Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thinking about buying a 2014 Camaro 2SS

This is a discussion on Thinking about buying a 2014 Camaro 2SS within the General Help forums, part of the 5th Generation Chevrolet Camaro 2010 - 2015 category; The people who already have the one you are thinking about getting are horribly biased. So you are asking question ...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

The people who already have the one you are thinking about getting are horribly biased. So you are asking question to people who are gonna answer the same manner. "I made the right decision" "This is the best car evarrrrr". Now if you could find someone who owns all of these cars that would be the best opinion.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I know lol.. I at least want to make sure i'm going to be happy with the decision, and the biased ones with the car will give me the best answer for that part This thread has lasted much longer than I thought. It's nice to fill up with a ton of knowledge and opinions though.

Anybody in the LS1 forums own a 5.0, SRT8, and SS?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We have a 2012 Challenger in the garage -- yes, it is a big car. Beside the overall look of the car, the spartan interior in it is actually part of the attraction. Back in the day, muscle cars didn't have widgets and gizmos... they had a stick between the seats, two or three pedals on the floor and a steering wheel. Lots of them didn't even have a good gauge set from the factory.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

For me if it was between a 5.0, a SS, or a SRT8 I would hate to say it but I would go with the SRT8. The main reason is the overall aggressiveness, comfort, and performance. I have a Charger RT and it is pretty fast for how heavy it is. The interior is nice and the new ones are even nicer, I have a 06. The ride is also pretty comfortable as well. The best thing you can do if you are bent on a new car is test drive each of them and make your decision then. People can tell you their opinions but only you can make the decision for you.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 06-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Well if we throw in the Charger then the Chevy SS would be on my list....

Black/ Silver

Good point I forgot about the Chevy SS, which I would get as well but it doesn't look as aggressive to me. I think it is over his budget based on previous comments as they start at around $45,000.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    For me if it was between a 5.0, a SS, or a SRT8 I would hate to say it but I would go with the SRT8. The main reason is the overall aggressiveness, comfort, and performance. I have a Charger RT and it is pretty fast for how heavy it is. The interior is nice and the new ones are even nicer, I have a 06. The ride is also pretty comfortable as well. The best thing you can do if you are bent on a new car is test drive each of them and make your decision then. People can tell you their opinions but only you can make the decision for you.
    Curious how many miles do you have on the R/T and has it needed any front end or work or does it currently need some front end work?

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I would go charger. Keyword is "would", but it kills me that it's not offered in manual. I'd get the body right before the dodge dart rip-off.

Jeff and will, great summary's. I knew keeping true to the original interiors would be a niche for the car. I wish I grew up in the original muscle era. Hell I'll go test drive a Challenger, Charger. why not.

Let's not get out of hand here I got price on my mind lol. A SRT8 challenger, brand new, is more than a brand new Camaro SS. I'm not sure about a 5.0, but a Chevy SS starts at 43. Ouch. A used SRT8 however is at par with a brand new camaro ss.

I think the Camaro SS with RS LEDs is the meanest front of any car offered today. Challenger would come in close second, and ford taurus..sorry, mustang 3rd. Then ugly ass 2015 charger last.

Arctic White, red/gray

The 2011+ challenger SRT8s have 470hp which is awesome. Rumor has it the 2015 challenger/charger srt8 will have 500hp N/A. That is also awesome. And of course the new hellcat that everyone is talking about will have over 600hp but I am sure that will be a 60-70k car.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Curious how many miles do you have on the R/T and has it needed any front end or work or does it currently need some front end work?
    90k with no issues why? I have the R/T Daytona.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The 2011+ challenger SRT8s have 470hp which is awesome. Rumor has it the 2015 challenger/charger srt8 will have 500hp N/A. That is also awesome. And of course the new hellcat that everyone is talking about will have over 600hp but I am sure that will be a 60-70k car.
    Picked up a 2012 SRT8 about a month and a half ago and it's pretty legit. Car handles great, stops on a dime, and has great power. Its just heavy...
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Arctic White, red/gray

Because every dodge I have test driven, or been in that hasn't recently had front end work needed front end work. I test drove a charger r/t with 25k miles on it that needed ball joints. As well as a crap ton of trucks with sub 50k miles that need from end work. My moms 2010 ram needs ball joints with 55k miles on it. She only uses it to tow her camper and haul light loads of stuff. My aunts 200X 300c needs ball joints. Just was curious about your expierence with the car as everyones is different. And for some reason I want to believe dodge has been sorting out thesefront end issues as I love the challenger and have been thinking of making it my next purchase. If I can stop buying guns, dirtbikes and ATVs that is.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 06-12-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Anybody else here, besides Tom, have a new 2SS? What about a 5.0 Mustang? I'm hearing lots of love for Challenger here. Anybody have a QM and 0-60 time on that SRT8?

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    Anybody else here, besides Tom, have a new 2SS? What about a 5.0 Mustang? I'm hearing lots of love for Challenger here. Anybody have a QM and 0-60 time on that SRT8?
    The srt8 at least the 2014 model quarter mile is mid to high 12s and the 0 to 60 is high 4s.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

A year and a half ago I rented a 5.0 Mustang while on a business trip for my company. It would light the tires up and get sideways at 20mph with ease. Foot brake it and there is little traction with the stock tires.

On a Mopar side note I really like that they've brought back the "Shaker" and "6-pack" style hoods. They look outstanding!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    Picked up a 2012 SRT8 about a month and a half ago and it's pretty legit. Car handles great, stops on a dime, and has great power. Its just heavy...

The stock brakes on the Challenger are pretty impressive. Probably the best pedal feel and stopping power of any car we own.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I was dead set on getting a SRT8 right before I bought the WS6. It has is all, the only drawbacks are weight, two extra doors, and no manual. Bose, bluetooth, leather, gets sideways, rear wheel drive, etc. Awesome car. If money was no object, I would have a CTS-V. It is everything the SRT8 is, but in spades. I tried to get my girl into an RT, but she is so indecisive it is not even funny. I ended up getting her a Malibu for a steal. I actually really like it, cause it is Chevy, it is silver, and if it gets wrecked, I put $$$$$ in my pocket. Plus, it gets really good gas mileage. I digress. I originally typed up how I relaly liked the look of the Challenger, but I have no experience with one, besides smokin a few......

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

At this point i've got my heart set on a 2014 2SS still. Jeff, better brakes just means shorter life span Jim i'm almost certain I can do that in a SS, but if I can't it only means the tires on that 5.0 were fried!

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

This guy ran mid-high 11's with just bolt-ons on his 2SS. Are you kidding me??? That's comparable to a ZL1! Granted it was on Drag Radials, but still! All i'd need are these bolt ons and a 1le suspension kit after a few years and my next car is set.

Last edited by Guerrillakilla13; 06-13-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

You have to figure out what mods that car has. Bolt ons powerwise but what else? There have been ls1 cars that have run 11s with bolt ons.... and gears.... and a huge stall with drag radials etc.

Thread Information