GM restricting Camaro Z/28 parts so you can't build yourself

This is a discussion on GM restricting Camaro Z/28 parts so you can't build yourself within the General Help forums, part of the 5th Generation Chevrolet Camaro 2010 - 2015 category; Filed under: Car Buying , Coupe , Performance , Chevrolet Chevrolet is apparently making it harder to experience even parts ...

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation GM restricting Camaro Z/28 parts so you can't build yourself

Filed under: Car Buying, Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet

Chevrolet is apparently making it harder to experience even parts of its $75,000, track-biased Camaro Z/28. The entire 500-car production run for the 2014 model year is already either sold or at least reserved by dealers. And it will be months before assembly of the roughly 2,500-car, 2015 model-year run will begin. In theory, though, couldn't someone buy the components that make the Z/28 so special from the Chevy catalog and assemble a clone? Not so fast. It seems GM is one step ahead.

According to GM Authority, the company sent a letter to dealers that limited orders on 35 individual parts that make up the Z/28 package. The list included a mix of mechanical and aesthetic components like the brakes, wheels, differential, body flares, seats, grille and even the emblems.

This is clearly a move by Chevy to protect the exclusivity of the Z/28. As you can understand, it would harm the hardcore car's reputation if a replica could be built easily from a much more basic Camaro powered by a V6. In any case, for the time being, it also means that interested buyers must negotiate for the few remaining 2014 models left, or they have to wait for the 2015s to arrive.GM restricting Camaro Z/28 parts so you can't build yourself a clone originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 30 Apr 2014 13:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I feel 75K+ is still too much for that car. For the same price you can get a Z06 with better performance and resale value. JMO
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

I knew it wouldn't be cheap considering the new SS camaro is already priced too high with sticker prices around here at $45k or more. Hard to swallow when sticker prices for the 5.0 mustangs are in the low $30's and perform just as well. That's why they are outselling the camaro's. I've even seen the 6.4 SRT8 challengers here stickered at $42k, still cheaper than an SS camaro. If I were on the new car performance market, I certainly wouldn't be spending any time at the chevy dealers.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Seems to me that where there is a will there is always a way. If people want to clone it, the parts will be made to do so eventually

I agree. There are probably aftermarket suppliers scrambling right now to make some of these parts, it's just a matter of time. And I'm sure GM is just protecting their investment for the time being, but after a couple years GM will stop making this car (just like everything else they do) and any OEM parts will be likely be available then.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I agree. There are probably aftermarket suppliers scrambling right now to make some of these parts, it's just a matter of time. And I'm sure GM is just protecting their investment for the time being, but after a couple years GM will stop making this car (just like everything else they do) and any OEM parts will be likely be available then.

this or the low sales will force them to look for other means to make money.

Thread Information