Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

eBay "Option Racing" Headers review

This is a discussion on eBay "Option Racing" Headers review within the Parts Review forums, part of the Sponsors Group Pricing and Parts Review category; Originally Posted by Spaz 2001's don't have the EGR system... so your best bet is to have some one take ...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    2001's don't have the EGR system... so your best bet is to have some one take off the egr tube and weld a patch over it...
    so my 2001 ss does not have the egr system on it? i know this may sound dumb just wanna make sure cause im getting ready to order my headers and ory in the next month or so.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
    so my 2001 ss does not have the egr system on it? i know this may sound dumb just wanna make sure cause im getting ready to order my headers and ory in the next month or so.
    2001 and 2002 LS1 fbodies did not have the EGR from the factory. You are EGR free

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    don't cheap on the tune....won't get the gains out of the headers you're looking for without the tune. It's a very common thing for people to cheap out on the tuning side of it but truth be told that's where most of your gains will be. I'd be curious to see what a car with a tune would dyno vs one with headers and no tune.....bet it'd be closer than you think.
    trust me the tune is definatly in my things to do very soon. most likey around FEB, during TAX season, OH YEAH!!

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    2001 and 2002 LS1 fbodies did not have the EGR from the factory. You are EGR free
    So GM just didnt put EGR in after 2001? does that effect the AIR as well or what, im lost. im confussesssed, im a noob.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    So GM just didnt put EGR in after 2001? does that effect the AIR as well or what, im lost. im confussesssed, im a noob.
    right....no need for egr in the 01-02 models but that has no correlation to the a.i.r. system. 2 completely different systems.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    right....no need for egr in the 01-02 models but that has no correlation to the a.i.r. system. 2 completely different systems.
    So then how would this affect my 98 if i got rid of EGR/AIR systmes?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you'll have to get a tune to remove the codes or your check engine light will be on which really doesn't hurt anything. The other part of it is the timing adder table for the egr.....that will have to be zero'd out or you'll most likely get some tip in knock retard.

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

I was just browsing through Summit's website looking for a y pipe and found that these ebay headers look exactly like the Flowtech headers with some minor differences from the collector back. They also had a handy installation guide that may be helpful to some of you guys like me that havn't installed them yet.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BI...T/?image=large

Red
    98 Trans Am

Got the OBX headers in today. They look good. The EGR/AIR provisions are all there and look pretty desent. Pics will follow. The welds look alright. Its Stainless alright. Heavey SOB's i tell ya but worth it. So far they delivered what they sold me. It does look pretty nice. My brother-in-law said we should mount them on the shop walls, they look really good. They could have done a better job on the apearance of the EGR tubes but other than that they are ok, im going to for go the "falling off" problem and weld a support tab on the passenger side egr tubes. Flanges are thick as hell. Jesus. Im going to measure tomorrow and see what the ACTUAL measurements are. Im sil debating on the y-pipe. I want it to be stainless as well now. might as well. I got the expensive part already . I might fab my own.. not sure yet. I could do it... but im entirly too lazy right now besides, its snowing in wisconsin right now and i cant do too much anyway.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Chalk up another busted EGR tube, my friend thought he had a gasket leak, but instead he found out today that the tube busted off.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    Chalk up another busted EGR tube, my friend thought he had a gasket leak, but instead he found out today that the tube busted off.
    Wow, this is not encouraging!!! I have some in the garage waiting to be installed.......hmmmmmm......maybe you do get what you pay for. So....what's the percentage of broken EGR tubes for these things?!

Sunfire Yellow
    02 Collector Edition T/A

Wow, I just found this thread and I was considering getting shorties for CA. emissions reasons only but aside from the egr falling off I'm eagerly waiting to hear and see pics of these headers installed.

PLEASE someone post some pics showing ground clearance and or clearance issues!!!!

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LS2GTO View Post
    Wow, I just found this thread and I was considering getting shorties for CA. emissions reasons only but aside from the egr falling off I'm eagerly waiting to hear and see pics of these headers installed.

PLEASE someone post some pics showing ground clearance and or clearance issues!!!!
    Mine just came yesterday and holy crap, you would not believe the quality for the money. I paid almost $500 for a set of Hooker Super Comps for my old car and these top those in looks and quality 10 fold. Even reading all the posts I was still a little skeptical. If you buy them and don't like them (which I would find hard to believe) I'm sure it would not be hard to off them on this site. I don't know how well they fit yet but how bad could they be? $190 to my door, I'll hang them on my wall if nothing else. I read most of this thread and everyone that bought them had very little to no fitment issues at all. I would not use shorties, that's what I have now and did not notice a power gain at all. From what I have researched the stock manifolds are pretty efficient for stock to mild bolt-ons. Go long tubes, you will end up with them any way!

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

where is everyone still getting these??? i have option racing as a favorite seller on ebay, and looked all over their site and store and they dont sell them for the ls1's or f bods now

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...Q5fAccessories

Not Option but still looks same and nice price.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    where is everyone still getting these??? i have option racing as a favorite seller on ebay, and looked all over their site and store and they dont sell them for the ls1's or f bods now
    Go to JVT racing on ebay. They sell them and one auction is for like $160.00 shipped!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcuffs View Post
    Mine just came yesterday and holy crap, you would not believe the quality for the money. I paid almost $500 for a set of Hooker Super Comps for my old car and these top those in looks and quality 10 fold. Even reading all the posts I was still a little skeptical. If you buy them and don't like them (which I would find hard to believe) I'm sure it would not be hard to off them on this site. I don't know how well they fit yet but how bad could they be? $190 to my door, I'll hang them on my wall if nothing else. I read most of this thread and everyone that bought them had very little to no fitment issues at all. I would not use shorties, that's what I have now and did not notice a power gain at all. From what I have researched the stock manifolds are pretty efficient for stock to mild bolt-ons. Go long tubes, you will end up with them any way!
    Good to hear man....They look awesome don't they! Word of advice though; If I were you I would take the passenger side header to a weld shop and have that weak egr extended tube reinforced with additional welding.... I just took mine in today......this way you nor I don't have to deal with this issue of it breaking!! If anyone else agrees chime in!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    That would be the passenger side right? Has to be because my ps header extended egr tube is weak....I mean it even moves if you barely push on it with your hand!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    The EGR pipe on the passenger side broke off today, easy fix tho. Lifted the car up, and was able to weld the hole shut whithout taking the header off. Thats the only negative i have with these headers..
    Yeah, I'm glad you posted this info Sarge91......I've been worried about this very issue. Ordered my SS LT's a month ago and I finally took the passenger side header in today to have an additional support piece welded onto that WEAK tube. Hopefully this will prevent further headaches down the road.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    That would be the passenger side right? Has to be because my ps header extended egr tube is weak....I mean it even moves if you barely push on it with your hand!
    Yep. My friend just had them weld a patch over it. He doesn't have EGR anyways

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information