Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awaiting Activation

VFN HOODS "Buyers beware

I would have posted this in the sponser issue section but I dont beleve they are sponsers here, So here is some free advice/info.

After reading all the great posts on VFN hoods we decided to order one for my brothers Camaro, 6 weeks later and $198.00 for shipping from Illinois to Iowa (got screwed there also) I finally got the thing, well here it is, this car is a 2 owner never wreaked Camaro w/61,000 miles. After finally finding a body shop that would attempt adjusting it this is the best we got after 4 hrs, now remember VFN claims they fit like original, just some minor prep work and paint required, what a F%$#ing joke this hood is, So for all you guys that work hard for your money, and dont want to waste over $ 700.00+ shipping, look for your self. When we spoke to VFN they said send us some photos, and we will have a rep call and walk you through the adjustment, so basicly the body shop whos been in bussines for 20 years dont have a clue...lol

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I moved this to a more appropriate forum.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Holly Crap!

I'd be pissed too...

arctic white
    97 firebird

wtf man id forget the 700 for another id return it and get a plain ticket and beat some ass

Silver

WOW! talk about warped material...im sure that didnt happen during shipment either...I would def be driving my car there and letting them personally make me a new one.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

its a common problem with aftermarket hoods not fitting correctly.
    to me its better to spend a few hundred and get a oem ram air hood.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

98 Formula
    06 duramax

something else to keep in mind is to give them a chance to make it right. I've never dealt with vfn but I also would give them the opportunity to make it right before slandering them. For what it's worth I've had the last 2 body shops that've done work for me screw it up and both were in business for 20+ years.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

I have a vfn and i test fit it before paint and it fit perfect. I have it just sitting on the car now. sorry to hear about yours!

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

My Sunoco fit exactly like yours did when I first put it on.

You have to grind grooves (turn the holes into slots) in the bracket attached to the hinge so that the hood has more freedom of motion for adjustment.

I'm sure you have already done so but make sure all of your rubber stops are as low as possible, there are 4.

After grinding the screw holes downard I was able to flush the hood on the windshield end and center the hood in the front. On the front edge, my hood is slightly high on the left side and low on the right. I used the rubber bumper on the front right to try and level the hood as best I could. It is barely noticeable.

Some can make a hood fit better than others. At first I was highly pissed about not getting it to fit right but it is an aftermarket hood and requires some tinkering and should not be expected to fit as an OEM piece. VFN is good but they are definitely not OEM good.

When the hood is on the car, pop it up and loosen the screws just enough that you can move the hood a little bit, you can adjust it and tighten the screws down again, close the hood and see where youre at. Once you get it lined up you can adjust the latch to control how high the front sits. Since there are already slots on the latch bracket, this is much easier. Continue to make adjustments as needed and if you get frustrated, just step away from it. This is not a quick job!

Take a deep breath and try this stuff out before you escalate the issue. Not to say VFN won't produce a defective hood, I'm sure it happens; just keep in mind that none of the work posted above will change the hood itself and is still returnable within 30 days per VFN's return policy.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    My Sunoco fit exactly like yours did when I first put it on.

You have to grind grooves (turn the holes into slots) in the bracket attached to the hinge so that the hood has more freedom of motion for adjustment.

I'm sure you have already done so but make sure all of your rubber stops are as low as possible, there are 4.

After grinding the screw holes downard I was able to flush the hood on the windshield end and center the hood in the front. On the front edge, my hood is slightly high on the left side and low on the right. I used the rubber bumper on the front right to try and level the hood as best I could. It is barely noticeable.

Some can make a hood fit better than others. At first I was highly pissed about not getting it to fit right but it is an aftermarket hood and requires some tinkering and should not be expected to fit as an OEM piece. VFN is good but they are definitely not OEM good.

When the hood is on the car, pop it up and loosen the screws just enough that you can move the hood a little bit, you can adjust it and tighten the screws down again, close the hood and see where youre at. Once you get it lined up you can adjust the latch to control how high the front sits. Since there are already slots on the latch bracket, this is much easier. Continue to make adjustments as needed and if you get frustrated, just step away from it. This is not a quick job!

Take a deep breath and try this stuff out before you escalate the issue. Not to say VFN won't produce a defective hood, I'm sure it happens; just keep in mind that none of the work posted above will change the hood itself and is still returnable within 30 days per VFN's return policy.

I hope this helps, good luck.

THANK YOU! Looks as if thats my option at this point...

As for there return policy, yep they return it ok, if you pay the shipping ($198.00), seems to me there product is the issue, maybee they should pay to return it. But I will give your ideas above a try.
    Last edited by oldskoolrcr; 08-13-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

i'm getting ready to go through the same thing. i just turned in my vfn hood to be painted and will also have it installed by the same shop. will post the results good or bad, i don't think vfn should advertise OEM fitment since they custom make each order. but they are a pretty good company with a good rep so i'm not gonna take it to personal if the shop has to mess around a bit to get it to fit right. i ordered some pre cut FRC's and when it came time to install the other day i ended up having to pull the dremel out and make a little more room for the dip stick. that doesn't mean i should post negative feedback to the guy from ebay that i got them from. if it wasn't meant to be on the car originally, then it might be a pain in the ass to get it to fit right or even look right. good luck with your hood bro, but keep in mind that there's pros and cons for these kind of things.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Looks like it needs a little more adjusting. Some of the lines look right on, it just needs to come down a little to be better.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolrcr View Post
    I would have posted this in the sponser issue section but I dont beleve they are sponsers here, So here is some free advice/info.

After reading all the great posts on VFN hoods we decided to order one for my brothers Camaro, 6 weeks later and $198.00 for shipping from Illinois to Iowa (got screwed there also) I finally got the thing, well here it is, this car is a 2 owner never wreaked Camaro w/61,000 miles. After finally finding a body shop that would attempt adjusting it this is the best we got after 4 hrs, now remember VFN claims they fit like original, just some minor prep work and paint required, what a F%$#ing joke this hood is, So for all you guys that work hard for your money, and dont want to waste over $ 700.00+ shipping, look for your self. When we spoke to VFN they said send us some photos, and we will have a rep call and walk you through the adjustment, so basicly the body shop whos been in bussines for 20 years dont have a clue...lol
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

should have done some research, i bought mine from ramairhood.com came painted to oem spec, and fit like a glove.........perfect

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    should have done some research, i bought mine from ramairhood.com came painted to oem spec, and fit like a glove.........perfect
    I wish I would have done more research, Dam It! Your va lucky guy no to have to deal with this shit and VFN's BULLSHIT.

Blue
    1999 Camaro SS A4

Never a problem with mine. Spent 15 min adjusting it. It was a bit wavy, compared to OEM SS hood, but it fiberglass (not SMC ) and 20lbs lighter. A little spray poly and time blocking and it's straight as an arrow. Maybe you just got a bad one. VFN seemed really easy to work with, I hope they do something for you.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight99ss View Post
    Never a problem with mine. Spent 15 min adjusting it. It was a bit wavy, compared to OEM SS hood, but it fiberglass (not SMC ) and 20lbs lighter. A little spray poly and time blocking and it's straight as an arrow. Maybe you just got a bad one. VFN seemed really easy to work with, I hope they do something for you.
    Well at this point all I wanted was some of there installation articals emailed to me, they said they were going to email them to me 2 days ago, I suppose I need to buy them also, you may have gotton a good one, must be nice. Hopefully the GlassTech fits nicer.

We have tried working with this customer.
    He is nearly impossible to work with, if you read the thread he is posting on.
    Here are some "examples" of his "working with us" on the other thread:

when you call the company for some type of resolution you get "well sends us photos, and we will have a tech call you to fit it" WTF are they talking about.

LOOK the dam thing is preped and going to be painted, are you telling me we can not ajust it after paintWTF, I knew the offer did not stand, when it is done and I have follwed you instructions 150% and if it still fits like shit, then we can move on to your next set of excuess's. you had a comback for every answer I gave you. So just email me the Dam paper work. I dont give a shit what you or anyone thinks about this we have worked hard over the years for our money, and we are going to get what is told we are getting. So that is the plan from here on out. Enjoy your vaction on us and every other person whom has bought your products, weather they are satisfied or not.

have said I know the refund was void when I decided to paint it, actually it was viod when I called them, but we will let them use the paint thing. The hood fits like SHIT and the quality in my eyes is SHIT, now and I am will to bet when it is all done and we have spent hours trying to adjust per VFNs instr. It will be void still, but now because we painted it not because it dont fit, again I am a hardheaded asshole Thank you, but I am willing to give it a shot as I have no other options now or as soon as I hung the phone up with VFN.

There's much more posted, but it would be a long thread if I posted everything.

Basically what it breaks down to is: customer purchases hood, customer bashes our company PRIOR to contacting us about the problem, when customer contacts our company about the fitment issues, we tell him to send pictures of the hood on the car including an overall view so that we can have a visual on what is going on and help him fit the item.
    Customer calls YELLING at us for over a 1/2 hour, telling us that we want to teach his body guy a lesson, that he is going to paint the hood regardless of the fact that we asked him not to because it voids out warranty. This is the reason why he would need to pay the additional shipping to return back to us.

We even offered to stop WHILE ON OUR VACATION to fit his hood, and in return asked for a place to stay for the night, which he refused initially and continued to yell and bash us. When he offered it again a day or two later, because of the way he deals with problems, we retracted the offer.

Instead, we offered that if he comes to our shop, we would fit the hood for him, for free...If we could NOT get the hood to fit, we would give him a hotel room and a Giordano's stuffed pizza, but if we DID GET it to fit, that he would owe us the same.
    This was the same offer that he was going to take us up on, minus the pizza.
    Which he did not take us up on.

This customer has had problems with other sponsors on that forum and decided to handle them the same way - by bashing them without giving them a chance to resolve it.

Now because the sponsors/members know what he is doing, he's moving on to another board to do the same.
    Which is not getting the problem resolved.

We sent him an article from a magazine that will guide him through the installation process - which he fails to mention. The adjustments mentioned in this thread are generally what are needed to fit our hoods, and we tried to walk him through this but he only wants to comment that its not going to fit no matter what he does. but yet he is going ahead with paint, and then he will try it again

We have no problem holding up our end of our warranty and helping our customers. Problem here is that this guy does not wish to correct this situation and just wishes to moan and complain.
    If he would just follow the instructions both on here, and the ones we sent to him, he would be in good shape.

He bashes so much on the other forum, that the mods are considering either banning him or adding him to a "do not sell to" list. These sponsors even include Billet Wheels!! among others. Which he did the same, did not wish to work with the sponsors, and continued to complain and bash instead of getting the problem fixed.

If you are a sponsor on this forum, I would think 2x before selling him anything.
    I don't know what he expects this bashing to do, but he asks for free stuff...return shipping, pay 1/2 my paint job, in the Billet case, refund the drag brake expense I had to incur...everything is going in the trash, he spends hard earned money, but yet can afford to not get the item to fit correctly by following instructions and going to purchase another hood from another company - which he will have to adjust as well.

I wanted to step in here, and explain this. Because all you will hear from this guy is a one-sided rant. Funny Thing is In His Private messages he claims he just wants this to be over and he's tired of all the drama, but since then posted here to start it all over again

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

that's a drag. i purchased the same hood from them and had a guy fit it for me. yes there are a few MINOR alignment issues that you don't even notice unless you are looking for them...granted not as bad as yours. overall i am very happy with mine and i feel that they make a good product. my body man told me that aftermarket fiberglass hoods never fit exactly perfect like an original hood does.

sorry to hear about your bum luck and disappointment.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    that's a drag. i purchased the same hood from them and had a guy fit it for me. yes there are a few MINOR alignment issues that you don't even notice unless you are looking for them...granted not as bad as yours. overall i am very happy with mine and i feel that they make a good product. my body man told me that aftermarket fiberglass hoods never fit exactly perfect like an original hood does.

sorry to hear about your bum luck and disappointment.
    Thanx for the input, I am glad you got the good one of the bunch. well see what the finall results are.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

just had mine put on today. they ended up taking off three of the bumpers and it settled in fine. mabey the body shop you went to couldn't figure it out, or mabey you just got a crappy hood. i would try adjusting all the bumpers all the way down and then go from there. or start taking them off were you see fit and see if that helps. good luck bro

Thread Information