Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bees!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Bees!

We have some sort of nasty small type of bee (not honey bees) that have built a nest in the eaves at the southeast corner of our house. They are entering through a small gap at the top of the corner trim and I am not exactly sure where they are at. Tonight, I hosed everything down with wasp killer and then in turn taped two foggers to the end of a long broom handle and shoved them up under the eaves. We had a similar issue several years ago on a front dormer that we had to deal with. In that case, I was able to more easily locate the nest and attacked it from the attic. Not sure if they are going to get the message that they are not welcome. I do not have easy access to where they are most likely located absent cutting a hole in the drywall, or attempting to pull down a section of soffit. Not sure how exactly I would be able to do that without getting swarmed... unless we get a sudden freeze in our area.

Any suggestions? Oh, and "killing them with fire" isn't really a viable option.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

A pic of the area might be helpfull.

LOL @ killing with fire..

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Waiting for a night below 60 might help. They get slow when it's chilly out.

07 Chevy Corvette
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Use a dusting agent like seven dust. It will get on them when coming out of the hole or in the hole

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    2004 Pontiac GTO
    2007 Chevy Corvette

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Too dark for pics now...

Not sure how I would get the dust stuff up there. It's at least 12-14' off the ground and inside a small gap. I don't know how much of the fogger actually made it in as the holes in the soffit are pretty small. Kept the neighbors entertained with my attempt though.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 08-02-2012 at 05:15 PM.

07 Chevy Corvette
    2004 Pontiac GTO

I know there is a dust stick i believe it reaches up to 20 foot. I am not sure how much they are. We used them when i worked for terminix pest control. You might be able to find one at home depot or lowes

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Yeah, the sooner the better. They gotta go, especially if they're the wood boring type. Once they're inside the walls the fun really starts.
    I've gotta tell you a true story about pest control. My parents had an old stucco colonial that had more pest entrance holes than a Swiss cheese. So a squirrel gets inside the hallway staircase and seems very happy making a little condo for the winter. It's running up and down making all kinds of noises and my father fears it will chew the wiring. He gets so pissed off that he locates the exact spot where it is and fires a '22 long rifle through the wall and nails the sucker. Nice going Pop. What he didn't figure on was that as the body started decomposing the smell was unbearable and short of tearing an old plaster wall apart they had to wait the decomposing out. That was a long winter......................................

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good idea. We have a Lowe's down the road I can stop next week at and see what they offer.

That's pretty impressive that he nailed it on the first try. The bullet go through the roof too?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Get Spaz to fart in your attic.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Good idea. We have a Lowe's down the road I can stop next week at and see what they offer.

That's pretty impressive that he nailed it on the first try. The bullet go through the roof too?
    No, it was a wall lining a staircase on one side. I'm guessing a .22 LR would have stopped once it went through the wall and hit old "Rocky the Squirrel". Yeah, my father was one hell of a shot. Grew up in South Dakota where you could hunt with an Army tank.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    Yeah, the sooner the better. They gotta go, especially if they're the wood boring type. Once they're inside the walls the fun really starts.
    I've gotta tell you a true story about pest control. My parents had an old stucco colonial that had more pest entrance holes than a Swiss cheese. So a squirrel gets inside the hallway staircase and seems very happy making a little condo for the winter. It's running up and down making all kinds of noises and my father fears it will chew the wiring. He gets so pissed off that he locates the exact spot where it is and fires a '22 long rifle through the wall and nails the sucker. Nice going Pop. What he didn't figure on was that as the body started decomposing the smell was unbearable and short of tearing an old plaster wall apart they had to wait the decomposing out. That was a long winter......................................

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

About 7-8 years ago, my parents had yellow jackets/wasps whatever you want to call them build one of their nests in the attic. They got between the insulation and drywall in their closet, and since they leak or piss or whatever bees do, the drywall became soft and moist. They bored a bee-size hole through the drywall into the closet. One morning when they were heading out for a motorcycle ride, my mother went into her bee-filled closet and freaked. Ended up bombing the closet and entire bedroom. Killed hundreds of bees. They were everywhere. Ended up the nest was about 2' long and the full width 16". Crazy what those industrious little fuckers will do in a short amount of time. We ended up calling an exterminator and for about 3 years he came to the house and sprayed for bees and baited mice. He's not been back in the last 5-6 years and we've not had any problems with either, since.

I thought you were going to talk to us about sex.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I think your safe unless these try moving in.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    I thought you were going to talk to us about sex.

Derek was soon getting married and was quite nervous about having sex for the first time. He finally worked up the courage to ask his older brother what to do on his honeymoon. His brother replied, "That's easy, just take the hardest thing you can find and stick it where she pees." Now confident with this information, Derek proceeds with his nuptials and whisks his bride off to his parents' cabin in Potter County for their honeymoon. That night, Derek is laying in bed eagerly waiting as his wife walks out of the bathroom in a sheer nightie. She slows as she sees his eyes upon her and enticingly says, "Are you ready for our first night together?" Unable to contain his excitement, Derek nods, leaps from the bed and rushes past his surprised wife to the closet. There, he grabs his father's bowling ball runs to the bathroom and throws it in the toilet!

Sounds like you need some serious help is that department.

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I think your safe unless these try moving in.

Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

Got one of them Mopar thingies on the lift right now. Friend is getting it ready for the Woodward Dream Cruise.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yellow jackets will start to nest up this time of year but they usually prefer the ground....you usually find them mowing your last time of the season and get your ass tore up. They will nest up in other areas though. Pretty aggressive bee really if you jack around with a nest. Last couple times I've been stung by a bee it's been late in the year and a damn yellow jacket. Best time to get them is at night. Go to Lowes and you'll find all kinds of stuff that will get the job done. I would probably still take down that soffit once you get them killed and get that nest out of there.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeah, yellow jackets can be brutal. We have a bunch that have decided to make their home underground out back in the dirt next to and under the concrete by our pool. Little mounds of dirt keep popping up and I just keep flooding them.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Chloe got into a nest of them a couple years ago and they lit her ass up. She got at least 3 in the head because that's how many were still in her hair when I got to her. Painful sting to and them little bastards will sting you over and over. They're actually a wasp and not a bee so they don't die when they sting like a bee does. I got stung in the hand twice, the neck, and my lower lip 2 years ago getting the camper ready to go camping. They had a nest in the ground by the camper and evidently I got too close for their liking.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I've been lucky and have never been attacked by a bunch of them. There are always a few flying around the pool and the filter always has a bunch of them in there when Phil cleans it. I skim a few off every day. I've only been stung a couple of times, but it definitely hurts. Once one got between me and a raft and it stung my the back of my upper thigh. It hurt for hours

I was attacked when I was a kid. I thought I could out run them but they fly pretty damn fast,,,,,I lost They lit me up pretty good. We had Bore Bees, Wasps and just regular ole bees in Ohio. I didn't like any of them growing up.
    Out here in AZ they seem to be more aggressive. If you get anywhere near the nest they are just friggin mean. They are on the news down in the valley quite a bit,,,,they killed a couple of good size dogs a few months ago that went digging at the nest. Just nasty insects.

A good friend of mine in Ohio (about 2002-2003) was walking out to get the mail (I think he was about 40 years old at the time) and was stung by one bee. Killed him 1/2 hour later. He was evidently allergic to bee's and didn't even know it. First time he had ever been stung. I was just shocked that something like that could happen to such a cool guy.

On another note my wifes father used to raise bees in the back yard for the honey, he had several hives out there. Wouldn't catch me near that stuff

Anyway, hate to hear it Jeff, get rid of those boogers anyway you can. Our house in Ohio was made of Ceder, and we always had problems with the bore bees chewing perfect holes about the size of a dime all over the house and making noise inside the walls. I got so sick of dealing with it I eventually just vinyl sided the entire house I loved the look of a ceder house but I hated the bore bees more so vinyl won me over.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-03-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information