its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

anyone have the samsung galaxy s2?

im due for upgrade on the 1st and i can get the galaxy s2 for free....anyone have it and if so what are the goods and bads? seems like every android phone ive had (4 of them) have always had battery issues, freezing, automatically shutting off, screen not responding..ive been considering going back to iphone because i never had a problem with those....i like the android op system better than iphone, but im to the point where id rather have a perfectly good working phone over one that does cooler shit for free....

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Sold it after 8 months. Too many issues. Too slow, only 4g. Crap battery life.

I have the LG Optimus G, downloads/uploads 10x faster, screen response much faster. Matched to my buddies iphone 5, speeds are identical. just his screen is alot smaller. He does get better battery life though.

The S2 is free because it's crap.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 12-30-2012 at 05:36 PM.

pewter
    99 trans am

is your carrier sprint? battery life is very important to me so i guess this phone may be out...might have to opt for the 4s..

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Ive had the SII since January 2012, no real problems with mine until recently, after it suffered a few falls without a case, now some apps crash once in awhile. but overall its the favorite phone i've had in a LONG time.

I like having an SD card
    Battery life is good.
    The newest update is nice...4.0.3 Ice cream sandwich
    I like the advantages of android in general

no real cons.

that being said, if i were to get a phone TODAY. Id get the SIII, its very similar to the SII, just more refined

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

I went from having the S1 to having the S3. I skipped the S2 because the S3 was only a little more money and the technology is 10x better. It's much faster, great battery life, great screen etc. If you can pick the S3 up for a decent price I would do that instead.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have had zero issues in a year. Just remember to shut down your applications. They get left open to speed things up, and that is what eats the battery.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

I have the S2.

As soon as my contract expires I'll be done with Android and back to an iPhone that doesn't randomly reboot, eat battery, respond slowly, lose playlists that magically reappear later, etc...

I had an iPhone for years with no issues and decided to try an Android phone myself since it was absolutely impossible to find an unbiased review of either Android or an iPhone. I got the S2 because at the time all the websites gave it slack-jawed drooling reviews and it was considered the best Android phone. Maybe the new ones are better. I will never find out.

After trying it, I can't wait to climb back into the walled garden of IOS. I wouldn't be so disgusted with Android phones if the carriers would actually update them promptly. But the only way to get prompt updates is to either root it and run custom ROMs (with their own issues) or get a Nexus phone which doesn't have expandable memory. If I'm going to be stuck with no memory expansion I'll just get an iPhone.

I will say that I do like Jelly Bean FAR better than ICS. JB finally comes closer to the polish and stability of IOS. I have 2 Android tablets and 2 iPads so have a good basis for comparison.

Even with JB though, the iPad battery life blows away the JB tablets.

Bottom line, the S2 is free and IMHO I wouldn't pay half that. Yes, half of free is still too much.

Also, my carrier is AT&T, which more than likely is a big part of the reason my S2 sucks so bad. I get a big discount with AT&T is the only reason I'm tied to that horse.

Blog Entries

black an red
    00 z28 and 00 corvette

I just bought an s3 at Wal-Mart for 100.00 bucks with my upgrade,,,, im on Verizon an the kicker is even with the upgrade at the Verizon store the same phone is 200.00 so I saved 100, but I love this phone

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    im due for upgrade on the 1st and i can get the galaxy s2 for free....anyone have it and if so what are the goods and bads? seems like every android phone ive had (4 of them) have always had battery issues, freezing, automatically shutting off, screen not responding..ive been considering going back to iphone because i never had a problem with those....i like the android op system better than iphone, but im to the point where id rather have a perfectly good working phone over one that does cooler shit for free....
    Wow...i've never had so much as a stutter on any of my personal android phones. I manage my entire company's fleet of android and apple phones. The ONLY android phone that has ever been a problem is the Droid Bionic...it's a known buggy phone. But we have Droid X, X2, Razor, Razor Maxx, and Galaxy S3/Note II, and they have been flawless. The iPhone 4 was a pain in the ass with it's antenna issues, and now our iPhone 5s' screens are crapping out (had to warranty 3 out of 5 of the 5's that we have so far).

My wife has the Galaxy S2, and other than in battery life, it's been perfect. She uses her phone VERY heavily, and has to charge it at least twice a day. But she also understands thats just the way it is. She had the extended battery (3200mah) in her previous Droid X2 and THAT wouldn't even make it a full day. Meanwhile the standard batteries in my Evo 4G (1600mah) and Evo LTE (2050mah) easily last me two days.

Personally, even though i'm partial to HTC phones based on my own experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Galaxy series to anyone. The S3 is arguably the best phone you can buy.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I have had my Galaxy S3 since August and have had zero issues with it. This phone is amazing. Yeah the battery life sucks, but for someone that is on it non stop, it happens. My daughter has an iphone 4 and her battery drains just as much as my S3 and she is always complaining about something.

You should just go to the store of your service provider and play with both of them. Also there is not an ls1.com app for the iphone.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Owning a phone for a short period of time, or playing with one for a few minutes is not going to give you any idea of what problems it will encounter after long-term usage.

All newer smart phones have shitty battery life, that comes with the territory of owning a smart phone. If you want good battery life, buy a cheap flip phone or a BlackBerry. My battery, even after 1.5 years of usage out of it, will last an entire day if I am not using the phone constantly. A major reason why battery life is minimal has a lot to do with how you have your phone set-up; specifically your screen brightness and making sure apps are not running in the background.

I have had the DROID Bionic for 1.5 years now, and other than my issue with the latest update to ICS (more of a Motorola issue than Android), it has been a great phone, and the Bionic is probably one of the worst Android-based phones in the mix. With that said, I'll be staying with an Android phone with my next upgrade.

My brother just recently acquired an iPhone5 after owning several Android phones and he already hates it. Uploading songs was a major PITA, among many other things of owning an iPhone. Personally, I'm not sure why so many people are so closely tied to Apple. Their phones are outdated by leaps and bounds compared to Android. I have a friend raving how he could now surf the net while talking on the phone. Congrats man, I was able to do that 2 years ago.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

S2 dominates...one if the best phones I've had. You wont regret it.

Blog Entries

black an red
    00 z28 and 00 corvette

There's alot of great phones on the droid line but a s2 for free? Heck yea, y not

pewter
    99 trans am

after reading these reviews and comparisons between the s2 and the iphone, ill probably go with the s2...hopefully i wont have the issues that ive had with android in the past.....althought i WOULD love to be able to play the doorslammers drag racing game that is currently only available on apple.....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have a Drag Racing app downloaded on my DROID that is pretty fun. Right now I am addicted to Temple Run.

pewter
    99 trans am

i used to play the drag racing game on android, then i switched phones and lost all my progress....so lately ive been playing zombie frontier...

Thread Information