Rio Red
    1988 Chrysler Conquest

1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI Swap. 4.8 vs 5.3?

Ok, guys and gals I am at a precipice. I have posted before about doing the V8 swap on my little Conquest. She is such a beautiful little ride and was way ahead of it's time in 88'. Here is my issue. I have got the old 2.6 turbo and tranny out of it (Which is for sale btw) and am having trouble deciding what to do. Before having everything out it was a no-brainer. I was going with the 4.8 LR4 LS based engine. Now that I am close to doing the actual swap my mind is splitting hairs. I am having the devils own job of trying to decide between the 4.8 and the 5.3. I have tried reading up and decipher the differences but am not having much luck in making my decision. I am hoping there are a few GM V8 Gurus floating around this evening to help me out. Could a few of you give me your opinions of which you would choose and why? I am going to start out with a F.A.S.T. LSXRT intake, have the heads reworked, .590 lift cam, headers and exhaust. According to Super Chevy Mag this should produce 476hp with the 4.8 and near 500hp with the 5.3. The output shafts and rear differential are supposedly good up to 650hp. Now, here is where it gets tricky. In the future when budget allows I will be adding a turbo charger system to either the 4.8 or the 5.3 so I would really like to keep the end product less than 600hp at the flywheel. As stupid as it sounds I want to keep the :"TSI", "Turbo Sport Intercooled" in the car name true. Now all that being said if you were going to do the swap which engine would you choose and what reason would you choose that one? FYI I wanted to stay under 5.7 liters to keep the car unusual, they are both a LOT of bang for the buck, and also hopefully make for more room under the hood (I know it wont amount to much realistically). Thanks guys and I look forward to your opinions.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As far as I know, externally there are no differences between the two engines. A couple of guys have dropped 5.3's into their F-bodies for replacement engines, but for your application I don't know if I would have a preference. They are both "truck engines" for the most part and would have the same oil pan and alternator setup. Here is an info thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/wealth-...worthy-132389/

Thread Information