Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1995 Firebird

Am I being a cheapskate?

Ok here is the situation. I'm suppose to be one of the groomsmen for my buddy's wedding in early Nov. I have known him for a long time, but as of lately the past few months we really haven't hung out that much due to different interests and schedules.

Well he calls me today and asks if I have went to go get my tux fitted yet, and I told him I was going to wait till late Oct since as I am still actively losing weight/etc and wanted to wait till it was closer to the date. Well he told me that the rental place said (and I called to confirm) that if I don't pay before the 7th of Oct. it will jump from $160+ (wtf!) to $200+ for everything tux/shoes/shirt/etc and that whatever size I am is what I have to stick with and couldn't change if I were different before the date so.

I'm a broke ass college student, not an excuse that all college students are broke, but I'm trying stay afloat with all my expenses and trying to even pay my student loan off asap. So $200 for a day, and given the circumstances that I feel like i'm just a "backburner" friend. I almost feel better placed in the crowd than a groomsmen. I have a feeling I'm being a cheapskate and a pos friend, but figured I would ask the great guys/girls of ls1.com lol

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

I'd wear this:

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Cheapskate vote here.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Cheapskate vote here.
    Yeah even thinking after posting this....I'm leaning towards going still and not being a cheapskate, as even though we haven't been friends as of lately it seems we have been for a long time. I just still hate the concept of renting and essentially throwing my $ out the window...but then again its the only time he will get married (hopefully) so yeah...I feel like a douche for thinking about & posting this lol.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

If you really don't have the money, then... you don't have the money. It's not like you're his best man or anything.

I don't know. I think big weddings are a colossal waste of money myself.

But, only you know how much his friendship means to you. You'll have to go on that.

Red
    2001 ws6

get ur tux from a different place, u can rent a tux shoes nd all for around 130

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Stop being a puss and ask to be a guest...it's free and you get to sit on your ass at the funeral.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

My prom tux cost more than $200.

He picked you as a groomsman for a reason. Pay the money and be there for him during this milestone in his life.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just don't get him a gift

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I thought it was fuckin' rediculous that I had to pay for my own tux when I was the bestman in a friends wedding. Same situation as you though. We hung out, but we weren't back on 'best' friends status anymore imo.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Thanks for the various points of views guys/girls.

I'm going to go ahead and still be a groomsmen as it is a big milestone like 86 iroc-z said, and I'm not going to let a few months of not much friendship/etc change the long friendship we have and still will hopefully have. Also lol SeVeReDiStOrTiOn on the funeral comment.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

99.99% of the time, if you have to ask if youre being a cheapskate, you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    I thought it was fuckin' rediculous that I had to pay for my own tux when I was the bestman in a friends wedding. Same situation as you though. We hung out, but we weren't back on 'best' friends status anymore imo.
    whos going to pay for it if you dont?

pewter
    2000 ss slp

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post

He picked you as a groomsman for a reason. Pay the money and be there for him during this milestone in his life.
    right on lol i would think he would pay for it but be there for him he will be there for u sum day .......

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Yea this scenario always sucks. I perform wedding ceremonies for one of my jobs and most young folks are stressed as hell about paying for a tux. I was asked to stand up for a buddy of mine last year and the tux cost me $150.00 for the day. However, the Groom gave everyone $50.00 gift cards as presents so that helped out a bit.

Pony up and help make this a once in a lifetime experience for him. If you get married someday have him in your wedding party so he has to pay for a tux. Many places that rent tuxedos let the groom get his for free if there are four people in the wedding party.

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

You're basically getting 2 free meals (rehearsal dinner?), cheap if not free drinks, and an evening of entertainment out of this...

Pay the money and go support your friend in one of the biggest decisions of his life.

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post

Mine cost > $500 but it was a designer tuxedo (my date won a free tux rental at her all-girl's school raffle, lol) and free to me.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

1) I'm pretty sure chicks dig a guy in a tux
    2) I'm pretty sure single hot chicks will be at the wedding
    3) I'm pretty sure your bud is getting his ass in a sling seeing you are in college
    4) It's a one time affair with memories that may last a lifetime
    5) Just because your not really "close" lately doesn't mean he's sitting on his ass. Lotta shit to do for said wedding, even as the groom.
    6) You got a lifetime to recoup your tux money
    7) Party like prohibition starts the next day and have fun

Your not cheap, I understand your predicament. But just do it and don't complain. You won't go bankrupt.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Power View Post
    You're basically getting 2 free meals (rehearsal dinner?), cheap if not free drinks, and an evening of entertainment out of this...

Pay the money and go support your friend in one of the biggest mistakes of his life.
    Fixed....

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    If you really don't have the money, then... you don't have the money. It's not like you're his best man or anything.

I don't know. I think big weddings are a colossal waste of money myself.

But, only you know how much his friendship means to you. You'll have to go on that.
    i agree with all of that!!,, weddings are a waste of money!!
    and only you know what its worth for you

not going wouldnt make you cheap... you just simply cant. and if he was a friend, hed be ok with that... you could still of course go to the wedding, but with out the 200+ tux.....

but then, he did want you as a groomsman for a reason on the big day...

so if you can manage the $$ go ahead and try..?

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

I didn't want to get anyone to pay for shit that I wanted them to do. I had 4 groomsman and I got them all brand new custom tailored suits/shirts/bow-ties/etc. that they got to keep after the event. they had to bring their own shoes ... lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information