81 malibu ls1 swap

I'm going to do my first ls1 swap into my 81 malibu. It will be a 5.3. With carb conversion. Does anyone have a parts list or tips to send me in the right direction. Thanks everyone

White
    '10 ZR1

I'm certainly not an authority on this, but one of the first things I can think of that's different, is the radiator. If you don't have a complete 'donor' LS car, you won't have the radiator. Since LS engines are reverse cooling, you'll need a different radiator.

Dirty dingo make a good set of LS engine motor mounts. I used them in my '68 Camaro for swapping the LS(5.3) in it.

I guess, in order to answer your question better, what parts do you have currently? If we know what you already have, we can probably help with what you'll need.

Good luck!!!

I have the motor with carb conversion that's all I wanna use the turbo 350 that's in it I just need to know as far as what motor mounts to use and how much offset I need. And if my truck pan will work and how much to notch out my frame. And what radiator to use and hoses. Part numbers would be nice for the hoses. Thanks

Ttt

Actually ls motors are NOT reverse cooling .... The lt1 is reverse.. so your stock radiator should work fine as long is its large enough and in good working order... You'll prob need to start with motor mount plate adaptors and mounts if need be, do some research on the oil pan clearance as well.. that will get it in the hole so to speak..

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Will need an LS convertor for your trans also

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by tomcamaro97 View Post
    Actually ls motors are NOT reverse cooling .... The lt1 is reverse.. so your stock radiator should work fine as long is its large enough and in good working order... You'll prob need to start with motor mount plate adaptors and mounts if need be, do some research on the oil pan clearance as well.. that will get it in the hole so to speak..
    Dang it - I stand corrected. You're right - they are not reverse cooling.......however, the radiators are different. The LS radiator in my LS Camaro has the 'in' and the 'out' on the passenger side - and for my BB Camaro, they are opposite. I still think you need a different radiator.

'89 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car (Mom's car now)

'68 Camaro - 572 coming soon

'67 Nova - 406 SBC, PG

'10 ZR1

When the time comes check out my 71 Chevelle swap thread for almost every wire connection you'll need, or hit me up I've got an excel spreadsheet that's about 98% complete with what hooks up to what. Was made with help from shbox.com. when I put my 98 drive train in my chevelle.... My bad I don't know why I thought you were putting a 98 ls1 in.. but you still way want to check out shoebox he's got a ton of information.. but if your switching to carb you prob won't need much of the electronic stuff.

Re the radiator, just put different hoses on it.. or buy a new one if ya want..
    Last edited by tomcamaro97; 05-01-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Thread Information