Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blk/gld,Blu,Blk
    78TA,92RS,02Hawk

160mph w/ S-rated BFGs?

I've done 145 with BF Goodrich radial T/As before in short bursts, but is briefly going 160 on a 112mph rated tire pushing it too far? Anyone done it?

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I havent done it but is the risk worth it?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i think its dumb period to ever go that fast on a public street no matter what tire..but if your at a track and going well over the speed rating then your flirting with disaster...

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit400 View Post
    I've done 145 with BF Goodrich radial T/As before in short bursts, but is briefly going 160 on a 112mph rated tire pushing it too far? Anyone done it?
    goin too fast for your rating is a recipe for disaster no matter where you are. sure you can get away with it once, twice, maybe a hundred times. . .but it WILL blow. hell, tires blow within their ratings. . .ask ol' murphy what he thinks bout this one.

i've buried my speedo on steering column plenty of times, i got good tires, but it still doesn't mean it's a good idea/nothing will happen.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    goin too fast for your rating is a recipe for disaster no matter where you are. sure you can get away with it once, twice, maybe a hundred times. . .but it WILL blow. hell, tires blow within their ratings. . .ask ol' murphy what he thinks bout this one.

i've buried my speedo on steering column plenty of times, i got good tires, but it still doesn't mean it's a good idea/nothing will happen.
    100% right. and if you go that fast, make shure your tire pressure is high enough (20% above what the manual says), your tires aren't old or damaged. ever imagined what happens when you blow a tire at that speed?

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

i blew a ZR rated tire going 70mph on the highway... almost lost control. it was the front tire... i didn't... but it was an experience to say the least....

going 40mph over the rating is ridiculous. don't do it again...

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    100% right. and if you go that fast, make shure your tire pressure is high enough (20% above what the manual says), your tires aren't old or damaged. ever imagined what happens when you blow a tire at that speed?
    the tires are supposed to be 29psi in the manual... so they should be 33???

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wretched View Post
    the tires are supposed to be 29psi in the manual... so they should be 33???
    that's what the ADAC (the german AAA) always recommends. and my tire guys too.
    29 psi is 2.0 bar, i generally run 2.4 to 2.5 bar (~35/36 psi). my usual cruising speed on the freeway is between 100 and 120 mph and i never had tire issues.
    fast speed means the rubber works more and faster, causing it to heat up. too hot = tire blows. number one reason for high speed tire failure. more tire pressure lets the tire wall "work" less, the tire stays cooler. and if you don't overdo it, it won't affect the grip.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    that's what the ADAC (the german AAA) always recommends. and my tire guys too.
    29 psi is 2.0 bar, i generally run 2.4 to 2.5 bar (~35/36 psi). my usual cruising speed on the freeway is between 100 and 120 mph and i never had tire issues.
    fast speed means the rubber works more and faster, causing it to heat up. too hot = tire blows. number one reason for high speed tire failure. more tire pressure lets the tire wall "work" less, the tire stays cooler. and if you don't overdo it, it won't affect the grip.
    are you stationed over there or are you german? post your sig for me.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

are you stationed over there or are you german? post your sig for me.
    i'm german, my car is the european export model (different lights only from what i know). very exotic car in germany. stock exc. for lid, catback, 18" rims/tires.

red
    2000 camaro ss

i've always wanted to go there with my car and burn some stuff on autobahn. they'd be like "what is this big, loud thing that keeps burnin us". nice to see someone holdin it down over there for us. man you should get some work done. . . .
    2000 red ss: >2" drop, koni adjustables 'n 275 s-compounds all way around, giant brakes, dynatech LT's, borla catback (no plate), t56, tubular everything, HARD TOP, caged, "stock" heads 'n a mean cam. -2* front camber.

Blk/gld,Blu,Blk
    78TA,92RS,02Hawk

I was guessing that speed ratings are rather conservative, meaning the tire could actually handle more speed, but was rated to withstand a sustained speed of it's rating..in this case 112mph for the tire in question. So, if the Max PSI on the side of the tire says 35, what would you inflate it to?
    How about the PSI on Firehawk SZ50EP which are Z rated.

red
    2000 camaro ss

conservative or not, following them is a good idea. i wouldn't inflate your tires too much. if they heat up under higher pressure they may be more prone to bustin'. i keep mine around 30 and even a little less dependin on what i'm doin. 30 is generally what i use when i'm bangin turns or road racin. they get hotter than hell road racin.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

You've got be brighter than this man. Is going 160 on a tire that's rated by it's manufacturer for 48mph less safe? What's your best guess?

Stupid question IMO.

red
    2000 camaro ss

man i dont think ive ever seen you be anything but negative.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

man i dont think ive ever seen you be anything but negative.
    I'm guessing this is retaliation for me previously calling out your lack of automotive knowledge ehh?

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i've always wanted to go there with my car and burn some stuff on autobahn. they'd be like "what is this big, loud thing that keeps burnin us". nice to see someone holdin it down over there for us. man you should get some work done. . . .
    modding cars is very difficult and very expensive in germany due to the very strict government regulations. and you'd have a lot of really fast competition here. especially the fast audis, mercs and porsches are better handling and basicly built for high speed autobahn travel.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

I was guessing that speed ratings are rather conservative, meaning the tire could actually handle more speed, but was rated to withstand a sustained speed of it's rating..in this case 112mph for the tire in question. So, if the Max PSI on the side of the tire says 35, what would you inflate it to?
    How about the PSI on Firehawk SZ50EP which are Z rated.
    all tests i read about said that those speed ratings should be taken seriously.
    the tire pressure basically depends on your car's weight. the number you should look at is in your owners manual or the side of your door. you shouldn't run a lower pressure. running a slightly higher pressure is essentially for high speeds, but it also saves gas.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I don't see the point of 160MPH anyways...

I know my car had never seen those speeds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information