Thread: ls1 in a 96 ws6

ls1 in a 96 ws6

Ok I potentially might be buying a very clean black on black, low mileage (56k), 96 ws6 off a buddy of mine. The lt1 motor and 6 speed trans has already been taken out. But the rest of the car is there. I'm looking to buy it off him and then going out to get a ls1 and and 6speed. The car will come with full suspension setup for autocrossing and 17x9/17x11 black zr1's. What would you guys value this car at the way it sits?

Questions are what all is need for the swap other than motor trans computer wiring? I'm gonna assume it will be fairly basic and the k member will stay but may need different motor mounts. Really my major fear is wiring since that is my weak spot when it comes to cars.

But any help is much appreciated

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Maybe $1000 to $1500. And this is if the paint and interior are top notch.

No drive train effects the cost A LOT. My buddy picked same yr Camaro for $500 and is almost finished with his LS1 swap.

Info for swapping a LSx motor over.

Need a LSx K member, the LT1 style will not work with LS setups.
    LS PCM and wire harness. (You can repin the LT PCM and wire harness but it leads to more nightmares over spending the money on a good harness.
    T-56 will need to have a LS front plate and input shaft. (make sure you buy one that is already setup for LS)

Other engine options if you can't find a LS1/6 within budget:

All will fit LS1/6 intakes, accessory drive stuff, headers

5.3 - truck motor that gets close to LS1 numbers
    LQ4 / LQ9's - these are 6 Liter iron blocks (Iron version of LS2), much more options to play with, especially if you're looking at FI in the future and are very plentiful and low cost.

Thanks for the help. I've found a 48k mile complete ls1 motor locally for $2k out of a 2000 z28. Is there any particular year motor I should stay away from? I've read online the 98 have a different harness from the rest and usually I try to stray away from first year production motors/cars anyways. Before installing I would upgrade the oil pump and timing set. Depending on funds maybe even install a cam and supporting mods.

With the donor wiring harness will it be mostly plug and play or will I need to get some wiring diagrams and do a lil splicing and soldering.

Is there a bcm I need to worry about syncing with the donor computer?

I have hp tuners software from my turbo Cavalier day. Will this get me by where I can shut off the securities or will I need to take the computer to someone to do it for me?

The car is virtually spotless. Only flaw I can recall is the front bumper or maybe the hood had slight discoloration from the rest of the car. Interior is all there just torn out. He was in the process of installing a rollcage and then bought a house and lost interest/funding for it. So it's been sitting covered in his garage for 4+ years. He is asking $1000 for it and imo seems like a good deal esp with all the aftermarket suspension and wheels.

Figured for another $4k I could have a really nice running low mileage street car and invest half of what it would cost me to buy a lower mileage 98+ ss/ws6 even though I like those body styles slightly better.

Thanks again

Thread Information