Thread: Wavetrac

WHITE
    2002 Z28

Wavetrac

Installed a 35 spline Wavetrac, used Yukon Aluminum thru bolt center and 411 gears with Moser axles and housing. I expected it to be just a little rough, especially with 35 spline axles, but it was extremely smooth riding. I have a Spec 3 clutch with an LS6 under the hood and the Wavetrac with 411 gears complemented them very well. It feels almost like riding in an automatic even though it is a T56.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by spordee1 View Post
    Installed a 35 spline Wavetrac, used Yukon Aluminum thru bolt center and 411 gears with Moser axles and housing. I expected it to be just a little rough, especially with 35 spline axles, but it was extremely smooth riding. I have a Spec 3 clutch with an LS6 under the hood and the Wavetrac with 411 gears complemented them very well. It feels almost like riding in an automatic even though it is a T56.
    sounds like some serious upgrades...lets see some pics of that thing!!...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Congrats. I've heard a lot of good things about the Wavetrac. When and if my TruTrac goes, I might look into that set-up.

WHITE
    2002 Z28

wavetrac

I will try and get pics up soon, I still have to work on TA and LCA'S and a few other things. My engine builder did all of the work, now I will have to go to my local garage will take care of the small adjustments.

WHITE
    2002 Z28

Torque arm

Installed tunnel mount torque arm, removed factory torque arm from transmission. I could feel every vibration and metal on metal turned it into sound with the tunnel mount. I went back and installed one-quarter inch neoprene under the mount and once again my wavetrac is nice and smooth. At times you can feel the 35 spline when you put it into gear, but my car is still totally a DD. In fact with the 411 gear, it is very enjoyable with 3rd and 4th gear excelleration when just driving around.

Mag Red
    1999 Covette

what does that posi cost?

WHITE
    2002 Z28

wavetrac

ballpark figures, $1000.00 - wavetrac differential to moser, $600.00 axles to moser, 9" housing w/ LCA brackets, painted, ends, TA mount, $500.00 LS1 TECH, Aluminum center $325.00 - Yukon, $150.00 for 411 ring & pinion gear - ebay, pinion support $80.00, yoke $100.00. $200.00 for used DS at LS1 TECH, basically I spent $4k with labor and TA and mount, sway bar, and still considering LCAs and panhard bar.
    I did find one neat trick, the tunnel mount brought all of the vibrations into the car after I removed the factory TA from the transmission. I put one quarter inch of rubber between the car and the mount. eliminated 95 percent of the noise and vibration.
    last, I have 400 RWHP, I have never enjoyed driving the car so much as with 411 gears and a Spec 3 clutch. I have plans to drop an LS3 in the next year.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What was your source for the neoprene bushings? I also have some noise transmitted into the cabin from my tunnel mount. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't mind toning it down just a bit.

WHITE
    2002 Z28

Neoprene bushings

I was trying to explain to my mechanic about the bushings, and he went in the back and found some old fan belts and doubled them up. He had not heard about tunnel mount vibration or rubber bushings under the mount. Metal is an excellent conductor of sound vibration. But long story short, home made or store bought, either will work very well. Mine were home made.

Thread Information