Black
    1999 TransAmSexual

ASP underdrive pully (Crank)

Was tricky to find the correct belt size, but after installed I noticed better throttle response 'kik'.
    -Worth it.

Red
    99 Z28

i just got my new pully from slp and i was wondering where to findout if you got the rite belt ive got Goodyear Gatorback Poly-V Serpentine ,the install instructions say i need a different belt what do you think i should do?

Black
    1999 TransAmSexual

Well im no expert, but i would get what they tell you to get, especially if they tell you to get a certain size. Does it say why you should get their belt?

It was a bitch to find a belt for my car when it decided to fly off on the highway when i was wasting a import...

Red
    99 Z28

I dont remeber the part number it said but i do recall it saying to get those or something equall to.Im not going to even bother whith it rite now im gunna do the install as soon as I get my long tubes and true duals from TSP(there out at the moment) but as soon as I get the duals ill do the install and find out if the belts i got are the rite ones. thanx for your input.

flat black
    i called ASP and they gave me the Gates belt part numbers and had napa cross reference those...Gates makes napa belts

Silver
    2002 Z28

I have the Gator belts, my shop told me the right size belts I needed.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Well, I got the right belts...
    Part #: 760K6
    Part #: 378K4

My ASP seemed heavy, but holy christ, the stock crank pulley is like a 100lb wagon wheel compared to it. Now my car revs quicker up top. No complaints!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

How was the install of the new crank pulley. Pretty simple (I gather it entailed loosening the bolts, pulling the old belt, installing the new pulley, tighten the new bolts and installing the new belt)? How is the clearance?

I changed the crank pulley on my L98 Corvette, however I'm guessing it might be a little tougher with the LS1 because of clearance issues.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    How was the install of the new crank pulley. Pretty simple (I gather it entailed loosening the bolts, pulling the old belt, installing the new pulley, tighten the new bolts and installing the new belt)? How is the clearance?

I changed the crank pulley on my L98 Corvette, however I'm guessing it might be a little tougher with the LS1 because of clearance issues.
    I used an impact gun w/ a swivel extension and the GM small 3prong puller. The puller cleared the front of the crank pulley (just barely)... And a lift would def make things easier on ya if one's available to you.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

How's the electrical system seem now?? After the install. Do you have any charging probs??

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    How's the electrical system seem now?? After the install. Do you have any charging probs??
    No... I blast my music on idle at a light or something and it drops down to right above the red on the gauge and climbs back up. My headlights (w/ HID kit) don't dim at all either. If you have a big stereo system, they do make some really good altenators you can swap your stock one out w/ if that's your concern.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

what companies make these altenators

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Thanks for the info.

7camaro7: the high amp alternators can be found at summit and a bunch of other websites. There are different manufacturers but most are pretty good. You can get 100, 140, 160, and 200 amp alternators. Obviously, the higher the output, the higher the price too.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I want to keep my car strictly performance but I want a system too! I don't think I'm going to do it.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    I want to keep my car strictly performance but I want a system too! I don't think I'm going to do it.
    I can sell you a pretty good setup (Amp & Sub) that I know works w/ the UD Pulley if you're interested man. Only reason I took it out was cause I need the money to pay some bills. PM me if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    I installed my ASP pulley. Ya I have noticed the charging system struggles a little bit, especially at night when I have the lights on. And I see a decrease in volts when the secondary fan kicks on. But what really bothers me the most is the cooling aspect of it.
    Before the pulley change the secondary fan would never run, even when sitting still and idling.
    Now the secondary fan comes on all the time,,,and when it's idling the secondary fan will never shut off until I (at the very least) put the car in neutral and hold the engine around 1,500 rpms, then the temp comes down, the water pump simply does not turn fast enough now.
    And the scary part is,,,,it's not even 70 degrees outside yet
    I run the 160 thermostat,,and have the fans programmed. Primary fan comes on at 180 and off at 176...but it can no longer cool the car on it's own with the ASP pulley. So I have the secondary fan come on at 182 to help,,,and it also shuts off at 176 along with the primary fan,,,,but only if I keep the rpms up or the car is actually moving.
    I am a little skeptical how it's going to work when the temps get into the 90's and I have the A/C blasting. I may take it back off and stick the stock pulley back on. This wasn't a problem before the pulley change,,,and it starting to look like the tiny HP gain is not worth it to me. Larry.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething View Post
    I can sell you a pretty good setup (Amp & Sub) that I know works w/ the UD Pulley if you're interested man. Only reason I took it out was cause I need the money to pay some bills. PM me if you're interested.
    Thanks but I think I've turned into a professional racer trying to save weight and all... j/k

Thanks though.

Thread Information