Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

For all you 2am 'binders and extenders' addicts

Taco Bell Sued Over Meat That's Just 35 Percent Beef

You'll have to pardon the puns, but...

Taco Bell might want to change it's "Think Outside the Bun" campaign to "What's Really in That Taco?" after a class-action lawsuit filed against the fast-food giant claimed its taco filler doesn't, um, "meat" federal standards.

The suit against the YUM-brands chain also has a "beef" with the company's advertising, charging its claims of using "seasoned ground beef" or "seasoned beef" in its food products is false.

According to the suit filed by the Alabama law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, the YUM-brands owned chain is using a meat mixture that contains binders and extenders, and does not meet the minimum requirements set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to be labeled as "beef.”

Attorney Dee Miles said the meat mixture contained just 35 percent beef, with the remaining 65 percent containing water, wheat oats, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent and modified corn starch.

The suit was filed on behalf of Taco Bell customer and California resident Amanda Obney, who is not seek monetary damages, but instead wants a court to order Taco Bell to be honest in its advertising.

"We are asking that they stop saying that they are selling beef," Miles said.

Irvine, Calif.-based Taco Bell spokesman Rob Poetsch said the company denies that its advertising is misleading and said the company would "vigorously defend the suit."

While the company does list its ingredients on its website — and indicates whether they are allergens — registered dietitian and Fox News contributor Tanya Zuckerbrot said the fillers could be a danger for some consumers.

“Wheat oats, soy lecithin and maltodrextrin are common allergens that are often added to processed foods as fillers because they are much less expensive than meat,” she said. “Aside from being misleading, this form of false advertising puts the consumer at risk as well.”

Zuckerbrot said according to the USDA, “ground beef can have seasonings, but no water, phosphates, extenders, or binders added.” The meat from Taco Bell does not meet the minimum requirements set by the USDA, she said.
    “Rather than Taco Bell calling the meat ‘seasoned ground beef’ they should refer to it as ‘mixed meat’ and list the additional ingredients so consumers can know what they are putting into their mouths,” she said.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/0...d-ingredients/
    Last edited by SiggyZ; 01-25-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

I ate 3 tacos from TB today lol, the hot sauce makes it seem more beefier lol

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

got food poisoning from them in highschool, I secreted liquid from every hole I've got, never again.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Binders and extenders - YUM!

For those ignorant to the double entendre behind my post: YUM enterprises (or some such) owns several food chains, among them Taco Bell...

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Binders and extenders - YUM!

For those ignorant to the double entendre behind my post: YUM enterprises (or some such) owns several food chains, among them Taco Bell...
    I checked their stock charts earlier, terrifying for holders

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LOL...as of 10am yesterday Yum stock has dropped like Pamela Anderson's panties on a boat ride.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i don't give a shit what's in taco bell food... it tastes good... i'm eating it... i'm eating the taco...

Awaiting Activation

They put sand in the meat to keep it from clumping up so that it 'flows' easily.

I haven't eaten that shit since I found that out.

But....leave it to California to fuck up a good thing.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Binders and extenders...which of those is the laxative?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

The extender is. The bender is the part when you go start to sit before you shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Binders and extenders...which of those is the laxative?

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

I don't care what it is! Give me a Crunch Wrap Supreme and a Tortada over ANY fast food burger ANY DAY!!!!

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i don't give a shit what's in taco bell food... it tastes good... i'm eating it... i'm eating the taco...
    I'm with you, I really don't give a crap it taste good.

The whole dispute is over like a 5% margin. To qualify as beef by the usda it has to have at least 40% beef by a independent test taco bells so called beef is only around 35% beef. So based on that test it can not be called beef. To lazy to look the article up but if you search you will find it. So what that tells me is every other fast food chain is probably using exactly at 40%. So basically surprise surprise all fast food beef it total crap. Imagine that fast food companies using crap ingredients to make a buck.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Since it isn't considered "beef" does that mean PETA and all those Vegans won't bitch about it????

Inquiring minds want to know.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Since it isn't considered "beef" does that mean PETA and all those Vegans won't bitch about it????

Inquiring minds want to know.

But it shouldn't really be a shock to find out that a big company is using the cheapest stuff it can in it's product...

I don't mind that it's part soy and chemicals and water and extenders so long as it's proven that those aren't harmful.

Plenty of companies advertise there products as 'x' when it's really only a percentage 'x'. And we as consumers have access to their ingredients list somewhere if we want to know them, right? So does this really warrant a lawsuit? I agree, stupid California...

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Taco Bell quickly denied the accusation, calling the lawsuit “bogus” and “completely inaccurate.” On its website, the company stated "Our beef is 100% USDA inspected, just like the quality beef you would buy in a supermarket and prepare in your home…Our seasoned beef recipe contains 88% quality USDA-inspected beef and 12% seasonings, spices, water and other ingredients that provide taste, texture and moisture.” The company also added it uses no extenders.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/0...#ixzz1CN1B0j00

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
    They put sand in the meat to keep it from clumping up so that it 'flows' easily.

I haven't eaten that shit since I found that out.

But....leave it to California to fuck up a good thing.
    If you knew how many other foods have silicon dioxide (a form sand) in them you would never eat.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

How does a Montgomery Alabama law firm represent a resident of Calif?
    Posted via Mobile Device

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Taco Bell quickly denied the accusation, calling the lawsuit “bogus” and “completely inaccurate.” On its website, the company stated "Our beef is 100% USDA inspected, just like the quality beef you would buy in a supermarket and prepare in your home…Our seasoned beef recipe contains 88% quality USDA-inspected beef and 12% seasonings, spices, water and other ingredients that provide taste, texture and moisture.” The company also added it uses no extenders.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/0...#ixzz1CN1B0j00
    Knew a guy in high school that worked there and I remember him saying never eat at taco hell because their beef is just water added to some powder. Things could've changed since then but I don't see how 88% beef can look like a powder.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Ever seen potato flakes? Dried/Powdered milk?

Suck the moisture out of anything and it'll become powder.

Just about everything at KFC/Taco Bell is powdered. Add water, stir and serve. I worked at one for 6 months or so. The 'beef' came 'wet' in plastic bags that were submerged in hot water to warm/thaw before use. No powdered meat.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Great drunk food! Ask McDonald's what goes into their beef and you'd hurl too.

THE FAST-FOOD HAMBURGER
    The great American staple. Don’t worry, burgers really do come from cows—but have you ever wondered how those giant chains process and distribute so much meat so cheaply? And . . . are you sure you want to know?

The Truth: Most fast-food hamburger patties begin their voyage to your buns in the hands of a company called Beef Products. The company specializes in taking slaughterhouse trimmings—heads and hooves and the like—that are traditionally used only in pet food and cooking oil, and turning them into patties. The challenge is getting this byproduct meat clean enough for human consumption, as both E. coli and salmonella like to
    The company has developed a process for killing beef-based pathogens by forcing the ground meat through pipes and exposing it to ammonia gas—the same chemical you might use to clean your bathroom. Not only has the USDA approved the process, but it's also allowed those who sell the beef to keep it hidden from their customers. At Beef Products’ behest, ammonia gas has been deemed a “processing agent” that need not be concentrate themselves in the fatty deposits.
    identified on nutrition labels. Never mind that if ammonia gets on your skin, it can cause severe burning, and if it gets in your eyes, it can blind you. Add to the gross-out factor the fact that after moving through this lengthy industrial process, a single beef patty can consist of cobbled-together pieces from different cows from all over the world—a practice that only increases the odds of contamination.
    To my surprise, the same company that supplies Mickey D's may supply all of the YUM taco (tacobell) stands too:
    http://www.beefproducts.com/product_usage/index.cfm
    Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 01-30-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information