Thread: buying cars

buying cars

What is the typical procedure for buying a car at a show. Ie you see a car you like but didnt bring $20k in cash. Do not want to leave a deposit with someone i dont know so He could just turn around and sell it for more to someone else and take off with my deposit.any ideas?

red
    95 Z28

You do it like you'd do any other vehicle transaction with a private owner. Seeing it at a show is just a means to take a look at the car and talk to the owner. If you decide you're interested, you set up a time to do a test drive, and then leave them a small deposit to hold the car. Ideally, you already have the financing pre approved, and it's just a matter of taking a trip to the bank, getting the loan finalized and trading money and title. I guess there's always a chance that a seller could screw you and take your deposit and sell it out from under you. A deposit (maybe a couple hundred bucks?) is typically just an insurance to the owner that you're not completely wasting their time. Give them a deposit when you look at the car at their house if possible. If you know where the owner lives it provides some additional incentive for them to not screw you over.

White
    '10 ZR1

Prepare a Bill of Sale that discusses the deposit & deposit details - and that the sale is contingent upon inspection and negotiation of price. Also, if possible, the more signatures on that document, the better if there's not a Notary available. I think that would protect you fairly well - as well as any text messages you may have or could get.

'89 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car (Mom's car now)

'68 Camaro - 572 coming soon

'67 Nova - 406 SBC, PG

'10 ZR1

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

^^

in addition, check with your state registration office. Some states require a Notary for private sells. Also make sure the vehicle taxes are up to date if possible.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

Definitely make sure the tags are up to date for two reasons. 1. It's illegal to drive on outdated tags (if towing the vehicle, nevermind) 2. Good way to get a little better price on the vehicle in question if tags are out of date

Bill of Sale's are a VERY good idea especially on the buyers end.

Don't get caught up in the paypal, personal check, IOU a title nonsense. Do not give anyone money without receiving a title w/o lien or with a lien release immediately. (Unless at a reputable dealer or auction)

Check that title VIN # matches VIN # on vehicle.
    Last edited by OKSS; 02-25-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

All of my vehicles have always been one day transactions, and by dealership. My WS6 is the first car I ever bought private owner. I didn't like the transaction at all, but we were both liable and prepared. If anything, the seller took the biggest risk.

So I looked for a year for a great condition WS6, and I had seen mine on Craigslist numerous times but his crappy pictures of silver looked too blaa. I set it up to check out his car one morning, and a red 02 later that day in Scranton area. I loved his and it was clean, evident that it was cared for. The guy had it for 2yrs and 2,000 miles. Just no time for it. Vin # checked and he brought a carfax report with him. Drove it and it was great. Red car I drove the buy came in the parking lot sideways and cut someone off, bad impression off the bat. Once I got upclose the care the car had was evident. Oh, and he pulled up smoking in it...... So I decided a week or two later that I wanted the silver car. I texted him on and off, and applied for a loan through PSECU ( no year restriction for low interest rate ). Got approved and check in the mail a week later. Set up the date and he said I could come get the car, drive it home on his insurance with his plate, and he had a lien to pay for before I could get a notarized title. Red flags everywhere right? I called PSECU an d explained the situation and they said the check was traceable and basically to cash it it is stated that he is promising to pay the lien and send me the title, the insurance and plate was his own risk. Went down and did the transaction. We got the car in the air for a good visual and everything checked out. Gave him the check, we both came with our own bill of sales, and away we went. The following Monday I got it under my insurance, then a couple weeks later I got a notarized title in the mail. Went and had my notary work completed, received my new plate and mailed him his plate back with tracking # the next day.

Everything worked out safely, he trusted me very much, and I drove it very carefully. But I did not like the transaction and would not want to do it again. The WS6 had my heart the second it pulled up to me at the Bloomsburg PA Sheetz.
    Last edited by DarrenWS6; 03-09-2016 at 04:17 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

red
    95 Z28

He let you leave with his plate and insurance?? What an idiot...
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    He let you leave with his plate and insurance?? What an idiot...
    Honestly I thought the same thing, could not believe it. Especially that kind of car. Asked him a couple times if he was sure even. I can not say I would do that for anyone personally, but I appreciated it and won't forget it. The car booked for $9800 and I paid $11,900 so to be honest I felt no guilt using his plate and insurance for a few days

red
    95 Z28

Toll roads and red light cameras here I come!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Now that's funny....^^

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

i did that once, never gotten as he left my plate on for months. 2 parking tickets
    1999 Trans Am (a4) 2800stall, MACs,cutout,2.73s
    http://images5.theimagehosting.com/469211_5_full.jpg

silver
    2002 ws6

PayPal it as a gift

Thread Information