Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Camera

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Best Camera

Well....I am looking to get a new camera, but trying to stay under $250.00. From what I have seen it looks like Fuji and Nikon are it. I wanna know what some of you guys/gals use and why?

2011 Prius

For that price, I would snap up a used a Canon G9, if your not looking for a DSLR. If you're looking for a DSLR, do you have any lenses?

White

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    For that price, I would snap up a used a Canon G9, if your not looking for a DSLR. If you're looking for a DSLR, do you have any lenses?
    Nah....I don't have any lenses. I got a free Nikon Coolpix 5600 point and shoot from a buddy late last year so I could do some pix for LSX calendar. Before that I shot a lot of pics in high school and forgot how much fun I had doing it and evern then I was using a Kodak point and shoot. This brings me to ask another question....manual or auto, which is better? I have always used auto but it looks like the pros mostly use manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Mieux97 View Post
    Nah....I don't have any lenses. I got a free Nikon Coolpix 5600 point and shoot from a buddy late last year so I could do some pix for LSX calendar. Before that I shot a lot of pics in high school and forgot how much fun I had doing it and evern then I was using a Kodak point and shoot. This brings me to ask another question....manual or auto, which is better? I have always used auto but it looks like the pros mostly use manual.
    You wont get the true use of manual unless you have a DSLR. some point and shoots have manual settings but this just changes the way the sensor reacts to taking pictures. A DSLR has an actual shutter to take a photo. A point and shoot doesnt have an actual shutter and activates the sensor to act like a shutter that just opened. At this point the manual on a point and shoot make the sensor react in the setting you put into the camera. Hope that is not to hard to follow with out making a hugh post out of this.
    99 Z28
    U.S. NAVY
    P-3 ORION
    FLIGHT ENGINEER
    ***IBNFE***
    FLY NAVY

White

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchlock View Post
    You wont get the true use of manual unless you have a DSLR. some point and shoots have manual settings but this just changes the way the sensor reacts to taking pictures. A DSLR has an actual shutter to take a photo. A point and shoot doesnt have an actual shutter and activates the sensor to act like a shutter that just opened. At this point the manual on a point and shoot make the sensor react in the setting you put into the camera. Hope that is not to hard to follow with out making a hugh post out of this.
    Not at all...back in college i had to use a manual Pentax camera for snapping shots and developing my own pics. I guess I'd have to use a manual again to truely appreciate the quality.

2011 Prius

A G9, is considered an Advance Point and shoot. Has most features of a DSLR, along with a bigger sensor but in a size to carry 24/7, but is a brick compared to many Point and Shoot. But since you can adjust, you will learn more about photography and get better pics.

2011 Prius

Oh, and yes. The G9 does shoot RAW.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I like my Canon Powershot S5IS.

Don't get me wrong, you can get very good photos from a point and shoot camera. The power shots by canon are a great example. But to get full control over the picture you are taking a DSLR wins hands down. It goes back to how the sensor is intoduced to the light to take the image. The original question was auto or manual, not what take the best picture or good pictures. If you want full control of you pictures a manual DSLR would be the better choice.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Agreed

Don't get me wrong, you can get very good photos from a point and shoot camera. The power shots by canon are a great example. But to get full control over the picture you are taking a DSLR wins hands down. It goes back to how the sensor is intoduced to the light to take the image. The original question was auto or manual, not what take the best picture or good pictures. If you want full control of you pictures a manual DSLR would be the better choice.

2011 Prius

But his budget is $250, and has no lenses. I agree with everything you said, but for his price range G9 is a great example.

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

i have a canon 10d. i dont know what there going for now. i know there a little dated but i like it. might be something to look into

But his budget is $250, and has no lenses. I agree with everything you said, but for his price range G9 is a great example.
    I agree a new top of the line DSLR is out of his budget range unless you find a used one in good condition. But recomending a camera in that budget range would not give and justice on the question of manual or auto. But it is possible to find a DSLR to start out with in that range if you shop around. Some of your croped sensor DSLR cameras comes with a kit lens, ussally a 18-55 mm range or close to it.

red
    95 Z28

Another vote for Canon as far as great point and shoots. The newer sony point and shoots are great as well.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

I'm using the Canon SX120is - exactly in your price range.
    10megapixel, 3xdigital zoom, plenty of functions.
    small enough that I toss it in the front fork bag on my Harley

here's a picture of the back of one of my watches

front
    Last edited by LimeNine; 02-03-2010 at 03:51 AM.

Black
    2005 GTO

I'm no camera expert but i'm looking at the Samsung HZ15 can be found for right at $250. Couple reasons I really like this camera. One being 10x optical zoom, two being 720p hd video recording with built in hdmi output, three 24mm ultra wide angle lens, four 12.2 megapixels, then also has all your average camera things like image stabilization, face detection 3in lcd ect.

I was origanlly looking at the samsung hz10 which is very similair but is 10mp no hdmi output and a few other small differences but can be found for $190 or so.

2011 Prius

Please note, that large pixel count in a small camera is not a great thing when the sensor is the size of a toothpick, just saying.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I misread the title of this thread twice. At first I thought it said "Best Carrera", then I read it as "Best Camaro"

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

A few more pics from my Canon.

Please note, that large pixel count in a small camera is not a great thing when the sensor is the size of a toothpick, just saying.
    That is very true. to many magapixels on a small sensor can cause "noise" in you photos. It more noticeable at the far end of the zoom and in low light conditions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information