Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

1st time Deer Hunting, Hunters step iin...

I got bambi and his cousin. 1st ever deer hunting experience. I got 2 'yearling' bucks each between 85-100 lbs. I used my friends Remmington .222 rifle and scope. Feeder is 75 yards from the stand. Here is the breakdown:

Fridat night one shot, one kill (got bambi through the heart at about 60 yards)...

Saturday morning one shot one kill (bambi's cousin, head shot from about 50 yards). dropped 'em both. gutted and have taken the meat to get processsed. should have about 75lbs of meet total when done...

Had a great time and look forward to doing it again. I took out my Remmington 12ga, and HK .45 ACP for target shooting as well. It was on private property (family owned in west texas). I will get pics up when I get them off my camera...

I want to hear about your hunting experiences and outings, so post up!!!

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Us Canuck red necks in Alberta hunt for almost anything.

The only problem is the tree-huggers have temporarily stopped the spring Grizzly bear hunt for two F N years!

After a few more maulings they will open it up again.

I would love to bag a Griz!

red and black
    02TransAm WS6 & 2011 2SS

Poor bambi.

blue
    83 mustang 347

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    I got bambi and his cousin. 1st ever deer hunting experience. I got 2 'yearling' bucks each between 85-100 lbs.
    Fridat night one shot, one kill (got bambi through the heart at about 60 yards)..
    Thats the best meat right there bud.

I had a bobcat climb up the tree my stand was in once... scared the living shit out of me. it was about 10 feet under me and my cousin shot it in the head from his stand which was about 150 yards away.

My first deer was a 6 point at about 70 yards with a marlin lever action .35 snapped its spine with one shot. I usually fall asleep in the stand so i kill maybe 1-2 deer a year and its usually a doe or a yearling

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by ztrouble View Post
    Thats the best meat right there bud...
    that's what i was told by the party that i went with. they gutted and skinned both deers and said that the loins will taste great. we split up the meet for loins, sausage and jerky. i can't wait to get it back.

where about west texas did you go. i live just outside of san angelo and we have deer everywhere.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat24 View Post
    where about west texas did you go. i live just outside of san angelo and we have deer everywhere.
    I was outside a small town called Harper, TX. It's about 25 miles west of Fredricksburg, Tx...

Holy shit! your hunting up in the hill country and bragging about bagging 2 yearling nubbin bucks? I dont expect you to bag a Muy Grande but Im curious to why shoot a yearling on purpose and 2 of them?!

blue
    83 mustang 347

some people dont kill deer just to hang on their walls.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

first, i'm not bragging about anything. posted to share my first hunting experience with other possible hunts on the site, and asked them for the same. i have never been out in west central texas before, let alone deer hunting.

second, didn't shoot them (yearling bucks) on purpose. even looking through the scope and binoculars they looked like does from that range. even the party i was with thought they were does, so i took the shots. let me know how good you are at dusk and dawn telling from that range if you, MR. GREAT HUNTER could tell.

third, why two!? why not two? again refer up to my second point. there are plenty of people i know that eat deer. nothing went to waste from what was killed, nor did i kill for the simple pleasure of it.

fourth, if all you care to do is bash me for sharing my experience instead of contributing to the thread by sharing your own experiences as asked, then don't hi-jack my thread by posting in it period...

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by ztrouble View Post
    some people dont kill deer just to hang on their walls.
    thank you...

Black
    1999 Trans am

Colorado has been poor hunting sense i started, only this year was the year i really got in to the Elk, i have not seen a deer sense i shot one when i was 16 (now 24)

The deer i shot, it was very late in the day driving back to camp to chow and relax and i just happend to look to the right hand side and saw it standing there i was all "STOP-DEER-BUCK-MINE!" Got out and dropped him like a sack of potatos.....90lb mule deer vs .300 win mag...............poor bambie, didnt even know what hit him..... The shot that i got on him was a strigh ton shot....I took out the left legg, +viens, went through snagged the liver then took out the left rear legg down low (cut it off) only animal i've shot, unless you count squirrles......

This year i ran in to a Mountian Lion and a Hurd of cow elk, but non of them i could shoot seens how i had a bull tag....so maybe next year i will get my elk

Black
    1999 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Evictor View Post
    Holy shit! your hunting up in the hill country and bragging about bagging 2 yearling nubbin bucks? I dont expect you to bag a Muy Grande but Im curious to why shoot a yearling on purpose and 2 of them?!
    Its like Veal....Good n tender

and like others, some people dont hunt just for the head, wild game is very tasty, i'll take an elk steak over a beef steak anyday

nothing wrong with shootin yearlings, they taste good. one good way to tell a young doe from a nubbin buck in the early morning late evening is that a doe will have a rounded look to the top of her head and a nubbin will have what looks like a flat top across the top of the head. dont let people trash talk you. the deer in the hill country arent known for their massive racks (big is 140BC) compared to other places, but its awesome for first time hunters cuz of the sheer numbers of them.

my first deer was a spike at our family ranch, there were several deer at a feeder including a 10point and a 12point. however, i was told to shoot the spike because shooting a big deer like that would just spoil me( i was 8). so anyways, my first deer was a spike with a 6mm remington model 7.
    if you continue to hunt, i think you'll find other ways more fun and challenging. for instance, i love to bowhunt, but if i cant do that, i'll sit on a hill and spot and stalk, also very challenging.
    dont listen to all the bashers, non hunters bitch and other hunters bitch cuz you dont do it there way, just do what you like

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Good job man, hope you take up the sport. My dad and I hunt quite a bit, i have killed a buck that scored 165 and my dad has killed 2 in the 170's. we also do a lot predator hunting too so that is what I have been to lately, but not with much luck, we just don't have the numbers of coyotes we had when i was real little (ten years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel P. View Post
    Good job man, hope you take up the sport. My dad and I hunt quite a bit, i have killed a buck that scored 165 and my dad has killed 2 in the 170's. we also do a lot predator hunting too so that is what I have been to lately, but not with much luck, we just don't have the numbers of coyotes we had when i was real little (ten years ago).

what call are you using? i've been using a electronic yellow hammered woodpecker call and a screamer to try and coax them in close. no coyotes though, bobcats and foxes by the dozens, we dont have coyotes. i also use a 12ga with 4shot or a 22mag. how are you huntin them in kansas?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I hunt for the freezer first. No shame in a yearling. I have a bigger issue with the feeder really. Get them on equal terms. Move away from the feeder and swap out that fire stick for a bow. Then you can go hunting instead of shooting. Congrats on your first kill. Now spend some time learning how to cook it so you can share it with everyone and show them how great venison can be. First tip, throw away the garlic powder.

13 point I shot with my bow this year.

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Venison is Damn good. I still have some in the freezer from y Ex Bro-Inlaw.
    Made Venision Spaghetti sauce the other night.

I love it and it is far batter for the body then Beef.

Congrats on the 13 point Orion.

Feel free to send me any of that fine Venison.

Orion....nice buck, what bow do you shoot? i agree, feeders are no fun

Awaiting Activation

no deer this year for me but.........

I did see the biggest bobcat of my life,we watched him walk up to us on an old logging road, we thought it was a mt lion until he turned into the trees and then we could see his spots and no tail,he will make an excellant life size mount come predator season good shootin on ur 2 deer!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information