Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Amsoil once a year oil change?

Change Your Oil Once a Year

Do you think it is that good and will last once a year?

Also what filter do you recommend? Is there anything that will hold up a entire year?

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Even if I could, I wouldn't change it just once a year. You could have some serious internal issues and never know it because you'd never see the oil.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

A friend of mine used Amsoil and he went 9k miles between oil changes but he changed to a new filter every 3k miles. He had the oil inspected every oil change. He had a 99 Camaro SS that he bought new. He started running N2O (wet) as soon as it was broke in and it went 140k miles before it lifted a head gasket (bottom end was OK). He ran it until it had 180k miles on it and then sold it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I only change my oil once a year on my Camaro, but I am not putting anywhere near 25K miles on it a year lol. More like 1500-2000 miles. Where's the Amsoil rep around here when you need him to chime in?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've always been opposed to these extended oil change intervals on daily driven cars. I have no doubt that the quality of oil is much better than it used to be and the oil itself can handle it. What's always been my concern is the amount of dirt in the oil. You only have to look as far as the air filter shoot outs to see that every air filter out there lets at least some dirt into the engine. After a year you're basically pumping liquid sand paper through the bearings. Changing the oil filter goes a long way towards helping that but you know the majority of people aren't going to swap out that oil filter like they should.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I hate the idea based on condensation build up alone personally. Every 5-6k is fine and not a huge cost in the grand scheme of things

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'll go 7,500 miles max on a full synthetic oil change and top of the line oil filter in our DD's. None of the play cars see that many miles, so they get a "once a year" oil change.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I kinda fall in line with Orion's thinking. I've used synthetic oil that was rated for 7500 miles, at 3000-3500 I start checking the oil every 1000 mile intervals after that. I usually have to change the oil around 5000 miles because the oil starts to look dirty. So that's when I do a oil change. Very rare has it gone to the 7500 miles it claims to be good to.

I've also used AMSOIL in the 90's in my 84' Chevy truck. It ran very well and never had an issue. At that time they would send a sample bottle that you would send in and they would print off an oil analysis (for free) and tell you when to do a oil change.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 02-06-2015 at 07:39 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I run penzoil platinum in my wife's car and let it go extended miles between changes. It bothers me to do that but doing her oil ever 3000 miles just doesn't make sense because of the miles she puts on it......I would be doing oil every month on it just about. I just stay on top of the filters. It does bother me though. My truck doesn't get many miles put on it in general so time wise I can do it every 3000. During the winter it doesn't get driven much at all so I do the oil spring, mid summer, and fall.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Adding to this - our cars see lots of highway and/or distance miles and not much short tripping (which allows moisture and other snot to build up in the crankcase). But for this, I would probably run a shorter oil change interval.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ^^ Adding to this - our cars see lots of highway and/or distance miles and not much short tripping (which allows moisture and other snot to build up in the crankcase). But for this, I would probably run a shorter oil change interval.
    that's kind of the boat we're in with my wife's car. She drives about 65 miles each way to work and it's pretty much all freeway miles. If I had to pick a situation where you extended the change intervals that would be it. No dirt/gravel roads and almost all 65 mph highway miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Same reason I change ours every 5-6 the Jeep is every 3 aka about once a year

Thread Information