Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Turn One power steering pump

I just installed the Turn One pump and pulley in my car.

The reason for the swap was because I had a leak (never confirmed from where). After inspecting the off-going parts, it appeared that maybe the pressure side o-ring was worn out (it was deformed, but not torn/cracked). Also, the leak seemed to bypass the alternator: all the fluid was collecting under the car on the lines and tubes (and some on the bottom of the alternator), but the top of the alternator was clean when I got the pump off.

The packaging came with new clips to attach the new pump to the old reservoir, and an o-ring for the pump-to-reservoir connection. However, there is a second o-ring that needs replacing, found on the pressure line that connects to the passenger side of the pump. That small one did not come with the new pump, so I had to track it down. Took me hours and hours of driving all over town (and out of town) to find the part: the auto parts store folk were not confident that the stuff they had on hand was the right material for the fluid involved. Eventually, on my way home empty handed, I saw a Chevy dealership and pulled in there. The parts counter guy had the little o-ring but not the big one. So, I bought it for $7.09 plus tax and went on home. The job itself would have taken me 90 to 120 minutes, but I spent about 2.5 hours driving around looking for this little o-ring. In any case, if you ever decide to get a new pump, make sure you have all the O-rings before you start.

There were no instructions included with the pump.

As for the pump itself, online reviews say that the pump changes the flow characteristics of the fluid in such a way as to reduce the steering assist, while also keeping things cooler, and robbing less horsepower.

I drove the car to work today (55 miles), and I notice NO difference compared to the stock set up. It is literally exactly the same (there may even be a placebo effect which makes me feel that the assist has been increased, because sometimes it felt that way--although, it could be on account of there actually being an adequate amount of fluid lately). I do not get any more communication through the suspension/steering wheel, either. I like the pulley, and if I ever need access to the pump again it will cut about 10 minutes off the removal process, so that is nice, but as for the benefits it is supposed to yield, I do not see them.

Years ago, the power steering belt on my Toyota pick up 4-banger broke. It was a PITA to park, but it was FUN FUN FUN to drive through the winding mountain roads of the Sepulveda pass and canyons in Malibu. There was a major increase in driver confidence as I felt way more connected to the pavement (I didn't know at the time that the communication was muffled through the power steering, but I definitely felt the difference after the belt broke). I get no such sensation with this new pump. It literally feels exactly the same as stock.

After I bought it, I realized that it was a re-tuned stock pump. Realizing that I could have bought a stock pump for much less, I would say that it is NOT worth paying a premium for this one (since there is no difference in quality--it's literally a stock part that has been "worked"). I might have splurged for the pulley, though. However, getting the stock pulley off is not really all that hard, either, but at least this way, I don't ever have to put a pulley back on.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Turn One power steering pump

I wish you would have asked me. I would have told you to just get the Turn One pulley.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah. I browsed your thread.

I read some articles on GM High Performance and some other threads, too. I didn't come up with any "negatives" (or neutrals, as the case may be) so I went ahead with it. All in all, I have no complaints so far. Just thought I'd be getting something more specialized when I bought it. Live and learn...
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Upgrades are always a live and learn type deal. I have had a few purchases that did not work out as planned over the years.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Upgrades are always a live and learn type deal. I have had a few purchases that did not work out as planned over the years.
    That’s why we have the website, and each other, right?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

UPDATE!!!

I recently had my car in the shop for a transmission swap (more on that in another post). Before taking it to the shop, I was under it for an oil change and noticed that the tie rod boots were wet on the bottom. I thought it might be left over residue from the power steering leak, but asked them to check it out anyway. Turns out my steering rack was leaking. After some reading, I learned that a leaking steering rack can be related to a loss of power steering fluid (or something like that), which is what has lead me to write this update.

We wound up ordering a Turn 1 rebuilt steering rack (which I think they build to their own specs).

Now that the steering rack is fixed, and with the new Turn One pump on the car, the steering feels much tighter. It feels like I'm driving a more expensive car than what I really am. I can't say that it "handles" any different (some articles claim that a Turn One pump will increase the communication from the tires due to less power assist), but it definitely takes more deliberate effort to turn the wheel. I prefer the stiffer steering feel. It's not by any means overly stiff. Just enough that it actually feels kinda premium... if that makes any sense. When combined with the new transmission, the car feels much newer than it actually is.

My revised opinion is that the Turn One power steering pump along with the steering rack makes for a nice upgrade in the driving feel/experience, but only if those parts need to be replaced (or you just want to upgrade). Definitely not a must have, but for the cost, it's a no-brainer when the time to replace comes up.

black
    1998 trans am convertible

amen. i've learn that one's success doesn't always translate into yours. not able to do for myself i've relied on people who talked a good show but could not deliver.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by DADCRUISER View Post
    amen. i've learn that one's success doesn't always translate into yours. not able to do for myself i've relied on people who talked a good show but could not deliver.
    Me too. I try to do for myself when I can (read: have no need to commute, which is rare). But when I do, there are usually far more complications than any amount of research can prepare me for. I have a dozen tools that I may never use again on account of "doing for myself."

Thread Information