Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BOOSTD

Beginner hand gun

So I will be turning 21 in a few months and I've been tossing arround the idea of getting a hand gun. I use to be a HUGE gun law proponent until a group of researchers concluded that gun laws had no effect on gun related crimes. Since then, Ive tried to be more open minded about guns and those who own them.

Anyhow, I might buy a hand gun for target practice and self defence. I was thinking of getting a Glock 9mm,beretta 9mm or something similar. I am a novice when it comes to types of hand guns so Im not familiar with the calabers and what each type (ammo and gun) is best for. Im mainly interested in a semi-auto hand gun. I would like to get a gun thats dependable, safe, good for target practice and self defence. Finally, I dont need a gun that will blow a hole through an engine block, just one that has good accuracy, reliability, and stopping power. I have experience with rifles and shotguns, so I do know how to handle a gun proporly and wont shoot myself in the foot *knock on wood*.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, if you folks could point me in the direction of some informative websites, that would be great too.

Thanks,
    BOOSTD

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

A few simple things.

Go to a range that lets you test fire pitsols, and find the one that you are most comfortable with. Stick with a qualtiy name brand, Glock, Sig, Colt, Kimber, H&K, ect..

Then choose the caliber based on the most powerful that you feel comfortable with.

If you have zero experience with hand guns or guns altogether, maybe take a safety course.

Also I would start with a revolver. They are cheaper, simpler, and less dangerous.

Maybe a .38.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

when I was in the Marines we got to carry .45 . We went to the hand gun range a few times and I liked it very much. Small hole in BIG hole out.Lots of stoping power

BOOSTD
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyT
    If you have zero experience with hand guns or guns altogether, maybe take a safety course.

Also I would start with a revolver. They are cheaper, simpler, and less dangerous.

Maybe a .38.
    I have taken a safety course before but I will definatly take another one as a refresher.

As for the revolver, I am fairly experienced with firing semi-auto rifles and shot guns so I think I would be comfertable with a semi-auto hand gun. This will probably be the one and only pistol that I buy, so I dont want to have to buy another one because I find that a revolver does not fit my needs.

The new beretta 90 two seems to be a really good gun. It also has lots of safety features, which is nice. Any opinions?

also, whats the order of power with pistols. .38 < 9mm < .40 < .45 < .357 ????

Ok, then get a 1911 is .45.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by BillyT
    Ok, then get a 1911 is .45.
    That's what I prefer, and I carry a Kimber Pro Carry with the aluminum frame..

But he should go try them all out...

Quote Originally Posted by jking
    But he should go try them all out...
    For sure.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by BOOSTD
    I have taken a safety course before but I will definatly take another one as a refresher.

As for the revolver, I am fairly experienced with firing semi-auto rifles and shot guns so I think I would be comfertable with a semi-auto hand gun. This will probably be the one and only pistol that I buy, so I dont want to have to buy another one because I find that a revolver does not fit my needs.

The new beretta 90 two seems to be a really good gun. It also has lots of safety features, which is nice. Any opinions?

also, whats the order of power with pistols. .38 < 9mm < .40 < .45 < .357 ????
    That power order would be fairly accurate, though I'm not sure how the .38 +P rounds stack up against the 9mm. It may be hotter.

But the most important issue in stopping someone is bullet placement.

I prefer a bigger hole. Less room for error.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

1911 guy here too. One of the biggest reasons is ergonomics, and the way a gun "feels" in your hand should be a top priority in how you choose. Everyone is shaped differently so some guns may fit your hand like a glove and others will feel like holding a brick. "Shootability" is what I call this, pick the gun you personally have the most accuracy potential with.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

I like the Browning Hi Power too..

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

I like the Browning Hi Power too..
    Haha, me too. The only 9mm I would ever own. The hammer bite is awful though, definitely needs to have a gunsmith install an extended beavertail. People make such a big deal about the Beretta M92 and how it brought Hicap 9s to popularity in the 80s. The Hi Power did that same thing when it was produced in 1935, the world's first double stack high capacity 9mm pistol. Like everything else he made John Browning was ahead of his time, he actually patented the 7.65mm version of that gun in 1925. America didn't want a "sissy low caliber" gun so instead he sold the rights to FN in Belgium.
    Last edited by 91Z28; 02-26-2006 at 06:15 PM.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 91Z28
    Haha, me too. The only 9mm I would ever own. The hammer bite is awful though, definitely needs to have a gunsmith install an extended beavertail. People make such a big deal about the Beretta M92 and how it brought Hicap 9s to popularity in the 80s. The Hi Power did that same thing when it was produced in 1935, the world's first double stack high capacity 9mm pistol. Like everything else he made John Browning was ahead of his time, he actually patented the 7.65mm version of that gun in 1925. America didn't want a "sissy low caliber" gun so instead he sold the rights to FN in Belgium.
    I wouldn't mind having one in a .40 cal.

My Marine buddy says the Beretta's are piles of garbage.

What did you think?

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Total pile of garbage. The M240B gunners in my unit had them as backup guns and they really have no redeeming features. It is very big, very heavy, not particularly accurate, and prone to malfunction. It does have a pretty foolproof safety I guess. I forgot to mention that the Hi Power is like Europe's 1911, the oldie that refuses to go away and still has a huge following. British SAS still uses it to this day.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 91Z28
    Total pile of garbage. The M240B gunners in my unit had them as backup guns and they really have no redeeming features. It is very big, very heavy, not particularly accurate, and prone to malfunction. It does have a pretty foolproof safety I guess. I forgot to mention that the Hi Power is like Europe's 1911, the oldie that refuses to go away and still has a huge following. British SAS still uses it to this day.

I never knew that about the SAS. That's pretty cool.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

I never knew that about the SAS. That's pretty cool.
    Of all the foreign military units I've met or worked with, they were by far and away the coolest/most bad ass.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

CZ40P .40 S&W
    Para Ordnance P12-45
    Sig Sauer P220

I had an Italian beretta,its not heavy and I thought it was very good quality.I also carried a .45 auto in the marines and I'm a colt guy.I would go springfield armory for a good entry level [cost]1911 and step up later to a colt.Always shot for the pelvis,break it and down they go no matter how hopped up or determined.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

My first gun was an M-16 lol.

A rubber band and a rock is good for beginners, it just doesent have the range!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

9's are for women.... a .40 is a good all around bullet. A old guy at work that lives for guns said a 135 grain Corbon .40 round packs the punch of a .357 because of the high velocity...dunno if it's true though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information