Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

1989 IROC 305 TPI/ T5 to 6.0 LQ4/ T56

This is a discussion on 1989 IROC 305 TPI/ T5 to 6.0 LQ4/ T56 within the LSx Retrofit and Swap forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Do you think disconnecting the battery with key turned to on position, reconnecting after 10-15min, then completing a driving cycle ...

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Do you think disconnecting the battery with key turned to on position, reconnecting after 10-15min, then completing a driving cycle might clear things up? Does this reset fuel trims?
    General Motors Driving Cycle

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Don't know if that would do it or not.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

I'll try to read up more on this and give it a shot over the next few days and see what happens.

Ray Charles blue

So when I come out the next time I think we should "test" the rear end. haha

You put a 3.73 in it, right? It should be a fun car....no questions about it.

I wonder if it will make it to the strip clubs. Hrmm.....

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Haha. Ya 3.73's... Haven't really given it a full test yet. Being that the strip club is close to my house, if the test fails, at least we could coast to the titty ranch.:

Ray Charles blue

Titty ranch....lol

They were like some cattle...we mosey in and they come over like we have feed in our pockets.

Hope that puppy is all sorted out.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

The problem still doesn't seem to be solved. I disconnected the battery on negative side with key on for 10min as I read in a bunch of other posts. Then restarted and followed the instructions on the driving cycle. During that time it seemed fine. Stopped at a local parts store to get some oil and a filter, restarted the car, idle was at 2,000 and holding steady. I turned it down on the throttle body and now I'm back to a jumpy idle when coming to a stop. The stumble is still there after a complete stop and acceleration. Going to have to get it on a scanner or something and see what is going on.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

IAC issues? Vacuum leak?

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

They are both a possibility. I am also thinking it may be an O2 problem. The times that it runs bad is at idle and light throttle. On a cold start and WOT it seems to run fine. I think the O2's might be shit and causing the idle to be all over the place. I bought denso's. Chris is coming over with the scanner. I'll let ya know if we find anything out.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Everything during the swap went smooth until I drove it. First of all, I have bled the clutch at least 15 times over the past two weeks. After a long drive I could feel it getting more difficult to get into each gear. Today I tried some quicker shifts under heavy acceleration and it won't go into gear. After each ride, I let it sit for a while, restart and can't get into any gear. I bleed the clutch, small amount of air comes out and fluid is clear. Shifts fine after each bleed. I replace slave and throwout bearing during the install.

Second problem is the erratic idle and stumble. I bought a new MAF and moved it up closer to the throttle body thinking that it was getting turbulant air being close to the elbow connected to the filter. The scanner is still throwing a MAF code.

The idle is still all over the place. Tried multiple times to reset the TPS and I'm getting a reading of 0.8-1.6 on the scanner. My brother's car is reading 0.4 for the TPS. Comparing the fuel trims on both cars, mine are way different. Each time I start the car, the rpms are different. Sometimes they are perfect around 900-950 other times it is jumping all over the place.

Here are some of the numbers that I'm getting with the scanner:
    RPM 1100 (this fluctuates each time I drive the car)
    MAF: 0.30 (Throwing code with replacement)
    MAP 13.6 - 13.9
    IAT 90*
    IGN ADV 26
    LT FTRM1 % -3.9
    ST FTRM1 % -6.3 - -7.0
    LT FTRM2 % 1.6 - 2.3
    ST FTRM2 % 0.0
    02S11 (v) 0.280-0.750
    ST FTRM11 % -5.5 - -7.0
    O2S212 0.450
    02S21 0.925 - 0.940
    ST FTRM21 % 0
    O2S22 (v) 0.440

Any ideas or help with any of these problems would be greatly appreciated. It is starting to get frustrating. I can't even enjoy driving the car!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Can you try it with the old MAF? Is it a GM replacement -- if so, what is the P/N?

Are the mV readings for the front O2 senders cycling rapidly up and down, or are they kind of stagnant?

Here is some MAF idle info I posted in another thread:

The MAF sends its signal to the PCM in Hertz, rather than in volts. Therefore, the yellow wire does not have a measurable voltage output. The easiest thing to do is plug in a scanner and watch the MAF's output. Most scanners will convert the data to grams/second of air flow. At idle, you should see in the range of 5 to 9 grams/second and at 2,500 rpm it should be approximately 20-26 grams/second. Note that these measurements are on a stock engine and that mods affecting airflow will most likely result in somewhat higher readings.

And, if you need a converter for whatever your scanner reads in: Online-Unit-Converter.com - mass-flow-rate. Mass flow rate.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

I don't have the old MAF. The one I have now is a Cardone reman part # 74-8308.

I'll have to check on the O2 readings.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If I recall from my conversations with Frost, there are several MAF p/n's and they all have different outputs. I had a tuning issue with my GM replacement that was due to this and it caused the car to run lean. You'll have to hook up the scanner and see what is happening.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

I have an email sent out to both Frost and Tick to see what kind of input they can give on these issues. The more I think about the clutch, I'm wondering if the heat form the headers is getting the fluid extra hot and causing the shifting problems. Regardless is that is the problem or not, I think it would be a good idea to make some sort of heat shield for the bleeder line. I'm also going to try and readjust the MC today and see what happens. Maybe it's just out of place and not allowing enough fluid to flow. While the kids in my class are busy in the computer lab, I'm reading through forums trying to figure this stuff out.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Clutch issue may hopefully be resolved. I readjusted it and it now seems to go into each gear a lot smoother than I have had it yet. No test drive today since it is pouring. Not sure if I'll get the scan tool on it today to take a closer look at the numbers.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have wrapped a portion of my brake and fuel lines and also the wire harness for my wideband in heat tape. Cheap insurance imo.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Glad you got the shifting fixed! Does the new maf have a screen on it? Maybe getting a new connector for the maf also?

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS6 View Post
    Glad you got the shifting fixed! Does the new maf have a screen on it? Maybe getting a new connector for the maf also?
    The MAF does have a screen. The previous one that I replaced was bought used and had the screen removed.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have wrapped a portion of my brake and fuel lines and also the wire harness for my wideband in heat tape. Cheap insurance imo.
    I think I'll do the same just to have a piece of mind.
    Steve from Frost returned my email and said that the fuel numbers look OK and that the IAT should be ranged first before setting the TPS, which should have voltage near 0.65VDC at hot idle. I'll have to give that another shot. It will definitly need a full tune sooner or later to get everything right.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Moved the MAF farther up the intake, closer to the throttle body. I just needed to cut a bit off of the elbow coming off of the throttle body. Once that was shortened up the sensor fit in there no problem. As for the stumble, it seems to be gone. I think the air was too turbulent being that close to the cone. I cleaned up the IAC and throttle body. Not sure if they were gunked up, but it seems to be running a bit better. I also adjusted the clutch master and the shifts are nice and smooth. Still working the bugs out, I'm sure a good tune will solve the minor problems.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Good to hear! You can always plan on having to work out some kinks on a project, as Murphy always seems to show up.......

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread Information