White
    95 f150

Lsx swap into 95 F150

Hey everyone, I want your input on something. I have a 95 f150. Its a 4.9 5 speed truck that I converted to 4wd last year. The 4.9 is awesome for reliability but I want something with a little more power. I want to do a v8 swap, but maintain the 18+ mpg I get, so I'm kicking the idea around for an ls swap. I want to keep the manual trans, so I was thinking about putting in an nv4500. I'm just looking for input whether or not people think it's worth it, cost, and a parts list if possible.

Thanks.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You should have all sorts of space for making this work. A couple of issues will be: Engine mounting, as you will need a set of swap brackets with a custom interface to the Ford's crossmember. Fuel system, the LS engines will need 58 psi feeding the fuel rails. Engine management, you will either need to pick up an engine that includes the factory harness and PCM, or go with aftermarket pieces. Gauges, the interface with your stock gauges will be a chore or you will need aftermarket gauges and senders. Exhaust, no company makes Ford truck swap headers so you will have to custom fab to the stock manifolds or find headers that can be made to work. There are lots of swap projects out there which means lots of aftermarket support for parts -- just not sure about this combo so it will be a challenge.

White
    95 f150

Thanks for the input. I would have to custom make headers because I have a single manifold being that there is an inline six in there right now, but I see a lot of people swapping 351w heads onto these motors. Does that mean there is a chance that headers from a 351w may work? Also I work at orielly so I will check the psi for my pumps and see if they can be adapted or maybe I can fit a Chevy pump into my tanks. The one thing that concerns me is if my gear box and steering will be compatible. Does any know for sure ?

Thanks again guys

Be prepared to spend some coin.

Fuel system will need upgraded to supply a constant 58 psi reliably if this is going to be a fuel injected LS swap. I prefer the "in tank" pump method which may or may not require some custom fuel tank mods. Depends on what you have to start with.

Headers, yes the 351W headers have the correct spacing at the flange to bolt to the LS heads, but that's as far as it goes. From there the pipes would have to be custom fabbed off the flanges. It's a cheaper way to go, and new 351W flanges can be bought at various suppliers just for swaps like this, but you need some fab skills and a welder. Probably be really hard pressed to find swap headers that just bolt on for an F-150 swap. Personally I'd just run the LS truck manifolds since they fit most swaps, especially trucks with plenty of room, they flow very well for manifolds, simply connect your existing exhaust with new flanges and call it done.

Your biggest and most expensive obstacle will be the trans. Since you've converted to 4WD you didn't mention which transfer case you are running. This poses some swap problems, as well as your trans choice all plays a roll in this.
    You'll be talking to Advance Adapters They make most adapters for various trans and transfer case combo's but it's not cheap. The NV4500 came in various GM and Dodge vehicles with different bolt patterns and gear ratios. Your first obtacle is which trans you have, and then finding adapters to mate it properly to an LS engine. Then buying the correct adapters to make it work with the transfer case you are running. Possibly having a new driveshaft made if you need to move that transfer case fore or aft are just some of the issues that pop up with an LS swap. With a 4x4 that could mean making 2 driveshafts if you move that transfer case and that's about $300 a piece Plus any tunnel or interior fab work that may be needed if you move the transfer case.

You can see how this all creates a domino affect, and 4x4's are the most expensive LS swaps to perform (been down this road). In the end when this is done right with a proper fuel system, computer and electronics (which I didn't even mention yet) All your trans adapters, possible drive shafts etc.....This swap can easily get over and beyond the $7,000 range just in parts to do properly and have yourself reliable transportation. Now you have to ask yourself is a 95 F-150 worth all this trouble?? Personally I think I'd trade that in for an early 2000+ model Silverado 1500 that already has the 5.3 and save yourself alot of headache and money
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-03-2014 at 05:18 AM.

I didn't mean that post to sound like a downer. I'm getting quite a few LS swaps in here lately. Primarily doing these in classic vehicles where the swap and money involved is worth while. When I get asked about swaps just like your example, I tend to try and talk them out of it as the swap cost (just parts alone) is more than the vehicle is even worth. In the case of a truck like this, when 10 year old Silverado's can be bought cheap that are still in very nice shape, I start to question the drivetrain swaps like this.

White
    95 f150

I appreciate your honesty. I have a np205 t-case. I know what the driveshafts cost because I just had one made for my 4wd swap. I don't have the nv4500 yet and I was going to find one out of a 2500hd. My fuel pumps supply enough pressure to feed the ls, so I'm good there. I guess the real expense would be gauges, whether or not my gear box would match up for power steering, and if I can use my t-case. Another thing is I want a 6.0 I don't care for 5.3's. I realize people are making a ton of power out of them but that's not my cup of tea.
    Last edited by thompsj0784; 07-04-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Advance Adapters makes the adapters you need for the NP205 T-case, that's what I used, so you're covered there but it's spendy. The question will be whether it moves the T-case or not which could require more new driveshafts.
    If you're going with a GM NV4500 you may have compatability problems with your NP205 since you have a ford. I know the Dodge NP205's use a different input, not sure about the fords. But the GM NV4500's varied a bit between 2WD and 4WD with either a 32 spline output and some were a fixed yoke. Not sure which NP205 you have since I wasn't even aware Ford kept using the 205's in 1995??? GM stopped using them in the early 80's. Adapters are made to make this stuff work, but it's another expense. Just hard to say what's going to work for sure since we aren't certain of the parts being used for the swap.

6.0's are what I use as well, but getting harder to find with low miles and they are also more spendy than a 5.3

On PS with the older stuff I simply remove the fitting out of the old pump and install in the new pump, I can then use the original PS lines for that particular car. Works on the GM stuff, but since you have a 95 Ford I can't say for sure, I'm just not that familiar with the newer ford trucks.

White
    95 f150

I actually have a bw1356 I was going to put a np205 in. Also, what guages do you run or are there any cluster you are aware of that may work? I plan on trying to run a mega squirt system for the computer and electronics.

Thanks
    Last edited by thompsj0784; 07-04-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Thread Information