Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama

Black
    2005 GTO

Alabama

Tell me about Alabama.

I may have an opportunity to move there for work. We have about 3 new stores going in daphne, spanish fort and dothan all opening by end of the year. There is a lot of opportunity to move up quickly in the company out that way. I could make asst store manager in probably 2-3 years where here it would be probably 5-8yrs minimum. I told my boss I was willing to go out there for a promotion which would be about 20-25k raise, plus i believe they are still giving a 5k bonus to go out there. Basically all I have to do now is put in my request to transfer which will set the wheels in motion. Once I do there is not turning back so I'm taking a few days to think about it.

I'm really just looking for some advice and any info about the area itself as I have never been there or anywhere close. From what I have seen on the net the daphne and spanish fort area is rather nice but i'm not all that into the dothan area. I could also end up fl panhandle which I really would not mind going there, but I don't exactly get to choose the exact location I go to.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Thimk possums and an slowed down pace of life...

Sorry, I jest....

Only time I passed through "Bama" was on my way to FLA back in the mid 70's....

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I don't know anything about alabama but for 25k more a year does it really matter? Unless you have something holding you back in florida i'd put in for the transfer. I'm sure the cost of living is cheaper too so you'll be rolling in dough bro.

it has a diff time zone then FL. thats all i know

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Given being a single dude I'd move just for the experience...

Then again given my age maybe not. An anecdote:

I was offered a $10k increase in salary by a competitor to move to NY and become the competitions Engineering Manager. I turned it down, stating the I'd already moved to AZ from LA and the climate in Rochester, NY (hot and humid in the summer with snow in the winter) was brutal compared to PHX and that was climate change enough for me...
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 04-11-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I was born there. Bama is a great place

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    I don't know anything about alabama but for 25k more a year does it really matter? Unless you have something holding you back in florida i'd put in for the transfer. I'm sure the cost of living is cheaper too so you'll be rolling in dough bro.
    Your right for 25k it doesn't really matter but I still don't want to live in a total hell hole of a town. In all honesty it can't be much worse than here in Jacksonville. This city is going down hill and the crime rate is horrible, which is one of the reasons I want to leave. I really have no desire to settle down and live in Jacksonville the rest of my life.

I really don't have anything holding me here which is why I am really considering it. Only thing I have here is my GF which we have already discussed this before and she would come with me. I told her today to really think long and hard about if she really wants to.

From just a quick look online the houses are dirt cheap out there too. You can get a really nice house out there for 100-120k the same house would cost you 150-180k here.

Black
    1999 Trans Am Ws6/M6

Be ready to see toilets in the front lawn used as flower pots. Just sayin..

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

I've heard it makes for a sweet home...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    I've heard it makes for a sweet home...
    "Sweet Home Alabama"? Now you're talking my age group...

I got to see Lynyrd Skynyrd live when they backed up The Who at the Forum in LA back in 74. Awsome concert....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Tell me about Alabama.

I may have an opportunity to move there for work. We have about 3 new stores going in daphne, spanish fort and dothan all opening by end of the year. There is a lot of opportunity to move up quickly in the company out that way. I could make asst store manager in probably 2-3 years where here it would be probably 5-8yrs minimum. I told my boss I was willing to go out there for a promotion which would be about 20-25k raise, plus i believe they are still giving a 5k bonus to go out there. Basically all I have to do now is put in my request to transfer which will set the wheels in motion. Once I do there is not turning back so I'm taking a few days to think about it.

I'm really just looking for some advice and any info about the area itself as I have never been there or anywhere close. From what I have seen on the net the daphne and spanish fort area is rather nice but i'm not all that into the Dothan area. I could also end up fl panhandle which I really would not mind going there, but I don't exactly get to choose the exact location I go to.
    Well I've lived in all three locations.

Dothan - Not much to do there. Its a "major" city in the middle of farming. It has Ft Rucker close by but not close enough to really matter. They live for the peanut festival in OCT. IMHO really F'ing boring!

Spanish Fort/Daphne - I live less then 10 miles from there. Your within 25 miles from the gulf. Lot's of seafood if you like it, Mobile, Bixoli and Pensacola are with in a hours drive. People are ok. Mobile is the birth place of Mardi Gras and it can be fun to go. Economy hasn't really taken at hit to bad here and home prices are down but if your a buyer it's in your favor.

It is also very popular with families for spring break and the gulf fishing is great. Up till last year or so Mustang hell but I've been seeing a lot more F-bodies coming up. When I got mine I swear I was one of only five here now they are getting more popular.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 04-12-2011 at 07:28 AM.

red
    2001 v6 camaro

Its really not as bad as people make it out to be. There are some of the "backwoods" places you hear about, but I assume most states have those. The areas you mentioned aren't bad either, and are well within driving distance of some major cities for any kind of entertainment you can find locally. The best part is how everything is just kind of laid back and slow paced. Also never everyone you see (for the most part )will say hi or though up a wave, everyone is just friendly basically.

White
    02 WS6

Daphne.....'nuff said.

dale

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Hot, and crazy humid summers, just like Fla..

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Alabama. Land of oil, Bear Bryant, Forest Gump and Leprechauns.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Spanish Fort is very nice.not the stereotypical Alabama people think of.in fact most of Alabama is not what people that have never been think it is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

im sure its stereotyped just like texas is....blah blah rednecks and porch swings....im sure there are some down home country folk, but for the most part, everyone has been modernized....
    Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    john, think of the ls1 as the chuck norris of all engines....there isnt a bearing on earth that can stand up to its huge cock of a rotating assembly....its just that bad ass....besides..even with my engine out, i can still smoke your ford....
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/v8mike/tpb.gif

Yes...this engine wanted to take a break from kickin ass so that it can pursue a career in acting..but will soon realize that no one will hire it due to it being so bad ass, and thats a liabiliity....

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Well I've lived in all three locations.

Dothan - Not much to do there. Its a "major" city in the middle of farming. It has Ft Rucker close by but not close enough to really matter. They live for the peanut festival in OCT. IMHO really F'ing boring!

Spanish Fort/Daphne - I live less then 10 miles from there. Your within 25 miles from the gulf. Lot's of seafood if you like it, Mobile, Bixoli and Pensacola are with in a hours drive. People are ok. Mobile is the birth place of Mardi Gras and it can be fun to go. Economy hasn't really taken at hit to bad here and home prices are down but if your a buyer it's in your favor.

It is also very popular with families for spring break and the gulf fishing is great. Up till last year or so Mustang hell but I've been seeing a lot more F-bodies coming up. When I got mine I swear I was one of only five here now they are getting more popular.
    I'm leaning on the spanish fort/daphne area. Dothan just seem like the middle of nowhere. Plus there really is not a lot of opportunity company wise there as we have very few locations in that area. That would mean I would have to move again or have a an hour+ drive to work every day.

Where I am now seems similar to the as daphne area only on a larger scale. I am perfectly fine moving to a smaller less populated area. There are two different district managers that I was told to turn my transfer request in to. One has the spanish fort/daphne and Pensacola fl area the other has dothan, Tallahassee, lake city fl area. I think I will just go for the spanish fort/daphne area DM if I decided to go threw with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Hot, and crazy humid summers, just like Fla..
    Yeah I figured it would be no different, I really don't care for that kind of weather but my company is only in the south so I'm kinda stuck with it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I live in Loxley. I'm kinda in the middle of Mobile and Pensacola. P-cola has much more stuff to do then Mobile but the Dpahne/Spanish Fort area is really nice. I just drive to P-cola if I want some city life.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    Spanish Fort is very nice.not the stereotypical Alabama people think of.in fact most of Alabama is not what people that have never been think it is.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    im sure its stereotyped just like texas is....blah blah rednecks and porch swings....im sure there are some down home country folk, but for the most part, everyone has been modernized....
    I'm not too concerned with the stereotypes. It really can't be much worse than were I am now. I'm about an hour outside on Jacksonville although now its not as bad now but 10yrs ago when I moved here it was redneck central. You saw jacked up pickup trucks with huge rebel flags on them. You saw at least half a dozen every time you drove threw town. In high-school we just about had a total race war of whites/blacks. I was not at all involved as I'm not simple minded like the folks here. Back then the racism still ran strong in these parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information