Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

Normal hp loss filter vs. no filter

My local shop dyno'd my car with filter on (vararam otrcai) then filter off. There was a loss of over 10hp with the filter on and told me that was cause for concern. The guy swears by the simple K&N setups. Due to the whistle I hear from the Vararam I know it does cause a little resistance to airflow. Am I losing to much from this filter or is this resistance common with any filter?
    2005 Impulse Blue GTO
    Kooks Longtube Headers (off-road mids) , SLP Loudmouth II Catback, Vararam OTRCAI, MSD Spark Wires, 238/242 .595, Trickflow 225cc Heads, SLP 25% UD Pulley, Breather, Elite Engineering Catch Can, 3200 TC,Hayden Trans Cooler, P&P TB, Dyno tune by Sunshine Performance

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

When they set up the fan are they doing it normally? By that, aiming it underneath to hit the air dam or are the positioning it to come in direct like you would be on the road.

To be honest I can't see there being a 10hp difference.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by dethinboots View Post
    My local shop dyno'd my car with filter on (vararam otrcai) then filter off. There was a loss of over 10hp with the filter on and told me that was cause for concern. The guy swears by the simple K&N setups. Due to the whistle I hear from the Vararam I know it does cause a little resistance to airflow. Am I losing to much from this filter or is this resistance common with any filter?
    Is the filter clogged?

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

Cleaned and oiled it a month ago. Hope it isn't clogged. I don't know how they aimed the fans though. The shop said I would need a re-tune if I swapped filters

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by dethinboots View Post
    Cleaned and oiled it a month ago. Hope it isn't clogged. I don't know how they aimed the fans though. The shop said I would need a re-tune if I swapped filters
    Could any of the filter oil have made its way onto the MAF, and the MAF not accurate, and the results were random?
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 04-06-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Why they'd run the car without a filter is cause for concern regarding the shop. Are they deliberately trying to introduce shit into the motor?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I won't run an oiled media air filter on anything we own. Stick with a quality paper filter or dry media nano filter.

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

I'll clean the MAF tomorrow just to be safe. I always make sure I don't over oil but who knows at this point. As far as them inducing stuff into the engine. I don't think he was trying to do anything bad on purpose. I think he was so stumped by the original dyno numbers he wanted to see if he could figure it out. Besides for oil fouling the MAF, is there any other reasons you won't run an oiled filter?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Any filter that claims horsepower gains can only do so by allowing more air through the filter and into the motor. More air = more contaminants.

I actually find that pretty interesting. I doubt any oil contamination on the MAF had any barring, and was probably just fine. Since the filter was simply removed and another pull made, and the power jumped, tells me there is nothing wrong with the MAF.

What would be neat is to try a couple of other filter setups and see how that affects the power. 10 HP gain at the rear wheels is significant and would have me trying some other setups.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What Jon said - they simply allow too much dirt to enter the engine. There is a good filter media test on the web and the difference between the oiled media filter and a paper filter is pretty amazing.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

1) was anything else unplugged during the test?

2) is there something in the Varam that is creating an obstruction or turbulence?

3) is the Varam sucking in hot air?
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have never heard of the Vararams having restrictions. I DO know the filers are oval-shaped for hood clearance and the forward-facing end is flat. So, maybe that is what is causing the turbulence? Don't know if they have built-in velocity stacks, either. I know my tuner had the fans aimed directly at the front of my car since the GTOs don't have air dams and the lower grille has ducting directly to the radiator, power steering cooler, front brake ducts. Next time you speak with your tuner, ask if they had the fans aimed DIRECTLY at the front end of the car, as to simulate the car is moving and the air is going directly toward the grilles/engine bay. Just my .$02.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I have never heard of the Vararams having restrictions. I DO know the filers are oval-shaped for hood clearance and the forward-facing end is flat. So, maybe that is what is causing the turbulence? Don't know if they have built-in velocity stacks, either. I know my tuner had the fans aimed directly at the front of my car since the GTOs don't have air dams and the lower grille has ducting directly to the radiator, power steering cooler, front brake ducts. Next time you speak with your tuner, ask if they had the fans aimed DIRECTLY at the front end of the car, as to simulate the car is moving and the air is going directly toward the grilles/engine bay. Just my .$02.
    If there was some crap in he ducting, that would be how I considered the possibility of a restriction.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Agreed.

Thread Information