Thread: Caliper Paint

Midnight Blue
    99' Trans Am

Caliper Paint

I just purchased the dupli color caliper painting kit. It looks great, but it was a bitch to sand the front calipers. The paint applies smooth and drys pretty quick. It was only $20 dollars. My car is midnight blue and it matches great if I wash my car. Here is a pic, but my digital camera sucks.

Red
    02 Z28 A4

Looking good, I just painted my calipers yesterday. Did you use the brush on kit or spray? I love the brush on kit, it makes it alot easier to apply a good coat of paint.
    Coming soon- Fresh squeezed juice in a 10lb bottle. NX style!!!

who's the brush on made by?

Midnight Blue
    99' Trans Am

I used the spray kit. I put three coats just to make sure I didn't miss a spot. The high temp. paint drys pretty fast.

Red
    02 Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_noma
    who's the brush on made by?

The brush on I got was dupli-color caliper painting kit. I bought one from advance auto parts about 3-4 years ago for my grand am for $15. I bought the black paint kit, now the local advance dont carry the black only yellow blue and red I think. I found the black kit I just bought from a guy on ebay that bought the wrong color kit and decided to ebay it lol. Here is a link to the kits online. Some places want up to $30 for them.

http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/du...iperpaint.html

orange for now
    1969 camaro ss

i painted mine with a gun gloss black and cleared them so they are just as shiny as my car i also bought the stickers off ebay for 9 bucks that says camaro ss...my calipers are 4th gen on my 69 camaro

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I did mine this week with the Black Dupli color brush on kit. Only thing that I was irritated by was the caliper paint was chunky and took almost a half hour to stir the chunks out, might have been old, but was only black I could find around here in brush on and only box left. Overall it looks great though, painted the rotor too to cover the area that rusts.

Red
    02 Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler
    I did mine this week with the Black Dupli color brush on kit. Only thing that I was irritated by was the caliper paint was chunky and took almost a half hour to stir the chunks out, might have been old, but was only black I could find around here in brush on and only box left. Overall it looks great though, painted the rotor too to cover the area that rusts.

Must have been old paint both of mine have been fine. The best way to do it is put the paint on thick and you dont have as bad of streaks from the brush. I painted the rotors also up to the rust line lol, after a good sanding and cleaning. The brush on lasts pretty good also. The paint on my grand am's calipers/rotors was still looking good after 3 years, 50k miles on them.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

After I stirred the hell out of it and did the one wheel, the following week I did the rest and wasn't chunky. I did notice if you do it out of the sun and on a cool day you get less brush marks since the paint doesn't dry as quick as your putting it on. I used a hair dryer between coats and a 5 minute use of the hair dryer was good enough to touch the newly painted areas and not leave finger prints. A good option too, is go to harbor freight if there is one in the area and buy a 36 brush set(is like $3), is the same type of brush that comes in the kit and you have 36 to use, so after each wheel you can use a new one or during. As the paint dries on the brush it gets harder to apply smooth.

Red
    02 Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler
    After I stirred the hell out of it and did the one wheel, the following week I did the rest and wasn't chunky. I did notice if you do it out of the sun and on a cool day you get less brush marks since the paint doesn't dry as quick as your putting it on. I used a hair dryer between coats and a 5 minute use of the hair dryer was good enough to touch the newly painted areas and not leave finger prints. A good option too, is go to harbor freight if there is one in the area and buy a 36 brush set(is like $3), is the same type of brush that comes in the kit and you have 36 to use, so after each wheel you can use a new one or during. As the paint dries on the brush it gets harder to apply smooth.
    I noticed that also.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Anyone know where I could get gold caliper paint??

My T/A is Sport Gold Metallic, and I can't seem to find any paint-on caliper paint in gold, only in a spray can which is tough when the caliper is still attached to the car

Red
    02 Z28 A4

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Speedn108
    Heres a few that have gold.
    Thanks for the links. They are more expensive than the Duplicolor, but I suppose its probably worth it compared to trying to spray paint them

Thread Information