No C2 corvette LS1 swaps here?

Or are my searching skills just not up to par?

Anyway, I just got a 1998 camaro z28 with a 6 speed, that will be donating it’s organs to my 63 vette. I’m going to have TONS of questions, but wanted to start with, has anyone done something close to a stock frame, LS1 + T56 in a mid year C2 vette? And have they posted any details? (I’m still looking around, found some bits here and there)

I did find these 2 kits with the EXACT same pricing. Are they any good?
    Southern Performance Systems: LS Engine Installation Kit for 1963-1967 Corvette
    MuscleRods 63-67 Corvette LS Conversion Kit

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by yzguyfl View Post
    Or are my searching skills just not up to par?

Anyway, I just got a 1998 camaro z28 with a 6 speed, that will be donating it’s organs to my 63 vette. I’m going to have TONS of questions, but wanted to start with, has anyone done something close to a stock frame, LS1 + T56 in a mid year C2 vette? And have they posted any details? (I’m still looking around, found some bits here and there)

I did find these 2 kits with the EXACT same pricing. Are they any good?
    Southern Performance Systems: LS Engine Installation Kit for 1963-1967 Corvette
    MuscleRods 63-67 Corvette LS Conversion Kit
    I know a guy with a shop in east Tennessee that did one recently. It's an LS3 tho.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

any idea what he used? or if he is on the board? or would mind questions?

LS3 has the same outside dimensions, right? (it would be basically the same swap)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I can't really offer any help on your swap but I will tell you what I would do........while that engine is out I would swap out the rod bolts for ARP bolts since it's a 98.

That was actually going to be another topic of what should I do while the motor is out. So what is wrong with the 98 rod bolts? Just curious.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

GM did 2 or 3 upgrades to rod bolts after 98. They have a tendency to spin bearings. The 98's are felt to be a little more prone since the oil galley on the back of the motor is actually 2 ports instead of 1 big galley. I'm not sure I've ever really noticed any one engine having more problems than another really. When you hear about someone spinning a bearing it could really be any year just about. I would just think that's cheap insurance to do while the engine is out and it's a much easier job with the engine out of the car. I've seen where a few people have done rod bolts with the engine in the car but it's like a monkey and a football if you know what I mean.

Do you plan to mod the engine down the road anywhere? A high flow oil pump wouldn't be a bad idea either although it can be done pretty easy in the car. The o-ring on the pick up tube has given people problems in the past as far as pinching it when bolting the tube back up because you can only half ass get the oil pan to drop so there's not a lot of room to work. It just dawned on me that this is a transplant so you may not have any problems getting the oil pan out depending on clearance to the K member. Just something to think about.

That is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. Was planning on a new oil pump and lifter trays. I think they are plastic? Also may do some performance stuff, like cam and intake and throttle body.

BTW a more appropriate thread for what I should do to the motor
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/while-i...4/#post2928098

this one was more intended to C2 vette stuff, like which motor mounts, what trans mount, where to position the motor, and other clearance things (accessories, brakes, trans tunnel clearance, shifter linkage, clutch mounting.... )
    Last edited by yzguyfl; 05-01-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Thread Information