Thread: Air Compressors

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Air Compressors

What do you guys think about this Air Compressor?

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...roducts_id=683

I've learned that most... well who am I kidding, all Craftsman Air Compressors are crap. The oil free are loud as hell but cheap. Reading the reviews on all the Red Craftsman air compressors I would say 90 percent of all owners hate them and another 50 percent of those returned them to get an oil 2 stage pump. Of those I read most said that the reliablity was bad. Some said that they had problems with (old smokey) because they smoked alot and the oil leaked. So I've ruled them out. I looked at Campbell Hausfeld, most are to big or are horizontal. I would have considered one of the horizontal C/H compressors but its needing a 240v 15amp outlet. Even some of the 120v 20amp compressors people said would pop the circuit and would have to reset quite often. So I came across this one (Ingersoll Rand)
    I know that the 5.7 CFM isn't all that high, but its still higher than most if not all Craftsman. One of the Campbell's was rated at 18.? CFM and I was like holy COW but then I saw that it was 240v. Besides most of the Air tools I've looked at just require 5.0 CFM or less. Yes I know some air hammers, and Impact wrenchs go up to like 11 cfm, but I don't know if I will ever own any of the serious impact wrenchs that need that much. Anyway click on the above link and let me know what you think.

Black
    Dragster

I've had my red 30 Gal oil free Craftsman for about 5yrs, use it almost daily and don't have any issues with it at all.

But it is loud.

Red
    1971 Camaro

decent air compressor,

I've had a oilless sears direct drive for 12 years. The compressor is very easy to service...i've replaced the compresser sleeves and piston seals twice and have a third set sitting on the shelf. All you need is a torx set. (think it runs around $30.00 to do both cylinders) It does OK for me. We used it hooked up to an air hammer to bust down a rock and concrete wall. my boy ran it hard. took him a week to bust out the rocks on this 100 ft 4 foot high wall. afterwords it took about an hour to tear down the compressor and replace the seals and cups...I like mine, and it is loud as hell but It was cheap to buy,simple by design and is pretty cheap to fix.

Ingresoll makes pretty fair stuff and that compressor looks to be a ok. I think you may find that once you have one, you may find more use for it and the CFM may be too low...
    71 Camaro, roller cam 454 LS6, tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 2.56 gears, berlineta t-top, New Mexico plate "RAT454"
    74 Monte Carlo, 95 LT1 drive traIn swap, full computer,
    67 Buick Electra 225, 430 tire burner wildcat,
    +++if it ain't broke it's breaking+++

Thread Information