Black
    1999 TransAmSexual

Z06 Clutch VS. Centerforce Dual Friction

I put in a Centerforce dual friction clutch in my 1990 mustang that i had about 7 years ago, and it worked absouletely amazing!

So when the time came to put a new clutch in my Firehawk, i did the same. But I was really dissapointed with the results it gave for the trans am! I noticed the clutch petal pressure was alot harder and the clutch it self (after broken in properly) didnt perform as well after a year of use, it seemed to slip ALOT in the second year of using it. I was using stock flywheel that i had to replace when the centerforce finally burnt out.

I then replaced the stock flywheel (had to) and centerforce dual friction with a stock z06 clutch set and a aluminum flywheel and i also replaced the slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder (with drill mod). The petal pressure after install felt amazingly light and the clutch grip was ALOT better, chirping 3rd gear all day long is not a problem (even at the third year of the z06 clutch). The only thing i notice is that the z06 clutch seems to heat up faster and will slip if you slip the clutch on very hard launches (like launching a AWD car).

I suppose the clutch master cylinder may have been to blame for the lack of performance of the centerforce, but next time im gonna try something else... My $.02

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Nice Review.

I don't think the Centerforce clutches work nearly as well with our hydraulic systems as they do with the old style cable clutches. Hence the reason you had good luck with the one in your Mustang, but didn't like the one on your T/A.

Personally I think the hydraulic systems are a PITA, I'd rather have a cable clutch any day. Never have to worry about replacing the master or slave, no leaks, no bleeding the system, no air in the lines, no bull. The hydraulic systems seem to be vey picky about the type of clutch you use, the stock GM clutches seem to be the only ones that actually work without issues and last long term.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

Black
    1999 TransAmSexual

Ahh well said.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Never had a problem with my Centerforce Dual Friction in my 97"SS".
    Before I bought the car, the CFDF was in the car for 30,000 miles! I put only a disk in at 100,000 miles, car got totaled at 136,000 miles. Pulled the clutch, and it was fine!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

ls6 or ls7 clutch? and 1 more time explain what you did to make it so great... It just wasn't really clear to me the first time, sorry.
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 02-21-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Nice Review.

I don't think the Centerforce clutches work nearly as well with our hydraulic systems as they do with the old style cable clutches. Hence the reason you had good luck with the one in your Mustang, but didn't like the one on your T/A.

Personally I think the hydraulic systems are a PITA, I'd rather have a cable clutch any day. Never have to worry about replacing the master or slave, no leaks, no bleeding the system, no air in the lines, no bull. The hydraulic systems seem to be vey picky about the type of clutch you use, the stock GM clutches seem to be the only ones that actually work without issues and last long term.
    Sorry Wesman, don't mean to argue with you, but the centrifical weights have nothing to do with a cable , hydralic, or standard, mechanical clutch. They all push and pull the same way, its the effort that is different.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Sorry Wesman, don't mean to argue with you, but the centrifical weights have nothing to do with a cable , hydralic, or standard, mechanical clutch. They all push and pull the same way, its the effort that is different.
    Nahh man you had the clutch, not me, I'm just going by what feedback I've heard from People who had Centerforce clutches on F-Bodies. If you had good luck with yours though, I'm glad to hear it. There always seems to be someone coming on and complaining (more so on LS1Tech) that their Centerforce Clutch is chatters or burned up in 3K miles, which is why I drew that conclusion. Seems that having a different setup with the size/depth of the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate could mal adjust the hydaulic throwout and its travel, ect, but if you had no probs with it then thats good.

I also remember reading that the counterweights put a ton of stress on the T/O and slave when you shift at high RPM's since the Pressure plate is so hard to disengage, but I dunno, maybe thats not true. I still have my stock LS1 clutch, when/if it goes I'll probably go with an LS6/LS7 setup I think.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Yeah, I really want to drive an F-Body with an LS6/LS7 setup to see what their like. I have heard alot of good about them.

Black
    1999 TransAmSexual

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Nahh man you had the clutch, not me, I'm just going by what feedback I've heard from People who had Centerforce clutches on F-Bodies. If you had good luck with yours though, I'm glad to hear it. There always seems to be someone coming on and complaining (more so on LS1Tech) that their Centerforce Clutch is chatters or burned up in 3K miles, which is why I drew that conclusion. Seems that having a different setup with the size/depth of the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate could mal adjust the hydaulic throwout and its travel, ect, but if you had no probs with it then thats good.

I also remember reading that the counterweights put a ton of stress on the T/O and slave when you shift at high RPM's since the Pressure plate is so hard to disengage, but I dunno, maybe thats not true. I still have my stock LS1 clutch, when/if it goes I'll probably go with an LS6/LS7 setup I think.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my centerforce had mad chatter too! The "z06" is nice and smooooth...

black
    1999 C5 corvette

i had the dual friction in my 99vette with around 400rwhp for about a year and worked fine, but ONE week after i went to a 408 stroker and 500rwhp it blew up on the street racing my brother in third gear. now i have a spec stage 3 and all is well. thanks bubba

Black
    1999 TransAmSexual

Quote Originally Posted by bubbals1 View Post
    i had the dual friction in my 99vette with around 400rwhp for about a year and worked fine, but ONE week after i went to a 408 stroker and 500rwhp it blew up on the street racing my brother in third gear. now i have a spec stage 3 and all is well. thanks bubba
    So, how is the spec 3 for daily driver with about 335rwhp?
    Smooth?
    Stiff petal pressure?
    Overkill?

black
    1999 C5 corvette

it takes a loooooong time to get used to, i have it down, but still gets on my nerves everynow and then. 335hp is just the start, so i would suggest go with a clutch that can handle at least 600hp. i never thought i would have this much HP. this is my fourth clutch, counting the stock clutch. go with a good one and save the money it cost me to get all of mine changed out everytime i broke one. good luck bubba

Black
    1999 TransAmSexual

Quote Originally Posted by bubbals1 View Post
    it takes a loooooong time to get used to, i have it down, but still gets on my nerves everynow and then.
    Why did it take time to get used to? Does it grab alot or chatter?
    Why does it get on ur nerves?

black
    1999 C5 corvette

no never chattered, but if you dont give it just the perfect amount of gas, then you either bog down, buck, or burn out. stop and go traffic is a bitch. but for the money i cant complain too much. i didnt want to spend $1500+ on the clutch alone. i had to get a mcloud adjustable slave cylinder, bubba

Thread Information