Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

5th gen v6 for a daily

Has anyone owned one of the new v6 Camaros?

I see they go for about 15k and was curious if anyone owns one and would be willing to review it. Looking at a 6spd too probably.

What I’ve found so far:

Pros: Motor reliability/power, looks, ride quality is ok , MPG

Cons: Visibility, paint, plastic interior, attention

Any feedback would be great!

White
    '10 ZR1

It seems to me you've covered the issues you need to cover. As we all know, ultimately, it's up to you to pull the trigger.

I don't think it's a bad move at 15K at all. Good luck!

'89 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car (Mom's car now)

'68 Camaro - 572 coming soon

'67 Nova - 406 SBC, PG

'10 ZR1

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I always thought it was kinda silly to own a v6 Camaro or T/A. They really only get 2 or so mpg better and for a DD I think there are better cars.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I always thought it was kinda silly to own a v6 Camaro or T/A. They really only get 2 or so mpg better and for a DD I think there are better cars.
    We all know driving around town numbers aren't that accurate with our lead feet though when it comes to MPG.

Getting the v8 over the v6 is a premium from the start. You can't find an LS3 SS for 15k.

V8 SS = 25k minimum (can buy a car new for that)
    V6 LT1 = 15k all day

Sure I thought it was silly to buy the V6 as well, but comparing it to other cars I'm looking at, like the Lexus IS250 and Honda Accord, the v6 Camaro has gotten much better reviews over the Accord. I feel like the maintenance on the Lexus will be a premium if I don't do it myself and I'm not familiar with the motor, and the backseat is small, I prefer a coupe anyways. The Lexus IS250 isn't out of the question since a 2008 is similar in price.

However, the IS250 requires premium gas and so does the v8 Camaro.

For me driving around town getting groceries and going to class, a V8 Camaro is silly, even the v6 might be silly for a 15k daily. I pay a premium from the start and at every fillup. You're paying .20-.30 more for every gallon of gas and you're filling up more often with the v8. Besides, I already have a V8 in the garage.

But hey, I'm still looking around. Just looking for opinions on the v6 Camaro, not what makes sense for you to own. Thanks for the insight though, this just made me take the time and write down what I already knew, but it makes even more sense for me not to buy the v8 now that I wrote it all out.

Besides all this though, I might even go the cheaper route and get an older Monte Carlo since I am familiar with them.
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 01-22-2016 at 06:43 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My little brother had an IS250 and hated it. Too small and was outrageous to maintain. Sold it after a year or so.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    We all know driving around town numbers aren't that accurate with our lead feet though when it comes to MPG.

Getting the v8 over the v6 is a premium from the start. You can't find an LS3 SS for 15k.

V6 LT1 = 15k all day

Sure I thought it was silly to buy the V6 as well, but comparing it to other cars I'm looking at, like the Lexus IS250 and Honda Accord, the v6 Camaro has gotten much better reviews over the Accord. I feel like the maintenance on the Lexus will be a premium if I don't do it myself and I'm not familiar with the motor, and the backseat is small, I prefer a coupe anyways. The Lexus IS250 isn't out of the question since a 2008 is similar in price.

For me driving around town getting groceries and going to class, a V8 Camaro is silly, even the v6 might be silly for a 15k daily. I pay a premium from the start and at every fillup. You're paying .20-.30 more for every gallon of gas and you're filling up more often with the v8. Besides, I already have a V8 in the garage.

But hey, I'm still looking around. Just looking for opinions on the v6 Camaro, not what makes sense for you to own. Thanks for the insight though, this just made me take the time and write down what I already knew, but it makes even more sense for me not to buy the v8 now that I wrote it all out.

Besides all this though, I might even go the cheaper route and get an older Monte Carlo since I am familiar with them.
    The insurance is(or should be) cheaper on a V6 - at least that is probably conventional wisdom. The 10K you save on the car, that is virtually the same as a V8, is huge. Your purpose is just getting from point A to B - and not much else. It seems to make sense to me.

Arctic White, red/gray

V6 LT1 = 15k all day

You can buy a new car for 25k yes but not a new v8 Camaro. I can buy a new car for 15k which would blow the gas mileage of the v6 Camaro out of the water, get your from point a to b, carry more people and items than the Camaro. So that point is moot.

If you want a new body style Camaro and don't want to pay more than 15k then get a v6 Camaro. They're not bad cars, 300hp. If you don't need a back seat that fits people, or a lot of cargo space. Me personally I would take a 09+ WRX or Legacy GT over a IS250. 270hp turbo with the ability to make 300AWHP with a tune, AWD, 4 doors, a real trunk.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 01-22-2016 at 08:18 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if I lived in Nebraska I'd be rocking a truck and definitely not a RWD car. At the end of the day though it's all up to what you want.....no one else's opinion means shit really. We're looking for my wife a new car. She likes the optima which I really don't have a problem with but I like the nissan maxima a lot....that's a laid out ride. Her car so she can pick whatever she wants because she's the one that has to drive it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I can buy a new car for 15k which would blow the gas mileage of the v6 Camaro out of the water, get your from point a to b, carry more people and items than the Camaro. So that point is moot.
    Well I am all ears. Let me know which car you're thinking of.

Looking for:
    -Easy to maintain
    -Reliable
    -Respectable interior with leather, heated (cooled seats is a plus) and a sunroof.
    -coupe>sedan

I've been looking at 02-05 Monte Carlos (would save a lot of money this route) 06-07 interiors are actually worse than the 02-05

If you're thinking Subaru, I will take a look and maybe drive one. But tbh, never been a big fan of them. Always liked coupes, easier to see out of.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    if I lived in Nebraska I'd be rocking a truck and definitely not a RWD car. At the end of the day though it's all up to what you want.....no one else's opinion means shit really. We're looking for my wife a new car. She likes the optima which I really don't have a problem with but I like the nissan maxima a lot....that's a laid out ride. Her car so she can pick whatever she wants because she's the one that has to drive it.
    Most people do rock trucks here. Although I've never understood why. I do live in the city and people still drive them here. They are hard to park in some places and I just never have really needed to haul anything unless I'm doing a project at the house. I could always rent a home depot truck if it really came down to it. I guess the mpg is a huge turn off as well. We may get 1-2 snow storms where a truck would be nice, but I've never gotten stuck in my fwd grand prix, ever. My sister had a charger that was rwd, she did use blizzaks, but it was like a tank in the snow. I suppose the v6 Camaro would require the same approach though.

I have been looking at the Maximas and Optimas though, they are not out of the question. Thanks. Also looking at CTS's, but I strongly prefer coupes due to height and visibility with the seat all the way back.
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 01-22-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Her car so she can pick whatever she wants because she's the one that has to drive it.
    and pay for it.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

A 4 year old base Miata maybe?
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Arctic White, red/gray

Well I am all ears. Let me know which car you're thinking of.

Looking for:
    -Easy to maintain
    -Reliable
    -Respectable interior with leather, heated (cooled seats is a plus) and a sunroof.
    -coupe>sedan

I've been looking at 02-05 Monte Carlos (would save a lot of money this route) 06-07 interiors are actually worse than the 02-05

If you're thinking Subaru, I will take a look and maybe drive one. But tbh, never been a big fan of them. Always liked coupes, easier to see out of.

Most people do rock trucks here. Although I've never understood why. I do live in the city and people still drive them here. They are hard to park in some places and I just never have really needed to haul anything unless I'm doing a project at the house. I could always rent a home depot truck if it really came down to it. I guess the mpg is a huge turn off as well. We may get 1-2 snow storms where a truck would be nice, but I've never gotten stuck in my fwd grand prix, ever. My sister had a charger that was rwd, she did use blizzaks, but it was like a tank in the snow. I suppose the v6 Camaro would require the same approach though.

I have been looking at the Maximas and Optimas though, they are not out of the question. Thanks. Also looking at CTS's, but I strongly prefer coupes due to height and visibility with the seat all the way back.
    Ford fiesta, Hyundai Rio, Nissan versa, Honda fit. There are more but all 4 are under 15k brand spanking new, get almost 40mpg freeway, have 2 or 4 doors and a back seat you could fit people under 5'8 or so in and have trunks. They just aren't much to look at. The fiesta and the fit are actually kind of fun to drive too with a manual trans. Small=nibble.

I really like the 08/09 Subaru legacy GTs.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

I would take the used 08-09 Subaru Legacy GT over any of those new $15k cars.

I absolutely love my turbo Subie.

The Subie blasts through winter and adverse weather with ease.

It also brings out my inner lesbian.

If you don't need the AWD though, the V6 Camaro is a compelling choice for $15k.

Plus it has performance roughly equal to the '90s LT1 F-body with much better build and MPG.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

They just aren't much to look at
    Kinda why I never mentioned them. But I did rent a Fiesta on a business trip a few years ago. It was quite nimble and perfectly fine to drive, but I don't think I'd ever want to drive one every day. I do have "some" self-respect.

I really like the 08/09 Subaru legacy GTs.
    If I can find one that isn't riced out. It's like they are Honda Civics around here. I will look on carguru and see what they are going for.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I got a 13 focus titanium fully loaded hatchback for not much more then 16k last year. Wanted a wrx but for a newer one I didn't feel like paying the money they wanted. 08 or so easily but with how much I drive every day I needed something newer that I don't have to worry about and still under warranty. I'll have probably put close to 20k on it in the year I've owned it come feb.

Only complaints I have is the transmission it's ford's first attempt at a mass produced dct and you can tell. Runs fine but at slow speeds it shifts kinda rough. Other then that I see them everywhere.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Come buy my 2008 Impala LTZ.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Come buy my 2008 Impala LTZ.
    LTZ.... you baller. No thanks though. Dealer let my cousin borrow one, drove it around a bit, actually rode pretty good, took the potholes well.

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    I got a 13 focus titanium fully loaded hatchback for not much more then 16k last year. Wanted a wrx but for a newer one I didn't feel like paying the money they wanted. 08 or so easily but with how much I drive every day I needed something newer that I don't have to worry about and still under warranty. I'll have probably put close to 20k on it in the year I've owned it come feb.

Only complaints I have is the transmission it's ford's first attempt at a mass produced dct and you can tell. Runs fine but at slow speeds it shifts kinda rough. Other then that I see them everywhere.
    I see only a couple FS on carguru, but I could get this for about the same price: http://cargur.us/6xdQd

What you guys think of the Acura TL Type-S

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Acura TL is a very nice ride.

A friend of mine has one with 200k+ on it and it is still a very nice driving car.

Requires premium fuel though.
    Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Has anyone owned one of the new v6 Camaros?

I see they go for about 15k and was curious if anyone owns one and would be willing to review it. Looking at a 6spd too probably.

What I’ve found so far:

Pros: Motor reliability/power, looks, ride quality is ok , MPG

Cons: Visibility, paint, plastic interior, attention

Any feedback would be great!

You can get a 2 year old abarth for 15k easy. I would choose that in a manual of a v6 camaro hands down........tons of potential......amazing handling......way better mpg also.

But to answer your question(v6 camaro) i had one for a company car for a week. It is a good car. a little bland, pretty good gas mileasge handled good. it's a good car man just nothing special, I honestly would take my 2006 monte carlo ss with the ls4 motor over v6 camaro all day, better interior way more room and much better power, they are pretty cheap now also.....you just don't pay 15k for a 5 year old v6 camaro with miles man.....they just are not worth spending 15k I honestly think the best daily drivers under 20k is the abarth or a 06-07 monte ss............I test drove the abarth it is something else, one of the coolest cars i have ever driven..............
    Last edited by Murder after Midnight; 01-23-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    You can get a 2 year old abarth for 15k easy. I would choose that in a manual of a v6 camaro hands down........tons of potential......amazing handling......way better mpg also.

But to answer your question(v6 camaro) i had one for a company car for a week. It is a good car. a little bland, pretty good gas mileasge handled good. it's a good car man just nothing special, I honestly would take my 2006 monte carlo ss with the ls4 motor over v6 camaro all day, better interior way more room and much better power, they are pretty cheap now also.....you just don't pay 15k for a 5 year old v6 camaro with miles man.....they just are not worth spending 15k I honestly think the best daily drivers under 20k is the abarth or a 06-07 monte ss............I test drove the abarth it is something else, one of the coolest cars i have ever driven..............
    I remember what you said about the SS. I need to go find one for myself and check out the interiors. You say it's nice, but the pictures I've looked at, are not impressive. So I will go look at one. What I was reading about the transmissions kind of scared me as well. I am still leaning towards the LTZ because it doesn't require premium gas and I don't need the power of the SS. Also I think it might be flexfuel as well. The LTZ has all the options of the SS without the v8.

I'm reading about the Acura TLs still, especially the Type-S and it has my attention. Their MPG isn't great, but 18/27 isn't bad either. Their interiors look great, but the leather can wear if not taken care of. I guess the motors are really reliable after you do the timing belt when required and the transmissions sound so-so, kinda like GM, but on the TL forum there's a lot of people with 200k+ on them already. The used ones are under 100k for 10-15k depending if you get the base or Type-S.

I've driven a Fiat 500 before, all over Europe and I had no complaints. However, what size are the rims on those? I knew a girl that had Smart car and she blew out tires and bent rims. The potholes here are terrible, they refuse to fix them for months. But that's a different issue. There is a Fiat dealer here though, I will keep them in mind and take a look at them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information