Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2007 Corvette

$ 10,000 over sticker ?

At 112 Chevy today getting my waterpump replaced on my 2007 Vette, at 11,500 miles ( WTF !). Not only was it leaking but it failed, leaking out of weap hole.
    Anyway they have a ZL1 Camaro in the showroom for $ 10,000 over sticker. Are you serious ? Does anybody really pay over sticker for cars nowadays ? This is why I and many people hate dealers, they are shady, I hope the ZL1 sits in the showroom for 12 months at that price. Rant is over, bad day.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Pretty much all niche cars are priced over sticker when they are first released. The ZR1s were priced anywhere from 150-400,000 for a car that had a msrp of 105k. The GTR's msrp was around 80k when it first came out and most nissan dealers wanted 200k or so for the first 6 months.

Rich people who want to be the first to own these awesome cars will pay big bucks to be the guy who owns it first.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

There are people who don't care how much they pay for something-including cars. To them, it's just a number. Car dealers know this, hence the markup. For the rest of us, it's a negotiating point.

Having said that, I don't see myself buying a new ZL1 anytime soon-or ever. Probably why I'm driving a Z28 that's eleven years old now
    Last edited by FinZ28; 04-25-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

$10,000 is a reasonable amount over sticker for a car like that. At the Nissan dealership I work at, every GT-R we get in gets marked up by $10,000. We don't always get that much for them, but we haven't sold one for less than MSRP. It's an easy way for a dealership to get a person to pay MSRP for the car with negotiating on the markup rather than going closer to invoice price.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Capitalism, baby. You all say you believe in it. Well, like it or not, that's what this is... If there's enough demand, and they've got the supply, they'll get that price.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

The 5th gens SS were going for upwards of 5-10k over msrp when they first came out for several months. Dealerships couldnt sale them fast enough even with the markup. I even called out the car salesman at the local dealership and he said fine ill sell it to someone else, wont take me more then a day or two.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Red97GTP View Post
    $10,000 is a reasonable amount over sticker for a car like that.

No, it isnt, not when there are people having no trouble finding them for MSRP. The dealership has plenty of profit in those cars at MSRP when including holdback. I'm not going to give them 10K$ over what the manufacturer says should be the starting point for price. Unfortunately, as long as there are stupid people out there that are willing to pay the upcharge, dealers like yours will continue to employ such "capitalistic" tactics.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

No different than selling Lottery tickets or Horoscopes. If people are willing to spend their money on frivolities, who are we to disparage someone from taking it from them?

Watch craigslist whenever a new iProduct comes out. People stand in line to get an item that will be sold out and then re-sell on CL for a few hundred $$ profit. If suckers are willing to pay it, why stop them?

There are people out there who will throw their money at what seems to us to be ridiculous things, while to them they seem like a perfectly reasonable area to spend hard earned $$$

While I would never spend more than MSRP for ANY car, dealers who slap a huge markup on popular cars have also lost any future business I might have given them as they have proven themselves to be opportunistic and possibly shady.

As 5.0This said, the dealer has plenty of profit in the vehicle sold at MSRP. By slapping a huge markup on a vehicle, their reputation is tarnished in my view and their $10,000 now won't make up for lost future sales that could have totalled more.

Arctic White, red/gray

You double posting SOB

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i'd have trouble taking one for free...

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    Yeah I still can't stand those smiley-face front ends... Though I did see a convertible for the first time the other day, and overall it was pretty sweet...

Arctic White, red/gray

I wouldn't, free is free. I will take a prius if its free.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

This is why I'll wait till the are sold off on a used lot after the insanity comes down.

I can't wait till the new C7 Vette comes out. It will make the C6's more affordable. Bad enough I already have to pay the Corvette premium on my T/A just because we have the same motor.

I'm at the point I just don't want or like anything new anymore. Between the unions forcing vehicle pricing up through the roof and our dollar deflating like a sky diver in free fall with no chute I think I'll hold off a few years on getting anything new from a dealership.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 04-26-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

You could always take it, then sell it on CL for $10k-$20k over the MSRP you didn't have to pay, for extra profit.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I wouldn't, free is free. I will take a prius if its free.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    You could always take it, then sell it on CL for $10k-$20k over the MSRP you didn't have to pay, for extra profit.
    i didn't say i wouldn't take it... i would feel shammed to take (in my opinion) such a blasphemy...

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    This is why I'll wait till the are sold off on a used lot after the insanity comes down.

I can't wait till the new C7 Vette comes out. It will make the C6's more affordable. Bad enough I already have to pay the Corvette premium on my T/A just because we have the same motor.

I'm at the point I just don't want or like anything new anymore. Between the unions forcing vehicle pricing up through the roof and our dollar deflating like a sky diver in free fall with no chute I think I'll hold off a few years on getting anything new from a dealership.
    If you are refering to insurance premiums they do not go solely off of the engine the car has. Sure they see the T/A and corvette as sports cars and therefore charge more for them. When I bought my legacy gt I was also looking at STIs. Both car have the same 2.5 liter DOHC turbo engine but the insurance on the STI was 400 dollars more per 6 months because it is seen as a sports car.

Navy Blue Metallic

I'm talking about the parts "premium" that seems to be on our cars.

Arctic White, red/gray

I'm talking about the parts "premium" that seems to be on our cars.
    Still no sure what you mean. I can go buy a mechanically sound ls1 f-body for 4,000 dollars.

Navy Blue Metallic

I guess what I mean is prices of parts when you compare any LS motor to a SBC. Stuff is so much cheaper for the SBC.

Arctic White, red/gray

I guess what I mean is prices of parts when you compare any LS motor to a SBC. Stuff is so much cheaper for the SBC.
    Well that is true, but the SBC has been around for so damn long you would think they would be giving that shit away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information