. I wonder if you could upgrade a 1500 to the HD status as well lol?
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-07-2014 at 06:38 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

The AWD models always have a lower tow rating because the AWD is always in place. My 2002 silverado 1500 is rated to tow 8800lbs with the 5.3 6.5ft bed, 3.73s and tow package. With the 4.10 gear package in 2002 the rating was like 9200 or 9400 can't remember. The Denali got a towing bump to 9200lbs in 09 as you stated. But that is still 1300lbs under the same size 4WD truck with the little 5.3 in it.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 07-07-2014 at 06:42 AM.

White
    '10 ZR1

Between those two choices, I'd take the 2012 over that 2007 every time, 6.2 vs. 5.3 or not.

It's five years newer, it will hold it's value longer, and has a better towing rating, even if it's only used for towing a few times per year.

What are the prices of both? You said there's a $2,000 dollar difference, but didn't say the actual price. If they want anywhere near $30K, I'd spend a few extra bucks and buy a new one.

Arctic White, red/gray

HDs are not really around in my area I was actually originally looking for one but I have yet to find one. I too prefer the Sierra to the Silverado. The trailers I have been looking at are a max of 7000 fully loaded with my car and everything in it. Others are around 6500 fully loaded. 2500s aren't in the budget and keep in mind guys this will be something I drive every day and I do not want to get a diesel as I feel like it would be a waste when I am not using it to it's potential since I would rarely tow. Now if I towed on a regular basis I surely would get a 2500. I wonder if you could upgrade a 1500 to the HD status as well lol?
    So the trailer max gross weight is 7k? So that means trailer weight+vehicle weight+ anything else cannot exceed 7k? I hope these are light trailers.

I am pretty sure the 1500 is a different frame than the 2500 depending on the year. But you can upgrade the rear diff, axles to 8 or 10 lugs, bigger brakes etc.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 07-07-2014 at 07:09 AM.

White
    '10 ZR1

I wonder if you could upgrade a 1500 to the HD status as well lol?
    Yes, you can get a HD in a 1500.

'89 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car (Mom's car now)

'68 Camaro - 572 coming soon

'67 Nova - 406 SBC, PG

'10 ZR1

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Between those two choices, I'd take the 2012 over that 2007 every time, 6.2 vs. 5.3 or not.

It's five years newer, it will hold it's value longer, and has a better towing rating, even if it's only used for towing a few times per year.

What are the prices of both? You said there's a $2,000 dollar difference, but didn't say the actual price. If they want anywhere near $30K, I'd spend a few extra bucks and buy a new one.
    The Denali is $34000 and the 2012 is $31000 the level of trim for these for a new one would be around $45000 to 50000 lol at least in my area.
    Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    I wonder if you could upgrade a 1500 to the HD status as well lol?
    Yes, you can get a HD in a 1500.
    I know you can get a HD in a 1500 I just wasn't sure if what makes a 1500 HD could be swapped over to a standard 1500.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    So the trailer max gross weight is 7k? So that means trailer weight+vehicle weight+ anything else cannot exceed 7k? I hope these are light trailers.

I am pretty sure the 1500 is a different frame than the 2500 depending on the year. But you can upgrade the rear diff, axles to 8 or 10 lugs, bigger brakes etc.
    I'll have to look at the gross vehicle weight ratio but what I was saying that the most weight I would have including the trailer and everything in it would be 7000 but probably closer to 6500 as the trailers I have been looking at are around 2500 to 3000 pounds. I am new to this trailering stuff so please inform me of all of the considerations that need to be taken into account if I am glazing over something.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-07-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information