Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Any motorcycle owners here?

I'm about to buy a 2006 Suzuki Katana 600 so I was curious as to how many bike owners we have here. What type of bike do you own, make and year, model? Your opinion's on the bike's you've owned? I'm looking for a sportbike but nothing as fast as a GSX-R, I think the Katana fits what I want as far as an all around good motorcycle. I've been looking at the Honda 599 being it's a 600cc open faring plain motorcycle that's still fast and sporty but for $7399.00 I think the Katana has it beat. Everyone here at work owns bikes and my Uncle and a few friends do as well so maybe it's time for me to find a new toy that is cheaper on the wallet while being faster than my camaro.

1970 Fbody

I posted this in your other thread:

Have you really looked into the bikes. The Katana is old school technology, slow and cumbersome in handling for a 600. Not trying to talk you out of it but there are many other bikes for similar money that blow it away. The Suzuki SV650 with a full faring kit can be had for about the same price. It is an awesome bike and is one of the best handling bikes out there. Like stated, just giving opinions, not trying to talk you out of the Katana.

edit: here is a pic of a friends with the faring kit

Last edited by nosfed; 09-22-2006 at 06:34 AM.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

may not much faster than the camaro as you think

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

had a honda VFR800.
    looking into a used ZX12 or a zx14
    what's your bike riding experience ?

Senior Member transamprincess98's Avatar
    CT6

I own one, but have yet to ride it so I'm not a help at all.
    Mine still needs new ignition, carbs rebuilt, front brakes, master cylinder for the clutch and new tires. I need a license too

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

I've never owned a motorcycle other than a dirtbike so I have limited experience on one which is why I don't want a GSX-R or CBR 600. I've ridden my dad's Katana a few times and felt very comfortable on the bike, it had plenty of power in my opinion, enough to get yourself in trouble fairly quick. I'm not very tall either so anything bigger than a 600cc motorcycle is pushing it with me. Everyone at work has cruisers such as Harley's, Suzuki Boulevard's and Yamaha 750's. I'm not a V-Twin cruiser fan though, I love cornering and going through the gears on a crotchrocket with the inline four.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

BTW, Nosfed, that SV 650 looks awesome with the faring kit on. It that a factory option or aftermarket? I might go back today and look at one, they had several in stock. Thanks

The new addition to our garage: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28849

Senior Member transamprincess98's Avatar
    CT6

I'm only 5'6 and the 600cc sport bikes are actually less comfy then some of the larger CCs. The bigger motors seem to lower the bike

The worst I have been on was the Honda 600 CBR it seems taller then the others. I'm quite partial to Ninjas I was easily able to handle the bike and could almost put both feet flat

Edit: I currently have a Honda Knight Hawk 650, It's an old sport bike shaft drive and it's perfect height for me

Try it at 5'3!

1970 Fbody

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1 View Post
    BTW, Nosfed, that SV 650 looks awesome with the faring kit on. It that a factory option or aftermarket? I might go back today and look at one, they had several in stock. Thanks
    It is a factory add on. It comes already painted and ready to put on for $350-$400. It completely makes the bike. I rode it and you should see if you can get a test ride, you will be amazed. That bike will blow away any 600 in handling. It isn't as powerful overall but as an overall bike it is outstanding.

1970 Fbody

Quote Originally Posted by transamprincess98 View Post
    I'm only 5'6 and the 600cc sport bikes are actually less comfy then some of the larger CCs. The bigger motors seem to lower the bike

The worst I have been on was the Honda 600 CBR it seems taller then the others. I'm quite partial to Ninjas I was easily able to handle the bike and could almost put both feet flat

Edit: I currently have a Honda Knight Hawk 650, It's an old sport bike shaft drive and it's perfect height for me
    You can very easily change the dogbones and have the bike lowered and slammed to the ground. That is what I did on my GSXR 1000 when I had it.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

not knowing how old you are, i.e. 18 v.s. 25, etc.. or your riding experience, i'd say you want to go with a 750. it's like buying your first car ever, and it's the first time you've ever driven, and its a 3rd gen with a 305, you get used to it in a few weeks, and a few months later it's boring. it could be faster, bla bla bla... i'd def say go with a gsxr 750. they look better, they handle better, the whole 9. it's like getting the LS1 instead of the V6 model.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

I can sit flatfooted on the Katana but I actually feel a little better on the Honda 599 but once the shocks are broken in on the Suzuki it'll sit right where I need it. I'm 5' 10 and weigh around 165lbs so I sure ain't no big guy but most 600cc bikes I've looked at are low enough for me to sit level.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sgt0704 View Post
    not knowing how old you are, i.e. 18 v.s. 25, etc.. or your riding experience, i'd say you want to go with a 750. it's like buying your first car ever, and it's the first time you've ever driven, and its a 3rd gen with a 305, you get used to it in a few weeks, and a few months later it's boring. it could be faster, bla bla bla... i'd def say go with a gsxr 750. they look better, they handle better, the whole 9. it's like getting the LS1 instead of the V6 model.
    I'm 23 years old and have very limited riding experience, mostly dirtbike riding which is completely different from running 70mph down the highway with a bunch of crazy drivers. I don't need all that power to do a 100mph wheelie, Good Lord I'd kill myself! A 600cc bike will be plenty for me to ride and have fun on. Just like my car, I don't care about running Nitrous or any kind of power adder because 350 RWHP is plenty for me to play with without getting in too much trouble. I couldn't stand ridng a Gixxer 750 400 miles to Myrtle beach either.

1970 Fbody

If it is his first bike then the Katana is a great choice and even an older one is better as most people will drop it the first year anyway. And the statement about the ls1 vs the v6 is totally wrong. A new 600 will stick with a new 750 from a launch to over 120 mph with the same rider on them. Most people do not understand that the horsepower difference is not that much and the extra couple pounds of weight negate that horsepower. After 120 is really when the bigger cc bikes shine.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by nosfed View Post
    If it is his first bike then the Katana is a great choice and even an older one is better as most people will drop it the first year anyway. And the statement about the ls1 vs the v6 is totally wrong. A new 600 will stick with a new 750 from a launch to over 120 mph with the same rider on them. Most people do not understand that the horsepower difference is not that much and the extra couple pounds of weight negate that horsepower. After 120 is really when the bigger cc bikes shine.
    the 600's are also smaller bikes. i.e. not really the same size over all. i haven't dropped my bike. but i also had a buddy die on a bike, so i guess i don't do as much stupid shit like most people do. I still say R-750.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

How is a 600 a smaller bike? I sat on both a GSX-R 600 and 750, other than the motor they seemed the same to me. I'll still stick with the 600's, like I said, I'm not interested in racing a motorcycle. I want all around performance and comfort, a Gixxer is not comfortable for a long trip.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    may not much faster than the camaro as you think
    Maybe, but I'm sure it feels a whole lot faster, I've never ridden a motorcycle but 20mph on a mountain bike feels way faster than 20 in the Camaro.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

it's like buying your first car ever, and it's the first time you've ever driven, and its a 3rd gen with a 305, you get used to it in a few weeks, and a few months later it's boring. it could be faster, bla bla bla...
    Thats so true... but now that I only use it one or twice a week, it seems faster than when I drove it everyday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information