Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Another DD suggestions thread

So I might have to get another DD type vehicle here pretty soon. Right now I currently have 3 vehicles being a '02 Avalanche, '12 Cruze, and '02 Trans Am. Obviously the Trans Am will not leave but the Avalanche might have to go I am currently driving the Cruze as the DD but my wife might start working soon and I'll have to give up the Cruze and start DD'ing the Avalanche again. Well she ain't the best gas saver and driving 40 miles a day, I am going to need something a bit (a alot) more fuel friendly.

My question is what vehicle would you guys suggest? I would prefer it to be manual and a bit fun, with a budget of around 8-9k since I do not want to have another car payment. I would like to keep at 03 and newer with no more than 100k. A list of some cars that I've seen online are:

07ish Cobalt SS: Only ones I've seen are pretty beat maybe because most are owned by HS kids, except for one.
    04ish VW GTI: I liked the interior and I really like the hatchback idea, been wanting a wagon looking type vehicle for a while now but also hard to find
    SRT4 Neon: NO. While it might be fun well it is still a Neon and I do not like the interior at all.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Once again, Acura RSX.

Fun, economical, luxurious, and rock-solid reliable.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Once again, Acura RSX.

Fun, economical, luxurious, and rock-solid reliable.
    I did see a couple of these, even a Type-S that was nice and clean but miles were at 110kish. Not ruling it out but it is definitely an option!

I would trust an RSX with 110k more than a Cobalt with 40k.

And drive a Type S. They are a hoot.

The only glaring flaw I have with the RSX is the lack of a center armrest, easily remedied with an aftermarket unit.

bright red
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

What's wrong with a regular cobalt coupe, or even the sedan instead of the SS?
    Those are pretty cheap nowadays, especially the sedan

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Subaru Legacy GT or WRX, STi? Forester and Outback XTs are fun as well

White
    '10 ZR1

If you could swing it - I think I'd go after a new Dodge Dart! (never thought I'd say that) I think they're pretty cool, and get 30+ mpg.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Those are pretty much all above 8-9k for the newer gens with the turbos. The WRX is the only one that you wil lfind with around 100k miles for 8k.

The VW the OP posted is a cool thought except for the cost to own the care. VWs are not cheap to repair and they have many issues.

My vote would be for a Acura TL, the 2003 TL-S can be had in manual and you can get them as cheap as 5-6k. For 8-9k you could get a clean one with around 100k miles or less and it will pull on GTPs. You can also find the 2004-2006 TL for 9k as well but they will probably have 150-250k miles on them.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I have an 09 cobalt ss turbo, and I LOVE IT! If you can keep your foot off the go pedal, you can get 28-33 mpg. Not bad for a car making 270+ hp. I have owned nothing but Chevy's my whole life, so iam kinda partial to them. I have also had 5 cavilers and never had any issue's with any of them. They are pretty cheap to fix and very reliable. Just my 2 cents.

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Those are pretty much all above 8-9k for the newer gens with the turbos. The WRX is the only one that you wil lfind with around 100k miles for 8k.

The VW the OP posted is a cool thought except for the cost to own the care. VWs are not cheap to repair and they have many issues.

My vote would be for a Acura TL, the 2003 TL-S can be had in manual and you can get them as cheap as 5-6k. For 8-9k you could get a clean one with around 100k miles or less and it will pull on GTPs. You can also find the 2004-2006 TL for 9k as well but they will probably have 150-250k miles on them.
    Never had a TL pull on mine when it was either modified or stock. Forgot about they had a manual option

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I had a 2001 GTP and my friends parents had a 2004 comp g(or whatever it was) GTP. Our buddies stock 2003 TL-S would steadily pull both from about 40mph on. Would usually get him off the line if it hooked right and then he would steadily pull. He was good at driving the TL but it was also a faster car. The 03 TL-S has run as fast as 14.3 in the quarter mile with a manual and a good driver but I think the normal is 14.6-14.9. My best time in my stock GTP was a 14.7 I wanna say.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    If you could swing it - I think I'd go after a new Dodge Dart! (never thought I'd say that) I think they're pretty cool, and get 30+ mpg.
    The Dart has made a comeback huh? I did not know that

Gray/ White

Meh its a rebadged Alpha Romeo...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Meh its a rebadged Alpha Romeo...
    I loved my little Alfa Romeo. Fun car

But I never heard of ANYONE who ever owned an Alfa Romeo or Fiat wanting another one.

But then some people seem to love self-abuse as the continuing popularity of Madonna music evidences.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    I would trust an RSX with 110k more than a Cobalt with 40k.

And drive a Type S. They are a hoot.

The only glaring flaw I have with the RSX is the lack of a center armrest, easily remedied with an aftermarket unit.
    Dammit! I hate not having an armrest good thing you can get an aftermarket one. Have you had a bad experience with a Cobalt?

Quote Originally Posted by Valor X View Post
    What's wrong with a regular cobalt coupe, or even the sedan instead of the SS?
    Those are pretty cheap nowadays, especially the sedan
    Nothing wrong with one, if I can't find an SS for a good price and good condition then I would not mind getting a regular one if the right one comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Can one of these be had for 9k? I would love to get another new car but I do not want two car payments since I just got the Cruze in December

I would LOVE a wrx or STI but they can't be found for 9k even 10kish, and honestly I would feel iffy about jumping into a high mile Subaru since I know crap to nothing about those boxer engines
    Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Can't do that, but if I could then I would just get another Cruze. I love that little car and like the looks better than the Dart
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post

Good point on the VW, I guess if I did get one it would have to be a low miles one. The one I saw had 60k!! The TL is a good idea, a friend owns one and it is somewhat of a fancy car. I will keep an eye out for those
    Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    I have an 09 cobalt ss turbo, and I LOVE IT! If you can keep your foot off the go pedal, you can get 28-33 mpg. Not bad for a car making 270+ hp. I have owned nothing but Chevy's my whole life, so iam kinda partial to them. I have also had 5 cavilers and never had any issue's with any of them. They are pretty cheap to fix and very reliable. Just my 2 cents.
    Out of all the Cobalts that I've seen none of them have been turbos! What year did that start? 08 or 09? I think that's probably my top choice right now. I wouldn't even mind it being a regular one, being a Chevy I would think it would also be cheaper to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    The Dart has made a comeback huh? I did not know that
    Sadly it did, but it did a comeback like the Charger did
    Last edited by silverWS6; 02-12-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Gray/ White

Darts always had a 4 door option and were econo boxes back in the day.
    Boxers are nothing to worry about. Just maintain them and they'll keep on kicking. Hell neglect them and keep kicking

red
    95 Z28

A turbo cobalt is out of your price range by a good bit. And you dont want a higher mileage subaru. The boxer engine might be ok (not always, they have oil burning issues, fuel leak issues, etc etc), but everything else will fall apart. Like most all wheel drive cars, they blow through tires, brakes, and driveline components.

Gray/ White

Tire wear can be solved with a simple alignment trick and not buying the oe tires again. Some of fhe neglected ones can have oil consumption as they age. I've done more driveline work on Civics than Subarus in the 12 years I've been wrenching professionally. Have yet to see any with a fuel leak either

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information